Incorrectly Categorized Commentary?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 401
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 27 2019 3:09 AM

I think this Smyth & Helwys Bible Commentary should be classified as a "Bible Commentary" rather than a "Monograph". I am fully aware that not all books with 'commentary' in the title are versified commentaries or belong in the Bible commentary category. But I think this one does.

Gupta, Nijay K. The Lord’s Prayer. Edited by Leslie Andres. Smyth & Helwys Bible Commentary. Macon, GA: Smyth & Helwys Publishing, Incorporated, 2017.**

**For the record, the typo in the above citation is exactly how it displays in the program.

Posts 26537
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2019 3:09 PM

It does not have a Bible index so it cannot be a Bible commentary.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 401
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 2:11 AM

MJ. Smith:

I see. Too bad. Thanks though.

Posts 2
Nijay Gupta | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 9:24 AM

As the author of the book I can attest.

-It is a commentary 

-It says "Bible Commentary" on the front

-the series description refers to it as a commentary

-the book description refers to it as a commentary

-the endorsements refer to it as a commentary

I am not sure the presence or absence of an index could change any of that. 

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 9:35 AM

MJ. Smith:

What MJ means is that it cannot be designated as a Bible commentary unless a Bible index (AKA milestones) were added first.

IMO, this isn’t not a Bible commentary. If it is a commentary, it’s a (thematic?) commentary on the Lord’s Prayer — but if you look at the book, it jumps around all over the place. It’s not going through the Biblical text verse-by-verse, as commentaries do.

Posts 2
Nijay Gupta | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 9:38 AM

Its a commentary on a distinct portion of Scripture, moving through it in a continuous fashion, with the chapters divided specifically according to the flow of the Lord's Prayer. The "Lord's Prayer" is not known as a theme. It is known as a text from the Bible. 

Posts 165
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 10:44 AM

Not sure how anyone can think this is anything *other* than a commentary. As Nijay said, it says commentary on the cover, in the description of the series, in the how to use this commentary (not monograph), pretty much on almost every page it describes itself as a commentary. It is even catalogued in DDS as a commentary.

Cliff

Posts 10051
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 11:08 AM

Clifford B. Kvidahl:

Not sure how anyone can think this is anything *other* than a commentary. As Nijay said, it says commentary on the cover, in the description of the series, in the how to use this commentary (not monograph), pretty much on almost every page it describes itself as a commentary. It is even catalogued in DDS as a commentary.

Cliff

Cliff, but that's beside the point. No one claims that Nijay did not write a commentary on the Lord's Prayer (I'd like to read it myself, but the series seems to be sold only as a whole or in base packages from Diamond up (and Baptist Platinum). The point is about the type:bible commentary designation in our libraries. This type requires a bible datatype and the Logos editors did not build it. Maybe it is okay to build this datatype into the book and have it change only every chapter / every 40 pages - but currently Logos has not created it that way and therefore it remains (as the title says) a commentary but can't be changed to a type:bible commentary.   

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 165
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 12:08 PM

NB

Yes, I understand that. But I was responding to Mark mainly, who suggested that this work is not a commentary.

Also, I think Logos is sophisticated enough to figure a way to rectify this so that it is in fact a commentary and the system categorizes it as such.

Cliff

Posts 1000
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 2:28 PM

To expand on what MJ, Mark, and NB.Nick wrote, a Bible Commentary is a unique resource category for us as it covers both a type of resource and drives resource functionality.

In short it needs to be indexed (i.e. organized) by explicit (i.e. not inferred) Bible references that in the vast majority are focused on one book of the bible or the organization follows the canonical order (i.e. it addresses Geneses, then Exodus, etc.).

Because this resource did not meet this criteria it was classified as a monograph.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS