Personal Books Tool Survey

Page 1 of 4 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 61 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1827
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 4 2019 9:02 AM

Please help us prioritize the right work by taking this 9-question survey about the Logos Personal Books tool: https://goo.gl/forms/lfvQfQqMdoPZRvlC2. Thanks!

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 1:28 PM

Done! Thanks for the opportunity for feedback.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1835
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 1:29 PM

Took the survey. 

Posts 163
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 1:35 PM

Took the survey.

Posts 101
David Couch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 6:49 AM

ePub support for personal books would be a game-changer for me. I have a lot of things in that format.

Thanks for the opportunity to feedback Phil.

Posts 241
David Owh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 7:04 AM

Done

Logos 8 Win 10

Posts 304
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 2:06 PM

Thanks for asking and for considering improvements to personal books!!

Posts 221
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 4:33 PM

Since we could only choose our top future feature I'm curious about what people chose and why. They were all things I would like but I ended up with improved tagging options because that would improve the level of integration a personal book has with Logos. I like the idea of my personal book being able to appear in things such as Biblical Places (my own pictures of those places) or timelines.

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 5:18 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please help us prioritize the right work by taking this 9-question survey about the Logos Personal Books tool: https://goo.gl/forms/lfvQfQqMdoPZRvlC2. Thanks!

Took the survey. Smile

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 459
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 5:47 PM

I chose importing ePub and PDF over the other really appealing feature of syncing to mobile. But I'm really torn on the ePub PDF thing because it's so obviously going to be abused (I think) and such a bad deal for Faithlife if it means less sales on some current resources and future resources they might acquire (and it probably will).

For instance, through my library I  have Irons' dissertation on the righteousness of God  that was later turned into a >$90 book. So why would I pay what would surely  be over $100 for a Faithlife edition when I  could just import the PDF? But the truth is, going from PDF to Word isn't that hard for this who are determined to do it. The fact is any display of words on a screen can be captured and turned into a document, you don't need a PDF file. A lot of the older users may just not be that tech savvy. This may be similar to the old mp3 and Napster fiasco from several years ago. In the end,the music industry figured out that the solution was, at first, counterintuitive : if you make the music really accessible at an attractive price point, people are just willing to pay for the convenience of buying your music on Amazon or iTunes rather than the slightly more convoluted and fragmented process of ripping it off YouTube. Right now I don't think this option is even on the table for Faithlife.... 

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 6:54 PM

I filled the survey but want to make suggestions not covered: provide a “low level“ spec in say XML, such that

1. Facilitate conversion from other formats, ie when a parser is written, they don’t need to target docx but this low level spec

2. Allowing support of features not supported in current docx syntaxes, such as interlinear

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 7:01 PM

J. Remington Bowling:
I chose importing ePub and PDF over the other really appealing feature of syncing to mobile.

I wonder how well a PDF parser can perform though. PDF is so general and focused on presentational information, which makes it so hard to convert. (Existing PDF to docx converters does a poor job.)

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 8:17 PM

J. Remington Bowling:
I chose importing ePub and PDF

I didn't choose that one, and in retrospect, maybe I should have.

I choose syncing, but I'm not really sure how to rank it vs PDF as #1.

As a survey quality comment, it would have been more informative to allow those answers to be ranked first to last, I think.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 221
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 8:34 PM

Yes. Being able to rank would have been great.

Importing from other formats would have probably been my lowest. Simply because converting formats into docx is pretty straightforward if I want to do it. I'm more interested in creating original content so tools and options to make these and tag them more richly would be great.  

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 9:36 PM

Another suggestion is to batch update PBBs. e.g. a button to rebuild all resources from the source docx files. (Even better, detect changes by timestamp/checksum and only rebuild if newer.)

Essentially it is to allow batch processing. Currently it is very tedious to organize a huge PBB library. Typically how much PBB books Logos users has? It wouldn't be very large just because it won't scales very nicely. Currently I'm managing hundreds of PBBs and it is very tedious to rebuild all updated ones. Comparing to typical Logos library size of thousands to tens of thousands Logos books, all managed without any user input (except $.)

Posts 236
Mikko Paavola | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2019 3:01 AM

That's very interesting! Survey taken.

I chose the Sync to mobile. Since there was only one option allowed, I'll write my favorites here:
1. Syncing my personal books to mobile devices and the web app
2. Sharing personal books with other users
3. Buying/selling personal books in a personal books store
4. Better management of books in the Personal Books tool

Faithlife Connect + several Base Packages + Luther's Works, etc.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 520.
iPhone 7 Plus.

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2019 3:10 AM

Took the survey, waiting on the call.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2401
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2019 5:25 AM

Mikko Paavola:

2. Sharing personal books with other users

I assume that Mikko Paavola means books that he has written and not just books that he has made in to PBB as Bob stated that most PBB are copyrighted materials.   https://community.logos.com/forums/p/126859/848584.aspx#848584 

I have imported 311 PBBs but have not uploaded any as most are from a long defunct source that serve a denominational bent that has little active support in Logos. 

But I have also imported some from Logos Blogs.  Major use is for use in searches.

Added:

Now that I have spent a few more minutes thinking about this PBB in Logos is a very powerful tool for those denominations that Logos gives little active support.  Logos has given some support to SDA and Orthodox but look at the lack of activity on their forums.  The SDA group on Faithlife has been sharing their quarterly studies since late 2013.  Logos is NOT going to input a quarterly study BUT active members of the group can find the time to put the study into a docx file.  The PBB tool makes this possible.

Posts 1945
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2019 5:25 AM

done

Page 1 of 4 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS