UBS Handbooks

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 67
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 8 2019 2:30 PM

I am considering the L8 Academic Professional library.  One of the resources in it is the UBS Handbooks.  Do any of you use the USB Handbooks frequently? Any reviews or samples would be appreciated.  For reference, I am a layperson and can not read Greek or Hebrew.

Posts 3004
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 2:39 PM

I don't use them but I am curious, why are you wishing to go with an academic bundle if you don't read the original languages?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 27560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 2:42 PM

Bryce Hufford:
Do any of you use the USB Handbooks frequently? Any reviews or samples would be appreciated.

I do not currently have a regular preaching ministry, nor am I currently writing papers... so I don't use these "frequently." However, I do like them very much and find them helpful. They are essentially translators notes. You do not need to know Greek or Hebrew to take advantage of them. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 2:43 PM

David Taylor Jr:
why are you wishing to go with an academic bundle if you don't read the original languages?

This is a good question. Perhaps there is another package which would benefit you more. What are you trying to gain with a purchase? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 2:58 PM

JT (alabama24):

Bryce Hufford:
Do any of you use the USB Handbooks frequently? Any reviews or samples would be appreciated.

I do not currently have a regular preaching ministry, nor am I currently writing papers... so I don't use these "frequently." However, I do like them very much and find them helpful. They are essentially translators notes. You do not need to know Greek or Hebrew to take advantage of them. 

I will second what JT said. 

As JT stated they would be a big help if you were translating into some other language.  But one can learn a lot by looking over a translator's shoulder.  What should the translator consider here? Can clarify what they think the text means more than just what a reading of a translation says. 

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 3:06 PM

I only know the tiniest smattering of Greek & Hebrew at the moment, but I used a UBS handbook just the other day - someone on twitter questioned why the ESV translation took a different direction to the vast majority of modern translations on Deuteronomy 24:5 and I was able to look up a relevant explanatory note straight away. That and the NET were my first two pit-stops.

Posts 67
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 5:40 PM

The

David Taylor Jr:

I don't use them but I am curious, why are you wishing to go with an academic bundle if you don't read the original languages?

Fair question.  I’m sure there are many resources in the bundle that I wouldn’t use.  That being said, I see benefit in usuing original languages for deeper insight into the scriptures.  I have found that tools and resources in Logos make original languages more accessible for people that don’t have formal language training.  One of the reasons I was looking at the package is because I want to get BDAG.  The incremental cost difference to add the UBS handbooks, ICC commentaries, and other resources makes the package tempting.  

Posts 3004
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 5:44 PM

Bryce Hufford:

David Taylor Jr:

Fair question.  I’m sure there are many resources in the bundle that I wouldn’t use.  That being said, I see benefit in usuing original languages for deeper insight into the scriptures.  I have found that tools and resources in Logos make original languages more accessible for people that don’t have formal language training.  One of the reasons I was looking at the package is because I want to get BDAG.  The incremental cost difference to add the UBS handbooks and ICC commentaries makes the package tempting.  

Actually that is pretty sound reasoning.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 381
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 9:50 PM

I am a pastor (and have a pretty good working knowledge of Greek). I almost always use the Handbooks as part of my exegetical examination of the text. Very helpful in providing practical analysis of the text (think understanding that one would use in translation, i.e. understanding how to communicate the meaning of the text). 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS