Looking to upgrade - Help me Decide

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 25
Raffaele Paglialunga | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 16 2019 8:26 AM

I have Logos 6 Silver and I had always wanted to upgrade when I could afford to do so.

I am looking at either Logos 8 Silver or something new to me which is Logos 8 Reformed Silver

Does anyone have either one and had you upgrade already from an earlier version.

I am not rushing this decision, looking for feedback

Posts 10101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 8:51 AM

Raffaele Paglialunga:

I am looking at either Logos 8 Silver or something new to me which is Logos 8 Reformed Silver

Does anyone have either one and had you upgrade already from an earlier version.

The best way for you is to look at https://www.logos.com/compare/libraries?productIds=165448,165437 which will compare the library books in both packages (the feature sets should be pretty much the same, since both are Silver level packages). Make sure you set the display to "new to you", which will filter out the stuff you already own from your earlier version (and which you don't pay again for). The stuff shown here is what you'll get for your money if you get either of them. 

(the screenshot will look a little different for everybody - in my case I own all that is contained in Standard Silver, so this is greyed out and bullets are only in the right column)

One additional tip: since dynamic pricing applies, it may be beneficial, once you get the silver package, to look at the starter packages of the several denominational bundles. They may offer a number of books at very affordable prices due to this effect (so one good way would be to get Standard Silver and Reformed Starter, or even Reformed Bronze, on top).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 8:58 AM

Raffaele,

I have most of the contents of both packages so I'll give you my opinion.

To me, Logos Standard Silver is worth more than Reformed Silver. I think the commentary offerings alone set Standard Silver apart. Unless you really need Calvin's commentaries and the incomplete Mentor and New Covenant commentaries, Standard Silver would be my recommendation. You'll get the very helpful Tyndale commentary series which covers the entire Bible. (It is on sale this month for under $200 if you want it separately). You'll also get the Holman and Cornerstone commentaries. All three of these are useful for lay persons.

Standard Silver is stronger on the original languages than Reformed Silver. Reformed Silver will give you a lot more theological works, so if studying reformed theology is important to you, that might make a difference. 

For me Logos Bible Software is primarily about studying the Bible itself and for that purpose Standard Silver is a far better package.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 25
Raffaele Paglialunga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 9:23 AM

Your the best Mark,

That is exactly what I needed to here... I was wavering back and forth because both look great but you have answered EXACTLY what I need to know... 

Later I may add more theology but for now I can wait... 

Logos Standard Silver, here I come 

LOL 

Posts 25
Raffaele Paglialunga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 9:34 AM

Do you happen to have the Reformed Theology Bundle, if not what's your take on ?

Posts 4664
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 9:51 AM

Raffaele I don't know what the level of overlap is between these two offerings but if there is any then if you purchase one and then look at the price of the other is should have reduced.

Posts 25
Raffaele Paglialunga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 9:55 AM

Yeah, I've noticed the price reduction even with things I already own now.

I wanted to upgrade last yr but the funds weren't there, then Logos went from 7 to 8 so I needed to find some more money somewhere and pulled out an old toy tractor I had so I could sell it. 

I was looking to go either Standard or Reformed and now believe I will do Standard 

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 12:02 PM

Raffaele Paglialunga:

Do you happen to have the Reformed Theology Bundle, if not what's your take on ?

No I don't. I have through other means acquired over half of what is included but I don't have the bundle itself. It has Berkhof but misses Boettner, Hoekema, Stott, and Mounce among 20th Century theological resources that are in Reformed Silver. A lot of what is in the bundle is neither primary nor essential, with the possible exception of Berkhof.

The suggestion to see about what your price for Reformed Silver would be after buying Standard Silver is a good one. It would give you many good works of reformed theology. In my opinion that would be a better way to spend your money than on the Reformed Theology Bundle, and you wouldn't have to do it right away, either. You could wait until you have the cash for it while getting the benefit of Standard Silver in the meantime.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 6
Funnyguy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 4:41 PM

Thanks Mark for the great information

Posts 25
Raffaele Paglialunga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 5:07 PM

Yes I will be doing that for sure then... It may be a while before I go Reformed after I start with Silver Basic

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 5:21 PM

Raffaele Paglialunga:

Yes I will be doing that for sure then... It may be a while before I go Reformed after I start with Silver Basic

I'm sure you will enjoy Standard Silver. Faithlife really improved the Standard libraries this time around. Lots of bang for the buck.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 25
Raffaele Paglialunga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 6:52 PM

I DID IT!!!

Just upgraded to Logos 8 Silver

Opening it for the very first time... WOOHOO

Posts 6479
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 9:37 PM

Raffaele Paglialunga:

I DID IT!!!

Opening it for the very first time... WOOHOO

Enjoy! My rule of thumb is to upgrade to the highest Standard BP you can afford and then build from there adding other denominational BP’s. 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 8971
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2019 4:30 PM

Raffaele Paglialunga:

I DID IT!!!

Congrats. I hope you get lots of use out of it.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 1:24 PM

Agree with the other commenters here.  Pay 100% attention to the books you will get for your money that you will actually use.  I understand why Logos packages them as "Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc." after all there must be some coherent delineation. However, the reality is that the different levels simply correspond to different books in the packages. Certainly, the most "bang for your buck" is to move up in packages.  However, once you reach a certain point up the ladder then you might be better served spending the money on resources that aren't included in any of the packages but would be valuable to you on a regular basis.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS