IVP Dictionaries?

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 178
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 18 2019 10:03 PM

I heard a professor of NT Exegesis state that the IVP OT & NT Dictionary’s are a good source.  Personally, I have typically shyed away from dictionaries, opting rather for grammars & lexicons (I realize a lexicon is a dictionary).  What would these sources bring to the table that I don’t already have?

Your thoughts?  Thank you in advance!

Posts 18646
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 11:21 PM

These are actually encyclopedias, not really dictionaries in the sense of a lexicon. Can't be compared with a grammar or lexicon. These are in a completely different category. If you already have Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary or ISBE (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia), these might not be something you truly need. But they are very well done.

Here's a screenshot from the Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books:

Posts 178
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 1:02 AM

Rosie Perera:

These are actually encyclopedias, not really dictionaries in the sense of a lexicon. Can't be compared with a grammar or lexicon. These are in a completely different category. If you already have Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary or ISBE (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia), these might not be something you truly need. But they are very well done.

Here's a screenshot from the Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books:

Looks like an interesting read.  Will keep an eye on these.  Thank you again...exactly what I needed to know.

Posts 1084
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 1:39 AM

They're a really great resource, especially for bridging from biblical studies to theology. They go on sale fairly frequently and are worth picking up.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 178
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 1:52 AM

Sean:

They're a really great resource, especially for bridging from biblical studies to theology. They go on sale fairly frequently and are worth picking up.

Excellent!  Thanks much.

Posts 114
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 2:24 AM

Puddin’:

I heard a professor of NT Exegesis state that the IVP OT & NT Dictionary’s are a good source.  

So, I don't have the Logos version, but I do have a print version of "Dictionary of Jesus & the Gospels" 1st ed. This was required reading 18 yrs ago in my Synoptic Gospels class. There are some really good essays in these "Dictionaries". I haven't been able to convince my wife that I really need the digital version of these yet (I need to up my salesmanship game), but they are definitely on my wish list. I enjoyed the print version of the one dictionary I do have. 

Posts 178
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 2:53 AM

Martin Hall:

Puddin’:

I heard a professor of NT Exegesis state that the IVP OT & NT Dictionary’s are a good source.  

So, I don't have the Logos version, but I do have a print version of "Dictionary of Jesus & the Gospels" 1st ed. This was required reading 18 yrs ago in my Synoptic Gospels class. There are some really good essays in these "Dictionaries". I haven't been able to convince my wife that I really need the digital version of these yet (I need to up my salesmanship game), but they are definitely on my wish list. I enjoyed the print version of the one dictionary I do have. 

Thank you much.  From the feedback I am getting, it seems like there is a positive consensus in the community.  Will keep an eye on it.

Posts 6230
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 7:11 AM

Must haves in my opinion 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 8:43 AM

Martin Hall:

haven't been able to convince my wife that I really need the digital version of these yet (I need to up my salesmanship game), but they are definitely on my wish list.

Yes, I'd say your salesmanship needs burnishing. She'd enjoy too. Well, written.

Posts 6230
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 9:20 AM

Denise:

Martin Hall:

haven't been able to convince my wife that I really need the digital version of these yet (I need to up my salesmanship game), but they are definitely on my wish list.

Yes, I'd say your salesmanship needs burnishing. She'd enjoy too. Well, written.

I’d say he should do his job as head of his wife and “buy responsibility” if he needs it. No need to ask for permission 👍😁👌 Many men, like him, don’t seem to get it. I’m sure she doesn’t ask for permission to buy shoes 👠 or clothes, which 99.9% of women have more than plenty and they still think they need more because they “don’t have anything to wear.”

Don’t be a whipped man! Be the head! Love your wife, care for her as the weaker vessel! Be a loving leader, but don’t get into this whipped business where you have to get permission from her to buy something you need.  That won’t make you a bad man or a macho man or a chauvinist. It makes you what God intended — Head of your wife! 

DAL

Posts 188
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 9:26 AM

Puddin’:

I heard a professor of NT Exegesis state that the IVP OT & NT Dictionary’s are a good source.  Personally, I have typically shyed away from dictionaries, opting rather for grammars & lexicons (I realize a lexicon is a dictionary).  What would these sources bring to the table that I don’t already have?

Clarity. Go buy it as soon as you can.

Posts 4596
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 9:27 AM

DAL:

Denise:

Martin Hall:

I’d say he should do his job as head of his wife and “buy responsibility” if he needs it. No need to ask for permission 👍😁👌 Many men, like him, don’t seem to get it. I’m sure she doesn’t ask for permission to buy shoes 👠 or clothes, which 99.9% of women have more than plenty and they still think they need more because they “don’t have anything to wear.”

Don’t be a whipped man! Be the head! Love your wife, care for her as the weaker vessel! Be a loving leader, but don’t get into this whipped business where you have to get permission from her to buy something you need.  That won’t make you a bad man or a macho man or a chauvinist. It makes you what God intended — Head of your wife! 

DAL

Tried that last week - I'll probably get back in the house by the end of the month. It is a nice garden shed though.  :-)

Posts 2182
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 9:44 AM

DAL:

DAL

Just guessing that you do not do marriage counseling at your church....

Posts 6230
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 10:17 AM

John Fidel:

DAL:

DAL

Actually, I do! I’m going over the 5 love languages book with a couple. You’re comment just shows you didn’t get the point.

Many man lose their manhood by buying into the nonsense of having to ask permission or the wife is “the neck” and the head moves where ever she wants. That is totally unbiblical and a sin that needs to be dealt with.

If anything, he should talk to his wife and let her know he’s buying (so long as finances are good).

I’m dealing with some severe cases of whipped men in the church is no joke! I’m talking about even elders telling their wives everything that goes on behind closed doors and then the wives let the gossip spread like wild fire. So called ministers that let the women run the Lord’s church and preach what women want to hear.

There should be a balance in marriage, but men and women need to be reminded of the specific roles God has given them. God is the head of Christ, Christ is the head of man and man is the head of the woman. Just as Christ submitted to God, so women should submit to their husbands.  Plain and simple! If you or anyone else has an issue with that you’re pretty much admitting you’re whipped too 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 6230
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 11:29 AM

Mike Binks:

DAL:

Denise:

Martin Hall:

DAL

Tried that last week - I'll probably get back in the house by the end of the month. It is a nice garden shed though.  :-)

Haha this reminded me of you! (Not Biblical, but it happens too often):

Posts 6230
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 12:04 PM

John Fidel:

BTW, I don’t have a church. The only one that has a church is Christ...👍😁👌

DAL

PS. Is not about you saying, “You know what I meant,” is about speaking Biblically; hence my response: “I don’t have a church.”

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 1:26 PM

DAL:

John Fidel:

BTW, I don’t have a church. The only one that has a church is Christ...👍😁👌

DAL

PS. Is not about you saying, “You know what I meant,” is about speaking Biblically; hence my response: “I don’t have a church.”

Poor DAL ... trying to help out the guys, using the nearest available choice. And with the statistical preponderance (I dare say overwhelming) of ladies in heaven, maybe DAL's guys need lots of help. Smiling.

More seriously, I've repeatedly found the IVPs a surprising read. Yes, Anchor's wide and deep, but the IVPs seem refreshing.

Posts 2034
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 2:15 PM

Your  NT Exegesis prof is right. You will NOT regret having the IVP OT & NT Dictionaries.

Posts 6230
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 2:59 PM

GaoLu:

Your  NT Exegesis prof is right. You will NOT regret having the IVP OT & NT Dictionaries.

He heard a professor, maybe not his.  I’m just glad I own all of them and now the Spanish department is making them available in Spanish 👍😁👌

Posts 114
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 5:25 PM

DAL:

Denise:

Martin Hall:

DAL

Apparently I started a firestorm with my sarcasm. Trust me when I say that I am not a whipped man & I do lead my wife & our family. In fact, both of are pastors & we have very healthy marriage. We do live on a tight budget, as I work for a homeless shelter & am in the process of starting a ministry that rescues heroin addicts (Adult & Teen Challenge of NW Ohio). That being said, I love me some Logos & my wife (lovingly) teases me that this is my new addiction ($1.7K in the last 4 years). I do not have a book budget, and our new ministry does not contribute much to our finances. 

All of that being said, spending money on Bible software is not high on our list of priorities, but I value what I do have (Silver, plus Bronze Reformed, & Full Feature set). 

Thank you DAL for investing in men, we need more of it!

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS