Which 'tradition' to choose

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Ted Sherwood | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 29 2019 3:08 PM

I'm new to Logos.  I'm fairly sure which package to buy, but am stuck on which tradition.  I can use the comparison tool, but that just gives me the different books in each and I don't know enough about the books for that to be helpful.  I know that I don't want a Lutheran, Orthodox, Pentacostal, SDA or Catholic bent, but, like many modern workers, I can usually move between the other traditions without much trouble.  Does that make me 'Standard'?  What made me worry about that conclusion was to see the wide difference in the resources for Standard and Baptist.  I would love to hear from both experts and people who have thoughtfully made the choice.

Posts 1080
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 4:49 PM

The one you pick is the one you’ll be judged by in eternity. Think of this as your Divergent choosing ceremony on a spiritual level.

Personally, I’d call myself a reformed baptist, so I have base packages in standard, baptist, and Anglican. There’s no reason to limit yourself to just one. Find the resources that will interest you the most and go for it.

Posts 9
Ted Sherwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 5:01 PM

Crikey William, that would be expensive!  At USD1934  for the package they recommend for a regular preacher (Platinium), that's nearly six grand because I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool something.  I'll have to look elsewhere.

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 5:12 PM

Welcome to the forums Ted. I applaud you for taking time to reflect on the options that will suit you best. Of course every person will have their preferences. It sounds like you have set your budget which is wise. I would encourage you to compare each option and ask specific questions about resources that you would like more clarification than is on the website.

Which direction you choose also depends on what type of studying/reading you want to do and how you plan to use it. Is it for preaching, teaching, personal interest etc. ?

Another thing to consider is to purchase multiple traditions. I have standard portfolio but have chosen started base packages from most of the traditions to give me a balanced set of resources that represent a variety of views.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1080
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 5:51 PM

Ted Sherwood:

Crikey William, that would be expensive!  At USD1934  for the package they recommend for a regular preacher (Platinium), that's nearly six grand because I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool something.  I'll have to look elsewhere.

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply you needed to buy a certain tier of every tradition you're interested in. I'd say get Gold of the one you "align" with most to get all the features of Logos 8, then check some of the lower levels of the other traditions for other resources that might fill in the gaps. My anglican package is only bronze, I think, but I probably have gold for reformed and baptist. 

Think of Logos as something you build over time. You don't need to invest in everything all at once. You can pick what looks the most interesting right now and then look for killer sales to get what you need to complete your library.

I should also mention that there is a lot of overlap among platinum packages that the checkout process can't show you where there would be savings. You don't ever have to pay twice for a book. So if you call or email sales, you can often realize great savings based on the overlap. Here's my email with sales about my Logos 8 purchase: Me> "What would the price be to get Standard Gold, Baptist Gold and Reformed Gold all in one go?" Sales> "Your price for the three is $405.73." Keep in mind that this was my personal dynamic price based on what I already owned. Yours would be different.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 6:00 PM

When I started off with Logos, I went with a denominational package. Later on, my purchases were primarily based on commentary sets, and if I found a better deal in a different denominational package, I'd purchase that one. By the time Logos 8 rolled around, the standard package turned out to be the best value for its contents, and I skipped my denominational package.

I think you'll find that some of us buy a mix of denominational packages to simply get the resources we need at the best price, regardless of denomination.

Also, to add on to what William shared, make sure to go through Sales to get the best discount if you're going to purchase two or more packages. (You get additional savings on your first L8 order, and Sales can work out dynamic pricing due to any package overlap.)

Please make sure you purchase Logos by February 7th, or you'd miss out on the L8 introductory pricing.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 9
Ted Sherwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 6:29 PM

Thank you Bruce, William and PetaChristian.  Very helpful.

Just to confirm PetaChristian, when you say 'a mix of denominational packages', you mean that after your first package you choose individual resources from across the different traditions?

As for pricing, a reduction for package overlap goes at least some way towards the hefty price for going across traditions.  I am still coming to grips though with the need for investing in more than one base package just because I'm not being embedded in one tradition (a not unusual preacher in this day-and-age)

In L8, it seems sensible to at least start with the package that gives the full feature set, and I'm leaning, after hearing what you guys have said, towards the Standard.  Then supplementing across the traditions as I need.  I am not a theologian, just a preacher who wants to use the Bible and explain the Word properly,  Comments welcome.

I have asked Logos how they choose what they put in the Standard (a default further tradition).

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 6:39 PM

William Gabriel:

The one you pick is the one you’ll be judged by in eternity. Think of this as your Divergent choosing ceremony on a spiritual level.

William, surely you're jesting?

Didn't John hint at the exact opposite? I'm smiling, as St Peter checks your Logos license file. "Hmm ... Silver huh?  Clearly, not right-hand material."

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 7:19 PM

Ted Sherwood:
Just to confirm PetaChristian, when you say 'a mix of denominational packages', you mean that after your first package you choose individual resources from across the different traditions?

Yes, I would choose the tradition that offered the best price for the resources I wanted.

Ted Sherwood:
As for pricing, a reduction for package overlap goes at least some way towards the hefty price for going across traditions.

You don't have to match tiers (e.g., Gold across all traditions you get). For example, if something I wanted came in Lutheran Bronze, I'd just buy that Lutheran tier, even if it's lower than my Standard tier. Other tradition purchases add to what you already own -- they won't cancel anything out or "lower" what you already own.

Ted Sherwood:
I'm leaning, after hearing what you guys have said, towards the Standard.  Then supplementing across the traditions as I need.

Sounds good!

If you happen to need a resource which isn't in any base package, keep in mind that publisher sales occur every so often. If you can be patient and don't need a particular resource immediately, add it to your wishlist and wait for a sale price (instead of buying it at regular price).

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 7:23 PM

William Gabriel:
Think of Logos as something you build over time. You don't need to invest in everything all at once. You can pick what looks the most interesting right now and then look for killer sales to get what you need to complete your library.

I would like to echo these thoughts. For the most part I have waiting for those "killer sales". One such sale is also going on now - https://www.logos.com/special-edition-heiser-collection but it probably is not the best to get started with Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2313
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 12:35 PM

William Gabriel:
I'd say get Gold of the one you "align" with most to get all the features of Logos 8, then check some of the lower levels of the other traditions for other resources that might fill in the gaps.

This is good advice. I had standard platinum in an earlier release, but went with 6 starter or bronze packages in L8 to broaden my exposure to varying trains of thought.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1034
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 1:32 PM

The "Ultimate" tradition

Posts 2322
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 2:06 PM

Denise:

William Gabriel:

William, surely you're jesting?

Didn't John hint at the exact opposite? I'm smiling, as St Peter checks your Logos license file. "Hmm ... Silver huh?  Clearly, not right-hand material."

If you buy Ultimate, which includes all the traditions, you automatically get Peter's Pearly Gate Precheck with much shorter lines.  

Posts 9
Ted Sherwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 3:34 PM

Would somebody please explain to me what the 'Standard' tradition is.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 3:52 PM

Smile

GaoLu:
If you buy Ultimate, which includes all the traditions, you automatically get Peter's Pearly Gate Precheck with much shorter lines.  

I just knew it! 

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1104
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 4:13 PM

Ted Sherwood:

Would somebody please explain to me what the 'Standard' tradition is.

Originally, there weren't separate packages based on tradition or denomination.  When they started adding denominational packages, they renamed their old packages "Standard." The "Standard" packages represent that default that isn't intentionally tailored towards any particular tradition.  If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably describe it as broadly "evangelical."

Posts 34
David Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 4:43 PM

GaoLu:

Only if you've read every page on every resource! Otherwise, it's off to purgatory for you until you finish your reading. Oh wait, wrong tradition. Smile

Posts 8040
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 4:50 PM

Whichever tradition that has the resources you want and are included in it. I’ve picked up several because resources were scattered across different traditions 👍😁👌 Remember, it’s for research 👍

Posts 9
Ted Sherwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 5:01 PM

Thank you EastTN.  Very helpful. 

DAL, sure I can do that after I have purchased something. The very fact that I am quite OK with studying across traditions is my challenge now:  I am only up to the stage of buying LOGOS for the first time, and unless I spend a great deal of money, I am forced to pick a tradition.  But now that the gun at EastTN's head has worked, I think I'll go for the Standard and supplement with individual resources across the traditions.  (Still leaves Starter and up as the choice though.)

Posts 896
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 8:30 PM

This time around I purchased Standard Diamond and Anglican Bronze. I'm toying with the idea of buying Pentacostal Bronze because my price is $65 and for that price I get the Life Application Bible Commentary. That retails at $199. Most of the rest of the stuff in the Pentacostal Bronze package is useless to me, but I probably won't be able to get that one commentary set for a lower price. That's an example of what others are saying by picking up a lower tier denominational package. They have some good resources that you couldn't buy cheaper otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS