The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2116
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 12 2019 12:35 PM

Opinions about this work appreciated. I have LS.

https://www.logos.com/product/168884/the-brill-dictionary-of-ancient-greek 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2416
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 11:04 AM

Larry W. Hurtado:

This work now effectively supersedes the older Liddell-Scott-Jones (LSJ) lexicon.

ditto

Posts 750
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 1:35 PM

That's sort of the common interpretation. The question, for those of us who own LSJ, is whether or not our life (or anyone else's) will be changed radically enough if we spend $100 on the Brill Dictionary. That's what I'm struggling with now.

Posts 2116
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 2:19 PM

My thought too. What more are we getting? LSJ in Logos is a superb resource and it's super well connected to everything. 

It doesn't have to be radical. It just has to have something to distinguish itself besides being declared the frontrunner.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1128
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 3:49 PM

Well, what if one does not have LSJ and prefers this since it is less expensive? Is it better than paying for LSJ at approx. $135?

Posts 2416
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 7:59 PM

A reviewer who compared it to LSJ says:

• The layout is good (as advertised by the publisher).
  • The definitions use contemporary English. (LSJ's language is old-fashioned).
  • Examples of use are also translated into English. (LSJ does not translate examples and assumes the reader will be able to understand them).

So, although very nice to have, it is perhaps not a necessary upgrade. I haven't heard of any examples yet of new, earth-shattering revelation. Anyway, the controversial words and hapaxes will not yield to a cursory lexical investigation and require more work.

If you're into academic work in this area though, it would be a standard reference.

Posts 2116
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 9:19 PM

I can't imagine not having LSJ. At least it's in an academic package, so acquistion isn't the hard swallow. 

Brill looks like a very nice to have. It's something I need to consider more closely. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS