Cannot apply a coupon code (buy base package with 5 free ebooks)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 827
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 16 2019 2:44 PM

The promotion in question is https://www.logos.com/coupon-codes

Here's what happened:

I purchased the platinum base package. And after purchasing it, this coupon code no longer work.

Case 1 (before I purchased the platinum package):

- I added 5 books according to the instruction there

- added platinum package

- added the coupon code as stated there

- discount applied to my cart (all 5 books were $0)

But I didn't make the purchase. I contacted customer support via online chat and I got a deal on the platinum package and I bought it from online chat instead. Hence my coupon code on the 5 free books haven't been applied.

Case 2 (after I purchased the platinum package):

- repeating the same procedure above, except that

- I added some other base packages like the Anglican ones, or Academic, I also selected the optional feature sets which is required for this promo code to work. (feature set is optional if one has Faithlife Connect and will shows up as 2 options, one with the feature set, one without.)

- discount not applied to my cart (all 5 books were originally priced)

I contacted the online chat again, who redirected me to CS (I guess Customer Service), who confirmed that the coupon code should have work for the combinations I added to the cart. He then said that the Products team should be able to manually applied this discount for me. But later when I contacted the Products team again, he refused to do that, even when I showed him the chat transcript.

Even stranger, there's a case 3 that I found out accidentally. In a totally unrelated online chat, I was trying to ask them to fix a certain thing in my previous purchase of Platinum package (that the feature set hasn't been added because I'm on Faithlife Connect and by default the option is not to purchase the feature set.) When the agent was trying to re-invoice my order, my access to the Platinum library was temporarily disabled (i.e. at that time when I go add Platinum to my cart it can be done, as if I didn't own it.)

Case 3 (during reinforcing of the platinum package, where the system behaves as if I didn't own the platinum package):

- following exactly the same procedure in case 2, e.g. with some packages in Anglican / Academic, together with the feature sets added
- discount applied to my cart (all 5 books were $0)

Unfortunately after the re-invoicing, its behavior reverts to Case 2 again.

So here's the bug report on your purchase system (the bug refers to the inability to apply the discount even if the procedure is correct and CS confirming that the coupon code is still unused by me.). It's very complicated and I laid out the conditions to trigger this.

And lastly, here's my guess of what happened.

1. May be the coupon only applies when it is the first time someone upgrade to Logos 8. I suggested this to the CS agent and he don't think this is true.

2. May be there are certain hidden dependencies coded in the system for this coupon to work. The dependencies that has been stated are base package + 5 books in that list + coupon code applied + a hidden dependency that the package purchased has to include the feature sets. These are known and confirmed to be true. My guess of the unknown hidden dependency is it might check if the purchase includes a certain feature set(s), and only apply the discount if true. Since the only case it doesn't work is after I owned Platinum package, there might be some resources in that package that the system is checking against for the discount to be applied.

Posts 5985
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 9:32 PM

And you’re sharing this why? 🧐 Did you have a question? The offer states it’s for 1st time purchase or upgrade.  So I’m not sure I follow.

Goodnight 💤🌙😴 

DAL

Posts 827
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2019 4:57 AM

This is a bug report.

i might have missed but it doesn’t say it is for first time purchase only. I also asked the online chat CS agent and he also said it wasn’t for first time upgrade only.

Posts 827
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2019 5:07 AM

And your reply remind me a logic I’ve seen in the past: someone said a long statement and the prof just said ok, the student confused, expected some sort of feedback and the prof said you didn't ask anything...

Back to this context, the title said something happened, which implies it shouldn't happen. The CS agent confirmed it should have worked and said a Product team agent should be able to apply that manually but the Product team agent said he can't.

So hence the bug report for them to figure out if the system has a hidden dependency for the code to not work, and either change that or specify in the page the criteria needed for the promo to be valid. (Of course I hope it would be the former but at least no one will be confused if the later is done. You won't believe how many hours I've wasted in order to figure out why this didn't work for me occasionally (recall the 3 cases above.))

Posts 5985
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2019 1:58 PM

Kolen Cheung:

This is a bug report.

i might have missed but it doesn’t say it is for first time purchase only. I also asked the online chat CS agent and he also said it wasn’t for first time upgrade only.

They should’ve updated the page to reflect that as that’s what I was told when I inquired about it 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 827
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2019 2:10 PM

Oh... Too bad...

So the deal is for first time upgrade or first time purchase only?

Waiting for Logos 9 then, this coupon would have been very useful since there's a few resources that I would like to have and that alone costs hundreds. Sadly 2020 is so far away. Can Logos version be upgraded yearly?

Posts 5985
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2019 2:13 PM

Kolen Cheung:

Back to this context, the title said something happened, which implies it shouldn't happen.

It doesn’t necessarily imply that.  In your head it does, because you know the background of the situation. For us it‘s just you telling us what happened and what you guessed the problem is. So it sounded like you were just sharing a story.

It reminded me of a guy that used to post here often (sometimes he still posts).  He used to write long posts about his purchasing strategy and why it worked for him buying for two accounts (one that he planned to give to a special someone in the future).  Then he would post about his girlfriend breaking up with him and why he thought she had broken up the relationship and all these long explanations, but no actual questions;  he was simply just sharing. Kind of like what you did 😜 except you later stated it was a bug report 👍😁👌

Anyway, I hope your coupon problem gets fixed 👍😁👌

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS