Any student of Hebrew know what passage this is?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 34
DHG | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 13 2019 8:17 PM

Just curious if anyone knows what passage this might be. Thanks in advance.

Posts 1299
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 8:50 PM

First, the picture is upside-down :)

It's at least partially Leviticus 11. I see v. 3 in its entirety, but what comes before and after that doesn't match BHS. There are bits that look Aramaic (more final alephs than you'd expect for Hebrew), plus the Babylonian vocalization (above the consonants; plus in the top line 'ar'o' for Hebrew 'erets, a typical Aramaic shift ) suggests that it's some kind of Aramaic commentary on Leviticus, but I can't quite make it out enough to identify it beyond that. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 45
Chaoyu-Bian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 9:02 PM

DHG:

Just curious if anyone knows what passage this might be. Thanks in advance.

Leviticus 11:4-9

Posts 34
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 9:03 PM

Upsidedown. Funny. Sorry about that. Thanks for the help!

Posts 351
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 9:34 PM

Love the profile picture, DHG!  Makes me want to take a dip in the "cement pond."  Smile

Posts 1215
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 14 2019 2:19 AM

Ben:

First, the picture is upside-down :)

It's at least partially Leviticus 11. I see v. 3 in its entirety, but what comes before and after that doesn't match BHS. There are bits that look Aramaic (more final alephs than you'd expect for Hebrew), plus the Babylonian vocalization (above the consonants; plus in the top line 'ar'o' for Hebrew 'erets, a typical Aramaic shift ) suggests that it's some kind of Aramaic commentary on Leviticus, but I can't quite make it out enough to identify it beyond that. 

If I am not mistaken this picture contains the Masoretic text, the Targum Onkolos and a commentary by the tenth century rabbi Saadia Gaon (RaSaG):

https://www.sefaria.org/Tafsir_Rasag%2C_Leviticus.11?lang=bi 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS