Research Psalm 67?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 418
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 18 2019 4:49 AM

Hey folks! So I'm doing some study and Logos tells me to look up parallel versions of some of my verses, to wit Ps67:36 which is parallel, allegedly, to my text 2Thess 1:10.

No probs, BUT:

- my NASB Ps67 has only 7 verses, not 36, although Ps. 68 has 35.

- the allusion quoted shows "LXX" but when I click on it, there aren't 36 verses there, but 35 (although v. 35 seems to be the one they're referring to. I  my NASB, that's Psalm 68.)

Is there an error here? Where can I go find out if Ps 67, for instance, is a disputed psalm: some people think it should have 35 or 36 verses? Haven't seen anything so far.

Thanks!

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 5:32 AM

Did you look the passage up in the LXX? The numbering of the psalms in the LXX does not always match up to the numbering found in the Hebrew text.

Psalm 67:36 (LES): *Marvelous is God in his holy place.
The God of Israel himself will give might and strength to his people.
Blessed is God!

The * contains a note stating that this verse in the LXX corresponds to "68:36 in the Hebrew Bible." You are correct that in the NASB Psalm 68 only contains 35 verses. In the Hebrew text, however, there are 36. The Hebrew numbering at times differs from that of our English Bibles. For example, in the NASB Joel is divided into 3 chapters, but in the Hebrew text it is divided into 4 chapters.

Posts 418
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 6:19 AM

Hey thanks Matthew! Like your Apostle namesake, you're a fountain of information! Big Smile

So I guess it's safe to assume, then, that when Logos told me to go look up 67:36, it was just a typo by the person who created the workflow, who really meant 68:35. I can see that.

Thanks again!

Posts 24572
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 1:40 PM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:
So I guess it's safe to assume, then, that when Logos told me to go look up 67:36, it was just a typo by the person who created the workflow,

I think Ps 67:3-6 was meant, as a right-click on 2 Thess 1:10 shows an Intertext reference to those verses as the source of the quote/echo.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 2:04 PM

Don't forget to report the typo via the right click Context Menu

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 24572
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 2:25 PM

That is not a typo AFAIK. It's an explanation for it being interpreted as Ps 67:36 elsewhere.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS