using both Logos and Verbum

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 543
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 4 2019 10:28 AM

I own both Logos and Verbum.  Not really sure why I need both except that Verbum offers different books and different sales than Logos.

I find switching back and forth between the two as too time consuming and something I don't want to have to think about.

I am suggesting that when setting up my homepage, you give us the option of including features from the Verbum homepage as well.  And vice versa, of course.  These two version shouldn't exist in two different worlds.  Like in real life.

Posts 12937
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 11:42 AM

Larry Craig:
I find switching back and forth between the two as too time consuming and something I don't want to have to think about.

You shouldn't need both. You'll have access to the same resources in both. The only differences will be:

• A few different guide sections.
  • Different default prioritisation.
  • Verbum has a few extra collections

There's more details here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/123048/803878.aspx#803878 

In Logos, you can switch to Verbum 'mode', by typing Set Verbum To Yes, and back to Logos with Set Verbum to No. Type either in the command bar.

Posts 543
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 11:50 AM

Hi Mark

Thank you.  Yes, I can switch back and forth as you describe, but I then have to restart Logos.  That is not always a very quick process.

I learned recently that Verbum has their own version of March Madness.  I also saw on the Verbum homepage advertisements for books that are not on the Logos homepage.  Different free book of the month.  And I'm guessing they have different sales as well.

I don't want to have to switch back and forth between the two versions every few days to find all the sales and get in on any other special offers.  I want my homepage to give me the option to include ALL the Logos homepage features, whether it be the Catholic version, the German version, or the French one.  

Thanks again

Posts 12937
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 12:29 PM

Larry Craig:
I don't want to have to switch back and forth between the two versions every few days to find all the sales and get in on any other special offers.  I want my homepage to give me the option to include ALL the Logos homepage features, whether it be the Catholic version, the German version, or the French one.  

That's not possible, unfortunately, though I can see why you might want it

But it seems massive overkill to install an app just for that. Why not just sign up to the email lists for sales?

Posts 543
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 1:00 PM

I remember reading somewhere that Verbum included some things in certain searches that Logos did not.  Something to do I think with the church fathers.  

I did call customer service, ans she assured me now that I will be receiving all notices of Verbum sales by email.  I"m a little skeptical, because I don't receive emails from Logos about sales.  I used to,.  Now it's just what I see on the homepage.

Posts 724
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 1:05 PM

Larry Craig:
I did call customer service, ans she assured me now that I will be receiving all notices of Verbum sales by email.  I"m a little skeptical, because I don't receive emails from Logos about sales.  I used to,.  Now it's just what I see on the homepage.

I am wondering: did you have a chance to ask how to set up receiving emails for sales for Logos?

Posts 543
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 1:18 PM

no, but when you set up your homepage, they give you that option.  Logos used to send out emails about sales.  I miss that.

Posts 2807
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:04 PM

Larry Craig:
I remember reading somewhere that Verbum included some things in certain searches that Logos did not.  Something to do I think with the church fathers.  

Verbum prioritizes resources in searches in a different way than does Logos. It also has special, hand-curated collections related to the Catechism, Church Documents, and the Church Fathers.

Posts 543
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:15 PM

somebody said here that he didn't see why I would need both verbum and logos.  I couldn't remember why I got both.  

thank you

Posts 1958
LogosEmployee

SineNomine:
Verbum prioritizes resources in searches in a different way than does Logos

This is partially incorrect. Resource prioritization doesn't affect the order in which search results are presented. It only affects which resource is selected when trying to open the preferred resource for a reference (for example, opening your preferred Bible to John 3:16).

It is correct though, that Verbum has a couple of different default prioritization settings for some Catholic resources.

Posts 2807
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:28 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

SineNomine:
Verbum prioritizes resources in searches in a different way than does Logos

This is partially incorrect. Resource prioritization doesn't affect the order in which search results are presented. It only affects which resource is selected when trying to open the preferred resource for a reference (for example, opening your preferred Bible to John 3:16).

It is correct though, that Verbum has a couple of different default prioritization settings for some Catholic resources.

True. Prioritization does, however, affect the order in which Bible Commentaries appear in the Passage Guide, which I should have noted.

Posts 25829
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:52 PM

Larry Craig:
I am suggesting that when setting up my homepage, you give us the option of including features from the Verbum homepage as well.  And vice versa, of course.  These two version shouldn't exist in two different worlds.  Like in real life.

I agree. I would also argue that the home page should be multilingual. I know a number of priests who have multilingual assignments.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 543
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 3:06 PM

I started this thread because I wanted to access the sales that Verbum has.  I also wondered if the German and French Logos also had their own sales and prepub offers.

Posts 2080
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 3:11 PM

Mark Barnes:
In Logos, you can switch to Verbum 'mode', by typing Set Verbum To Yes, and back to Logos with Set Verbum to No. Type either in the command bar.

How do I do that in a localized Logos version?

I don't want to switch localization (restart), set Verbum (restart), reverse localization (restart) to do this change. And the same again to change it back.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS