Do you think we could change the way we phrase things on the forum?

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 692
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:18 PM

????????????????????

I don't get it.... OK so your new theoretical car came with a disclosure, well the original disclosure time is now been pushed back an additional 3 months....

So now I get accused of being fallacious and inflammatory... I am now officially done with Logos' Forums and to think this is from one of the people chosen as a moderator....

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:19 PM

Robert Pavich:

...We are NOT just championing L4 like a bunch of blind unthinking drones programmed by "the man"...ok?

Yeah...stick it to the man:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3N7E1ReGzc&feature=related

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:21 PM

Frank Sauer:

If I may add a little illustration as most of us preachers enjoy using....

To avoid frustration with the complaints (my smart tags, sermon file, printing ones included)

Frank, brother....Martha is right...

It's not your individual frustrations I'm trying to address...heck...I also have a list of things that I'm waiting for Logos to deliver!

Logos, as good as it is for me today...isn't what I want it to be in the end...(can you say sentence diagrammer?)

That wasn't the issue AT ALL....it was how everyone's desire for their favorite feature is framed in a sentence...

See the difference?

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 692
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:23 PM

Robert Pavich:

I think it's entirely reasonable to ask grown adults to act like grown adults.

Don't you?

Unfortunately most of the flaming has been by "moderators" prime example in this thread, try to have some fun with an illustration and get the fallacious & inflammatory accusations thrown at me....

I've always believed that leaders pave the way, well if "we" want the flame wars to stop maybe it should start with the moderators who have been doing most of it!

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:24 PM

Frank Sauer:
So now I get accused of being fallacious and inflammatory... I am now officially done with Logos' Forums and to think this is from one of the people chosen as a moderator....

Frank...please don't leave...just cool off and think about what I said in my last post...ok?

PS: Martha is not a moderator...she's an MVP. She's just here, like you, to have fellowship and get the most out of her software...we are all her for that purpose...ok?

I realize that you're frustrated, but don't leave....ok?

Robert Pavich

Posts 31361
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:37 PM

Frank Sauer:
I've always believed that leaders pave the way, well if "we" want the flame wars to stop maybe it should start with the moderators who have been doing most of it!

I agree with you and apologize for wording the post in a way that made you feel involved in a flame war. My intent was to illustrate how comments could put others in a double-bind. On one hand we do not wish to add to the controversy; on the other hand, we are asked to self-police the forums. I mistakenly believed that the first portion of my post showing the fallacy of the analogy was sufficient background for calling it fallacious.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:38 PM

it is unfortunate that the discussion has broken down; I thought the first post was spot-on.

By the way, I think Frank may have been referring to MJ.

edit: whoops, typo

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:40 PM

Robert Pavich:
those who are negative (and positive for that matter), would phrase their likes and dislikes in that way...then I'm sure that a lot of the Logos Denominations would vanish....we'd all just be stating what we prefer, and not what's a gem or a piece of garbage.

Alternate solution. We could also grow some thicker skin and not work ourselves into a tizzy when others state their opinions using strong, decisive, or even unfriendly language...

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:42 PM

Robert Pavich:
L4 has it's fans and detracters

This has me pondering. From a sociological perspective, why do you think people have become so vehement in their dogmatic pronouncements, in recent years?

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:44 PM

DHG:
Alternate solution. We could also grow some thicker skin and not work ourselves into a tizzy when others state their opinions using strong, decisive, or even unfriendly language...

DHG,

did you actually read what I wrote?

It's not the "colorful metaphors" that I'm objecting to...

Robert Pavich

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:46 PM

Paul Golder:
This has me pondering. From a sociological perspective, why do you think people have become so vehement in their dogmatic pronouncements, in recent years?

Paul,

I don't know. Really I don't.

Robert Pavich

Posts 31361
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:51 PM

Paul Golder:
From a sociological perspective, why do you think people have become so vehement in their dogmatic pronouncements, in recent years?

Remember that I am speaking outside of my expertise and off-the top of my head, but my first guess would be that the world is changing so rapidly that many people are insecurity about their position in the future. So they hold on tight to what they have to retain a sense of the security. And their insecurity they focus on some other group they perceive as possibly dislodging/surpassing them from the current status.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:52 PM

Paul Golder:

I don't know either, but I think it has to do with anonymity.  Just see how most of us use avatars instead of real pictures...  Oh no , I don't want to pick a fight regarding privacy issues...

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:54 PM

Robert Pavich:

DHG:

DHG,

did you actually read what I wrote?

It's not the "colorful metaphors" that I'm objecting to...

Yes. If I understood it correctly, you prefer that we use less dogmatic language when discussing our likes and dislikes, right?  Instead of "this is a piece of junk!", you prefer, "this software simply doesn't fit my chosen lifestyle at the present time."

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:00 PM

DHG:
Yes. If I understood it correctly, you prefer that we use less dogmatic language when discussing our likes and dislikes, right?  Instead of "this is a piece of junk!", you prefer, "this software simply doesn't fit my chosen lifestyle at the present time."

DHG,

Ok...fair enough...I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I'm ok with the word garbage...but that's a personal preference...so...this sentence is would be fine in my mind:

"for the way I work and my own preference, L4 compared to L3 is garbage! I really like L3 better!"

I'm down with that. Wink I don't agree with your preference, but I understand that it's just. not your cup o tea....

Is that more clear? Possibly that came out in a later comment.

Robert Pavich

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:10 PM

Fernando A Gonzalez:
I don't know either, but I think it has to do with anonymity.  Just see how most of us use avatars instead of real pictures...  Oh no , I don't want to pick a fight regarding privacy issues...

I would agree that anonymity definitely makes it easier. As accountability is diminished, so goes consequences as well.

MJ. Smith:
Remember that I am speaking outside of my expertise and off-the top of my head, but my first guess would be that the world is changing so rapidly that many people are insecurity about their position in the future. So they hold on tight to what they have to retain a sense of the security. And their insecurity they focus on some other group they perceive as possibly dislodging/surpassing them from the current status.

Do you think that a sense of entitlement could be a contributing factor?

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:12 PM

Paul Golder:
Do you think that a sense of entitlement could be a contributing factor?

Most definitely.

I've had that word pop into my head many times while reading some of these threads.

but of course...that's just my opinion Wink

Robert Pavich

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:25 PM

Rosie Perera:
If you missed it, you can still get one...

Very good Rosie Big Smile

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:32 PM

Rosie Perera:
as Clinton suggested. Sometimes a gentle word turns away anger in such cases, but if not, then best to leave the person alone to steam in their own juices. Anything other than that will just turn it into a bigger deal than it is.

I've stated this more than once about myself...this is something that i really need to learn more of.

alas...I wish i had the "roll-back-off" ability of some here....I'll keep working on it.,

Robert Pavich

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:33 PM

Robert Pavich:

I'm down with that. Wink I don't agree with your preference, but I understand that it's just. not your cup o tea....

Is that more clear? Possibly that came out in a later comment.

Crystal clear.

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS