Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 91
David Mullens | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 22 2019 7:45 PM

Hi all,

The only reason I'm running the beta is because I want to run Logos on my SSD which is only 128 gigs. My hope was to download a subset of my resources.

I think I'm missing something. I uninstall Logos (it was running on my D drive), then install choosing the "custom" option and making sure to uncheck the download update options. I log in and then the "Synchronizing" window appears for a long time. 

Now, I'm in the program, but it tells me to download 25 Gigs. I set the update channel to Beta, but it seems that the program won't update to Beta channel without downloading the 25 gigs up updates (which I assume are resources) which seems to defeat the purpose.

I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions, help?

Thanks!

Posts 879
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 7:57 PM

Not a direct help but are there any reason you aren't using https://wiki.logos.com/hiding_books instead?

Any beta software are going to be bugs and it's possible what you're seeing is just one weird bug.

Also, may be you've already did it, did you try updating everything and/or restart?

Posts 26026
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 8:01 PM

Are you accounting for the datasets which must all be downloaded?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 91
David Mullens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 8:05 PM

@Kolen, I use multiple computers and mobile apps. Although, there are some resources I could hide without missing them at all. I'll give that a shot.

@MJ, I don't know about the Datasets. Would they end up being 25gb? I only have about 40 gigs on that drive. I assumed since I was using the regular LogosSetup.exe install file, it would attempt to download all my resources since the minimal install feature is on Beta. 

Thanks for the responses.

Posts 91
David Mullens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 8:17 PM

I went ahead and let it update. It said 25gb, but I looked at my disk space after the update and there was only a gig or two less. Even now there's only about 6 gb less than what there was. 

I have not had the option to download a 'minimal' library or any kind of library. Currently I have 7 resources on my device. 

I thought it would be nice to have an option to download resources that are currently being read (which really means they were accessed at some point) or my preferred resources.

I'm grateful that Faithlife is implementing this option. 

Posts 2043
LogosEmployee

You would need to delete your old Logos folder before you will be prompted for an installation configuration on a new install.

One of these pages can help you find where your files are located:

https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs

Posts 91
David Mullens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 8:40 PM

@Andrew, I thought I had. I uninstalled and then deleted /users/username/AppData/local/Logos directory. I didn't think to look in the programFiles directory...or the ProgramData directory thinking the uninstaller would take care of those.

Getting late here...I'll check it out in the morning. Thanks!

Posts 24568
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 9:52 PM

David Mullens:
I uninstalled and then deleted /users/username/AppData/local/Logos directory.

If there was a \Logos4 or \Logos5 folder as well, that needs to be deleted.

If it was installed to a different drive, you have to delete the Logos folder on that drive e.g. D:\Logos

David Mullens:
I didn't think to look in the programFiles directory...or the ProgramData directory thinking the uninstaller would take care of those.

Correct. That is handled by the uninstaller.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 91
David Mullens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2019 6:16 AM

Thanks @dave. I'm giving it another shot. I just deleted the Logos directory off of drive D as well. Hopefully this time works :)

Posts 91
David Mullens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2019 6:41 AM

Tried the install again after making sure all logos directories are deleted. Same thing.

After it spends about 10 minutes "synchronizing" I see that it on version 8.2.0015. I then set it to update to beta channel. 

Now it looks like it is downloading all my resources. I never receive the option of doing a minimal library install.

Is there a different exe for the beta version? I'm using the regular one from Logo's website.

Thanks for any insight.

Posts 24568
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2019 2:45 AM

Go back and uninstall Logos followed by removal of your Logos folders.

Then look for the thread near the top of this forum titled 8.3 Beta 4 (8.3.0.0009), and use the installation link in there.

These announcement threads are the only ones with the correct link!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 91
David Mullens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2019 11:46 AM

@David...Thanks!!! I don't know how I missed that. I had read through that thread several times. I think I thought the links were for the WIndows/Mac release notes....which doesn't make any sense when I stopped to think about it.

My "recommended" library is downloading now! Thanks again!

Posts 879
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2019 2:28 PM

This is the intrinsic deficiency of relying on forum to deliver that. Why don't they put the links to the release notes wiki page instead?

Posts 7923
LogosEmployee

Kolen Cheung:

This is the intrinsic deficiency of relying on forum to deliver that. Why don't they put the links to the release notes wiki page instead?

The referenced forum post https://community.logos.com/forums/t/179177.aspx has a link to Release Notes (on the wiki), a link to the Windows download, and a link to the macOS download. What are you suggesting we do differently?

Posts 1891
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2019 11:05 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
What are you suggesting we do differently?

I believe he is suggesting that the Mac/Windows download links should also be placed on the release notes wiki page.

Posts 91
David Mullens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 6:11 AM

Just for clarification, my oversight was not realizing the "Windows" and "Mac" links were to installation files. The post didn't specify that those were installation files. So, instead of clicking on the link, I used the normal installation file to install and then changed my update channel to beta and then issued the update now command. 

I kept thinking I was missing something, but wasn't sure what it was until David Hooton's post which referenced the installation links.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS