Augustine New 21st Century Transalation on PrePub !!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2864
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 5:04 PM

This is an excellent Pre-pub! These translations are a dramatic improvement on the 19th century ones. They are much easier to read and--in my limited use of them so far--more literal.

(If I could afford this set, I'd order it!)

Posts 53
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 7:08 PM

Randy Lane:

Yahoo!!!

Understatement.

This is exciting indeed! I have about a dozen and a half of these in print, and they've been worth every penny. The 6 volumes of Augustine's Expositions of the Psalms are worth their weight in gold. Like the edition of Confessions in this series, they are all translated by Maria Boulding, OSB. The introduction by Michael Fiedrowicz included in the first volume is very well done. 

Now to find $1300 in loose change under the couch cushions...

Posts 141
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 3:50 PM

Kevin Clemens:

Randy Lane:

Yahoo!!!

Understatement.

This is exciting indeed! I have about a dozen and a half of these in print, and they've been worth every penny. The 6 volumes of Augustine's Expositions of the Psalms are worth their weight in gold. Like the edition of Confessions in this series, they are all translated by Maria Boulding, OSB. The introduction by Michael Fiedrowicz included in the first volume is very well done. 

Now to find $1300 in loose change under the couch cushions...

Priced at $1,000 now

Posts 2864
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 4:24 PM

Randy Lane:
Priced at $1,000 now

Still $1300 CAD, alas. It's not that the collection isn't worth it, though.

Posts 53
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 4:40 PM

To the powers at be,

Is there an estimated timeline until this resource goes live? (Trying to figure out how long I have to scrape the money together to take advantage of the pre-pub 50% discount). Thanks.

Posts 2864
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 5:03 PM

Kevin Clemens:

To the powers at be,

Is there an estimated timeline until this resource goes live? (Trying to figure out how long I have to scrape the money together to take advantage of the pre-pub 50% discount). Thanks.

I would bet at least the other side of Easter, at the earliest. Probably this calendar year.

Posts 1158
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 8:41 PM

Any chance we can put this on a payment plan?

Posts 53
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 9:17 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

Any chance we can put this on a payment plan?

Or the price could drop another $300... (or more Wink

Posts 351
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 2:44 AM

I'd be grateful if they'd simply break up the bundle.

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 26834
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 4:19 AM

Kevin Clemens:
Is there an estimated timeline until this resource goes live? (Trying to figure out how long I have to scrape the money together to take advantage of the pre-pub 50% discount).

FL doesn't typically comment on those kinds of questions. Very probably, it is a long time off. You <should> have ample notice of its release. You can also return it... although 1K is a big chunk.

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 2864
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 5:23 AM

Liam Maguire:

I'd be grateful if they'd simply break up the bundle.

But if they break it up before producing it, some volumes probably won't get produced, at least as quickly. Other people will complain and get confused. The ones that do get produced would be harder to market as a collection later, the PrePub discount/volume would be lessened, and it would be harder and less likely that the future volumes would get through.

I'm sure it'll be broken up after it's been live for awhile. In the meantime, well, now is a great time to collect them all.

Posts 601
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 5:52 AM

JT (alabama24):
Very probably, it is a long time off. You <should> have ample notice of its release. You can also return it... although 1K is a big chunk.

So start saving up now is what you are suggesting...

Posts 53
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 7:22 AM

Michael S.:

JT (alabama24):
although 1K is a big chunk.

So start saving up now is what you are suggesting...

Admittedly 1K is a hefty bit of change, but as some of the larger volumes rarely dip below $70 each, to pick them all up for under $25/book seems to be worth the effort to save up.

Posts 351
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 8:01 AM

SineNomine:

But if they break it up before producing it, some volumes probably won't get produced, at least as quickly. Other people will complain and get confused. The ones that do get produced would be harder to market as a collection later, the PrePub discount/volume would be lessened, and it would be harder and less likely that the future volumes would get through.

I'm sure it'll be broken up after it's been live for awhile. In the meantime, well, now is a great time to collect them all.

Alas, my previous comment was a case of clarity taken hostage to brevity. I should have said, I'd be grateful if they'd simply break up the bundle after production is complete. Something which is not always guaranteed. 

Posts 351
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 8:04 AM

Kevin Clemens:

Admittedly 1K is a hefty bit of change, but as some of the larger volumes rarely dip below $70 each, to pick them all up for under $25/book seems to be worth the effort to save up.

$70 dollars for a print edition is one thing... The morality of physical books being sold for the same price as digital books (Which have 0 raw material, printing, storage, shipping, etc. cost) is a whole separate issue. Zip it!

Wink

Posts 26834
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 10:26 AM

Kevin Clemens:
Admittedly 1K is a hefty bit of change,

The "value" wasn't in mind by my comment. Rather, I meant to say: If you decide you can't swing it when it goes live, you can "return" the item, but $1,000 is a large amount (at least for those of us who would inquire about a payment plan) to have to carry on your credit card during the time it is charged until the time your refund is processed. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 53
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 11:48 AM

JT (alabama24):

The "value" wasn't in mind by my comment. 

JT (alabama24):
$1,000 is a large amount (at least for those of us who would inquire about a payment plan) to have to carry on your credit card during the time it is charged until the time your refund is processed.

My mistake. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.

Posts 422
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2019 6:37 PM

FYI: Logos has broken up the bundle!

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):

Meme and you shall receive: 

The City of God : A Translation for the 21st Century (2 vols.)

https://www.logos.com/product/175079/the-city-of-god-a-translation-for-the-21st-century

The Confessions, 2nd ed.: A Translation for the 21st Century

https://www.logos.com/product/175080/the-confessions-2nd-ed-a-translation-for-the-21st-century

The Sermons of Saint Augustine: A Translation for the 21st Century (11 vols.)

https://www.logos.com/product/175059/the-sermons-of-saint-augustine-a-translation-for-the-21st-century

Augustine’s Expositions and Homilies: A Translation for the 21st Century (11 vols.)

https://www.logos.com/product/175068/augustines-expositions-and-homilies-a-translation-for-the-21st-century

Augustine’s Letters and Theological Writings: A Translation for the 21st Century (9 vols.)

https://www.logos.com/product/175078/augustines-letters-and-theological-writings-a-translation-for-the-21st-century

Augustine’s Doctrinal Writings: A Translation for the 21st Century (9 vols.)

https://www.logos.com/product/175066/augustines-doctrinal-writings-a-translation-for-the-21st-century

Posts 623
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2019 7:26 PM

The total cost of all 6 bundles is $1,200.94. So, there's a good discount for the complete bundle.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS