IVP Dictionaries?

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 6:06 PM

Martin Hall:
Trust me when I say that I am not a whipped man & I do lead my wife & our family.

Sad that you had to explain. Your words (and transparent attempt at humor) were wrenched out of context.

If you have the print copies, Logos versions are "nice to haves" but not really necessary. I hope your finances improve with time. God bless.

Posts 6157
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 6:10 PM

Dear Martin Hall,

Pardon my being a little over zealous, but dealing with a lot of the nonsense lately has made me a little paranoid, I guess.  I've even had to deal with couples who are made up of a wife that thinks her money is hers and his money is his and everything should be separate, but she (being a wife) is entitle to take some of his money, but not the other way around.

I've even encountered nonsense that comes up in the form of a wife refusing to take her husband's last name.  Sometimes we announce, "We will have our Saturday devotional at the home of the 'Smiths;' and the wife quickly jumps and says, "Nah uh, at the home of the Smith and Jackson family." And some of the men were getting into the habit of announcing the devotionals and before they said any last names, they would ask the husband what his last name was and the wife what her last name was, so they could announce it as "Smith and Jackson" or "Lopez and Rodriguez" home devotional.

I had to step in and correct that, just like I've had to correct a lot of other nonsense going on.  Unfortunately, men are failing miserably at taking up on the role of leaders, and with the feminists movement corrupting a lot of our women, it's easy to pick up bad habits and bring them over to the Lord's church.

But anyway, keep investing in people, we need more of that; especially in the addictions department -- Not too many want to do that.

DAL

Posts 6157
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 6:14 PM

Lee:

Martin Hall:
Trust me when I say that I am not a whipped man & I do lead my wife & our family.

Sad that you had to explain. Your words (and transparent attempt at humor) were wrenched out of context.

If you have the print copies, Logos versions are "nice to haves" but not really necessary. I hope your finances improve with time. God bless.

Well, Lee, a little explanation doesn't hurt.  It prevents a lot of misunderstandings; I'm sure you know that; especially when teaching the Bible. ;-)

DAL

Posts 114
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 6:29 PM

DAL:

Dear Martin Hall,

Pardon my being a little over zealous, but dealing with a lot of the nonsense lately has made me a little paranoid, I guess.  I've even had to deal with couples who are made up of a wife that thinks her money is hers and his money is his and everything should be separate, but she (being a wife) is entitle to take some of his money, but not the other way around.

I've even encountered nonsense that comes up in the form of a wife refusing to take her husband's last name.  Sometimes we announce, "We will have our Saturday devotional at the home of the 'Smiths;' and the wife quickly jumps and says, "Nah uh, at the home of the Smith and Jackson family." And some of the men were getting into the habit of announcing the devotionals and before they said any last names, they would ask the husband what his last name was and the wife what her last name was, so they could announce it as "Smith and Jackson" or "Lopez and Rodriguez" home devotional.

I had to step in and correct that, just like I've had to correct a lot of other nonsense going on.  Unfortunately, men are failing miserably at taking up on the role of leaders, and with the feminists movement corrupting a lot of our women, it's easy to pick up bad habits and bring them over to the Lord's church.

But anyway, keep investing in people, we need more of that; especially in the addictions department -- Not too many want to do that.

DAL

No Worries DAL, I have been preaching about Biblical Manhood for quite some time & greatly appreciate what you are doing. 

Posts 176
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 9:03 PM

Thank you for every response.  I’m sold on these works...literally 😜!  Will keep an eye on them for a sale.

DAL - I may get blistered for this, but I am dealing w. the identical sin in the church I pastor.  In fact, it has split our church right down the middle.  The women are smarter and more manipulative than the men...and eventually lead them away.  Our church theme song should be, “Where she leads me I will follow” 😳.  Although, I do realize that Martin was merely being facetious.  

I rarely hear any of my colleague ministers address the situation.  Conversely, the man should honor the wife and be gentle w. her.

Can contact me in private for more info.  I would suggest every single church member purchase Council of Biblical Headship volumes.  Also excellent works by Grudem, Carson, Köstenberger, and Schreiner.

God bless!

Posts 176
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 9:11 PM

Martin Hall:

DAL:

Dear Martin Hall,

DAL

No Worries DAL, I have been preaching about Biblical Manhood for quite some time & greatly appreciate what you are doing. 

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Posts 3112
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 9:53 PM

Just a friendly reminder that we're meant to be a forum for/about Logos Bible Software.

Theological discussions are best suited for other web sites, such as ChristianDiscourse.

I'd also hope we could be more loving and not share specific shortcomings concerning anyone in our local church.

Posts 26026
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 11:54 PM

DAL:

Pardon my being a little over zealous, but dealing with a lot of the nonsense lately has made me a little paranoid, I guess.  I've even had to deal with couples who are made up of a wife that thinks . . .

I've even encountered nonsense that comes up in the form of a wife . . . .

Don't expect any sympathy from my part of the country but I'll let you have your opinion even when expressed in terms . . . But I have a great story of a husband trying to take his wife's name, for very good reasons, in the late 70's. . .

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 114
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 12:02 AM

DAL:

Unfortunately, men are failing miserably at taking up on the role of leaders, and with the feminists movement corrupting a lot of our women, it's easy to pick up bad habits and bring them over to the Lord's church.

DAL

DAL,

As I was thinking about what you wrote, it got me to thinking. Have you ever heard of "Every Man A Warrior"? This is a Men's Ministry that really helps men engage in Scripture & become the leaders God has created them to be. Going through this with a small group of men is actually what led me to the Logos software almost 5 years ago. I have since led 4 additional small groups through this. It is fantastic. Since L8 has come out, I created a WF based on the Quiet Times from this series (QT - EMAW). Below is the website if you are interested. It is an awesome series for the men of your local church to go through & will radically change the dynamics of your community. 

http://everymanawarrior.com 

Martin

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 12:27 PM

DAL:

Dear Martin Hall,

DAL

DAL:  Like you, this is a topic I am very passionate about.  In my church, when it becomes knowledge that I will be speaking on this topic, other classes visit because of my approach and discussion. I started typing up an entire comment on this and erased it all because I'm not trying to open up a can of worms.  Instead, I'll just say this:

1)  What a wonderful apology and explanation of your zealousness.

2)  I completely agree with your comments above.

Blessings!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 176
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 6:11 PM

Martin Hall:

DAL:

Unfortunately, men are failing miserably at taking up on the role of leaders, and with the feminists movement corrupting a lot of our women, it's easy to pick up bad habits and bring them over to the Lord's church.

DAL

DAL,

As I was thinking about what you wrote, it got me to thinking. Have you ever heard of "Every Man A Warrior"? This is a Men's Ministry that really helps men engage in Scripture & become the leaders God has created them to be. Going through this with a small group of men is actually what led me to the Logos software almost 5 years ago. I have since led 4 additional small groups through this. It is fantastic. Since L8 has come out, I created a WF based on the Quiet Times from this series (QT - EMAW). Below is the website if you are interested. It is an awesome series for the men of your local church to go through & will radically change the dynamics of your community. 

Martin

Martin - this looks really interesting, and something that the church I pastor could perhaps benefit from (you just wouldn’t believe it all if I told you).

I am considering buying some of these for every man in the church, but I would like to know if this is books, videos, or classes?  Just want to ensure that the men here will read these works If I buy them.

Thank you for providing this link.

Posts 114
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 9:02 PM

Puddin’:

DAL:

DAL,

Martin

Martin - this looks really interesting, and something that the church I pastor could perhaps benefit from (you just wouldn’t believe it all if I told you).

I am considering buying some of these for every man in the church, but I would like to know if this is books, videos, or classes?  Just want to ensure that the men here will read these works If I buy them.

Puddin,

I would be hesitant to buy this for every man in your church, while I think that the investment is worth it, the investment needs to come from the individual man. Each time I have gone through this, I have watched & not every participant actually will complete. This has to come from a desire from the individual man. What I would recommend is giving their national office a call (402-420-0300), I know that they would love to hear from you. I think that they would probably recommend some sort of Men's Retreat where this would be featured, they might even send out a delegate to talk about it. This is how I discovered it, listening to Lonnie Berger himself. He has a great story that leads to the creation of this ministry. 

I pray that this is helpful. This ministry rocked my world & drew me back into a love of Scripture & ultimately back into ministry. 

Another series that I am currently going through, which seems to be just as transforming is EHS (Emotionally Healthy Spirituality) with Peter Scazzero (www.emotionallyhealthy.org). I would recommend this series for couples, it is very good. 

Blessings, 

Martin 

Posts 176
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:15 AM

Martin Hall:

Puddin’:

DAL:

DAL,

Martin

Puddin,

I would be hesitant to buy this for every man in your church, while I think that the investment is worth it, the investment needs to come from the individual man. Each time I have gone through this, I have watched & not every participant actually will complete. This has to come from a desire from the individual man. What I would recommend is giving their national office a call (402-420-0300), I know that they would love to hear from you. I think that they would probably recommend some sort of Men's Retreat where this would be featured, they might even send out a delegate to talk about it. This is how I discovered it, listening to Lonnie Berger himself. He has a great story that leads to the creation of this ministry. 

I pray that this is helpful. This ministry rocked my world & drew me back into a love of Scripture & ultimately back into ministry. 

Another series that I am currently going through, which seems to be just as transforming is EHS (Emotionally Healthy Spirituality) with Peter Scazzero (www.emotionallyhealthy.org). I would recommend this series for couples, it is very good. 

Blessings, 

Martin 

Sounds good.  Looking into these right now.  Thanks much!

Posts 6157
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 2:57 AM

Thank you, Martin and Puddin, for pointing out these great resources.  I’ll definitely check them out πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ

DAL

Posts 619
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 4:05 AM

Mike Binks:
Tried that last week - I'll probably get back in the house by the end of the month. It is a nice garden shed though.  :-)

LOL!

Posts 475
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 11:09 AM

Hey Michael, don't laugh, you are next ;) Wink

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS