When Highlighting or Emphasizing Selected Text

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 25
Raffaele Paglialunga | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 18 2019 10:57 AM

I don't know if I'm the only one who does this or not but I like to sometimes use more than one highlight option when selecting a text (i.e Yellow highlight, Emphasize LARGE FONT, etc) 

The issue I am having is that I have to select my text more then once and then chose my second / third option.

Could you please allow the settings to allow more than one option to be selected.

Posts 2014
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 11:53 AM

It's a better idea to create a custom style and apply that. Otherwise you have multiple highlights/notes on the same text range, potentially creating confusion if you ever want add note content to your highlight. Also, FWIW,  you'll be artificially increasing your highlights count.

Posts 25
Raffaele Paglialunga | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 12:47 PM

Is that offered and I am just not seeing it?

Posts 26739
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 7:46 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
It's a better idea to create a custom style and apply that.

I want to raise a bit of an objection as I have custom highlights that I use of illustrating lectionary issues, custom highlights that I use to illustrate particular study methods, ... I want to add multiple highlights on the same text range when I am working through it but I also need to be able to select which ones show in a particular situation. So in my case, multiple note entries is desirable. Reuben's comment is accurate for many situations but be certain you understand what you actual need.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2014
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:08 AM

I agree that there are times where you do want multiple annotations. These, however, are restricted (IMO) to when you actually have separate ideas attached/implied. If, however, you simply want big, bold text that's on fire because you want it to burn up the page, then a single custom highlight will serve much better (and be much quicker to apply and/or restyle).

Posts 10100
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:36 AM

Raffaele Paglialunga:
The issue I am having is that I have to select my text more then once and then chose my second / third option.

How do you do this? 

Either using keyboard shortcuts or the Highlight tool keeps the text selected and you can apply multiple highlighters (whether this makes much sense or less so may vary).

The Notes tool currently only allows one highlighter style to set. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 26739
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 1:49 PM

Reuben Helmuth:

I agree that there are times where you do want multiple annotations. These, however, are restricted (IMO) to when you actually have separate ideas attached/implied. If, however, you simply want big, bold text that's on fire because you want it to burn up the page, then a single custom highlight will serve much better (and be much quicker to apply and/or restyle).

Agreed. I was concerned people finding the post in the future might not make the distinction.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS