THEOLOGY GUIDE NEEDS WORK

Page 2 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 66 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 2992
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2019 2:41 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

This is just coming to my attention, and I'd like to apologize for how we did a poor job of setting your expectations for what to expect with the Theology Guide. The priority was to deliver the ST dataset, survey resource, and media, knowing that we'd not deliver the alignment with the full ST catalog that we or our users ultimately want. But we didn't have the capacity to do both. Somewhere internally there was a miscommunication or misunderstanding between the people who built the Theology Guide and the people who described it on the website. We didn't do a good enough job reviewing the materials to make sure they accurately reflected the state of things as they were at launch rather than what we'd like them to be in the future. This was not an attempt to mislead but a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing. I'm sorry for that.

I'm working with the teams to revise the communication to make sure it's accurate and sets the right expectations for users and to make sure we have better systems in place to catch these kinds of things before they make it outside the building in the future.

I'm also working to accelerate alignment for the rest of our ST catalog. We did the first small batch internally. Our external team is now trained and beginning to work through the long list of STs. We should have many more showing up within a month or so, if all goes according to plan.

I'm sorry for how we failed to communicate well and set your expectations for what to expect and for the slow progress in getting more STs aligned.

Thanks for the update Phil. I know you and the team are working hard on MANY aspects of Logos 8 and it has been encouraging to see steady progress. For example, I can now apply my labels again!

Thank you for your humble attitude and transparency when you make a mistake. Keep up the good work my friend.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2019 7:22 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I'm sorry for how we failed to communicate well and set your expectations for what to expect and for the slow progress in getting more STs aligned.

Apology accepted. I hope that your push to improve communication also is more cautious on the use of "all" when "most" is what is implemented and identification of trials rather than allowing us to assume the features will continue to be maintained. And, perhaps, a final push on the documentation of datasets where you made real progress that has proved to be quite useful.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1073
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2019 7:34 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

I'm also working to accelerate alignment for the rest of our ST catalog. We did the first small batch internally. Our external team is now trained and beginning to work through the long list of STs. We should have many more showing up within a month or so, if all goes according to plan.

Thank you, Phil, for your update. Whenever I see that you have posted in a thread, I know it's going to be a helpful and informative addition.

I hope you are successful in getting this tool to a more useful state soon.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2019 1:50 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
This is just coming to my attention, and I'd like to apologize for how we did a poor job of setting your expectations for what to expect with the Theology Guide. The priority was to deliver the ST dataset, survey resource, and media, knowing that we'd not deliver the alignment with the full ST catalog that we or our users ultimately want. But we didn't have the capacity to do both. Somewhere internally there was a miscommunication or misunderstanding between the people who built the Theology Guide and the people who described it on the website. We didn't do a good enough job reviewing the materials to make sure they accurately reflected the state of things as they were at launch rather than what we'd like them to be in the future. This was not an attempt to mislead but a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing. I'm sorry for that.

I'm working with the teams to revise the communication to make sure it's accurate and sets the right expectations for users and to make sure we have better systems in place to catch these kinds of things before they make it outside the building in the future.

Forgiven, and thank you.

Posts 914
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 10:01 AM

I wanted to let you know that we're currently in the process of annotating a large batch of Systematic Theology resources. They are a mix Systematic Theology resources found in Platinum and Verbum base packages.

You won't see any updates on Monday but on March 18th and April 1 (No joke) we're planning on substantial updates where you'll see approximately 50-90 new resources appearing in the Systematic Theology section of the Theology Guide.

Updates will continue after this but I wanted to prepare you all for this initial round of updates.

Thank you for your patience on this. We're also glad you're all excited about the Guide.

Posts 2992
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 10:03 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

I wanted to let you know that we're currently in the process of annotating a large batch of Systematic Theology resources. They are a mix Systematic Theology resources found in Platinum and Verbum base packages.

You won't see any updates on Monday but on March 18th and April 1 (No joke) we're planning on substantial updates where you'll see approximately 50-90 new resources appearing in the Systematic Theology section of the Theology Guide.

Updates will continue after this but I wanted to prepare you all for this initial round of updates.

Thank you for your patience on this. We're also glad you're all excited about the Guide.

Will there be a list of what works are included in the guide? If not, I would like to suggest keeping up an ongoing list. I think it is important people know what is being searched and what is not.

How to upload logs

Posts 1008
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 11:01 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

on March 18th and April 1 (No joke) we're planning on substantial updates where you'll see approximately 50-90 new resources appearing in the Systematic Theology section of the Theology Guide.

Updates will continue after this

Exciting news. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 1813
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 11:04 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Thanks Kyle

Looking forward to this update.

Keep up the good work.

Posts 1073
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 4:25 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

I'm very happy to hear this. I also appreciate your updating us very much.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 4:56 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Now that's good progress!

Kyle G. Anderson:
They are a mix Systematic Theology resources found in Platinum and Verbum base packages.

Thank you for remembering Verbum.

Posts 401
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 12:46 PM

I hope the theology guide will work with multiple forms of the same resource. For example, when Calvin's institutes are tagged and aligned with the guide I won't need to have a specific version (eg. Battles, etc.) in order to make use of the guide. Similarly, if/when the Westminster Confession/catechisms are tagged, the tags will work with all available versions and not just the one in the Platinum base package. 

Please :-)

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 2775
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 3:36 PM

Liam Maguire:
I hope the theology guide will work with multiple forms of the same resource.

This request is actually a lot bigger deal than many realize. There are quite a number of multiple-version resources, and even more resources in multiple editions.

I hope your wish is recognized for its importance by the FL folks.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 6:10 PM

Doc B:
This request is actually a lot bigger deal than many realize. There are quite a number of multiple-version resources, and even more resources in multiple editions.

I would be surprised if it were not as it is the general practice to link through milestones/datatypes where they are available. Where the problem occurs is where the resource is indexed by page number and a new edition is released.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 8:49 AM

Liam Maguire:

I hope the theology guide will work with multiple forms of the same resource. For example, when Calvin's institutes are tagged and aligned with the guide I won't need to have a specific version (eg. Battles, etc.) in order to make use of the guide. Similarly, if/when the Westminster Confession/catechisms are tagged, the tags will work with all available versions and not just the one in the Platinum base package. 

Please :-)

For resources that have their own data type (like Calvin's Institutes), it should work with multiple editions. 

This list of data types looks fairly recent. If you see an issue once this next round of updates are released, let us know and we'll see what we can do about it. 

Posts 401
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 11:26 AM

Sean Boisen:

For resources that have their own data type (like Calvin's Institutes), it should work with multiple editions. 

This list of data types looks fairly recent. If you see an issue once this next round of updates are released, let us know and we'll see what we can do about it. 

Thanks Sean! :-D

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 914
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:46 AM

Quick Update:

On Monday, March 18th we're shipping an update to the LSTO data base. It will include new LSTO alignments for 15 resources:

The Church (Bloesch)
The Church (Clowney)
Eschatology, or the Catholic Doctrine of the Last Things (Pohle)
Foundations of the Christian Faith (Boice)
God: His Knowability, Essence, and Attributes, A Dogmatic Treatise (Pohle)
Understanding Theology, Volume One (Kendall)
Understanding Theology, Volume Two (Kendall)
The Last Things (Bloesch)
Mariology (Pohle)
The Person of Christ (Macleod)
The Providence of God (Helm)
The Revelation of God (Jensen)
Soteriology: A Dogmatic Treatise on the Redemption (Pohle)
Epilogue (von Balthasar)
The Work of Christ (Letham)

April 1st Plan:

• We have new LSTO alignments for 12 more resources that are basically ready to go but didn't quite make the shipping cut-off. They will be in the April 1 update.
  • We have additional new LSTO alignments for 55 more resources that are scheduled to be finished next week.
  • I'm hoping all 55 can be processed by the cut-off for April 1 but I will keep you updated as we get closer to the April 1.

General Notes:

• The 82 resources receiving LSTO annotations are the Systematic Theology resource type resources that are found in top-of-the-line Logos 8 base packages for the standard track and Verbum.
  • We've approved production for the remainder of systematic theology resources in our library. They will be delivered in regular updates through the remainder of 2019 though I'm targeting an early Fall finish.
  • For all new Systematic Theology resources we will be performing LSTO annotation as a part of their production. However due to system constraints and shipping schedules there may be a one-week lag between when the resource ships and when it appears in the data base.
Posts 4548
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:49 AM

That's good news Kyle. Thanks for the update

Posts 2992
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 10:58 AM

This sounds like a solid plan Kyle. Thanks for the update and the tentative timelines.

How to upload logs

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 11:50 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
On Monday, March 18th we're shipping an update to the LSTO data base.

I do not have the Theology Guide, but I am finding it much more enticing with more within it.

I am keeping a list of volumes utilized within this Guide.

What were the first 5 books systemized this way?  Could some one please provide a list?

Thank you so much.

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 2:00 PM
  • Packer, J. I. Concise Theology: A Guide to Historic Christian Beliefs. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House, 1993.
  • Ryrie, Charles Caldwell. Basic Theology: A Popular Systematic Guide to Understanding Biblical Truth. Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1999.
  • Hodge, Charles. Systematic Theology. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997.
  • Strong, Augustus Hopkins. Systematic Theology. Philadelphia: American Baptist Publication Society, 1907.
  • Berkhof, L. Systematic Theology. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans publishing co., 1938.

Page 2 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS