Logos MM: too large chunks to swallow

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1407
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 9 2019 7:39 AM

This is probably the only year, when I still didn't buy anything from Logos March Madness. Maybe it is good and profitable for Faithlife to sell in such big collections, but I find myself holding on to my wallet, and trying to pay off L8 remaining balance. If Faithlife would break up collections it would be more appealing to me, otherwise, I find myself to skip MM and look and plan for other L8 base packages where the deal is much more appealing. Anyone else on the same boat?

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 853
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 7:56 AM

Wild Eagle:

This is probably the only year, when I still didn't buy anything from Logos March Madness. Maybe it is good and profitable for Faithlife to sell in such big collections, but I find myself holding on to my wallet, and trying to pay off L8 remaining balance. If Faithlife would break up collections it would be more appealing to me, otherwise, I find myself to skip MM and look and plan for other L8 base packages where the deal is much more appealing. Anyone else on the same boat?

It would be interesting to be a fly on a wall in the post March Madness review meeting.  Because the bundles are large and expensive, I imagine there was a hope they might get some nice revenue.  I suspect though this will be the poorest March Madness for sales revenue.  Whilst last year's March Madness committed us to buy sets of commentaries, I suspect many of us completed partly purchased sets (with dynamic pricing) at attractive prices and were happy to do so.  When I look at the bundles this year, I can't see any compelling reasons to buy a bundle.  For interest I looked at the Romans set as I guess it may win, so I thought I'd see what I might get.  The bundle only includes 2 volumes from www.bestcommentaries.com top 10 (both of which I own) and there aren't any commentaries included in the bundle from my wishlist.

As I've said before, it may be a relief (to my bank balance) that I won't buy anything this year.

Posts 376
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 8:06 AM

For years, my largest expenditure in Logos for the year was during MM, but this year I have already lost interest. Even with the winner, whatever that might be, I will not be interested. Too much money for resources I am not interested in. The approach might have seemed like a good idea from a seller standpoint, but not so much for a buyer - at least not for one that has a healthy amount of resources already. Not complaining. This keeps me from overspending. lol

Posts 12
James Lagger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 8:22 AM

I agree,  I used to be so excited every year for March Madness and was able to find at least one author and really dig into a good sampling of their resources.  I understand the bundle framework but it just does not work for my budget nor I have found it as fun to follow.  Hopefully, there are people that are enjoying it.

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 8:29 AM

I suppose they are aiming for the high end customer and that's okay with me. I likely won't get anything but at least they are trying something different. 

Cheers,

ChelseaFC

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 21638
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 8:48 AM

One thing I have found helpful this year - and want to recognise - is that we can see what resources are included in each option.

To the best of my knowledge this is the first year it has happened.

I hope this continues in the future.

Posts 496
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 9:35 AM

Danny Parker:

For years, my largest expenditure in Logos for the year was during MM, but this year I have already lost interest. Even with the winner, whatever that might be, I will not be interested. Too much money for resources I am not interested in. The approach might have seemed like a good idea from a seller standpoint, but not so much for a buyer - at least not for one that has a healthy amount of resources already. Not complaining. This keeps me from overspending. lol

Unfortunately I have to agree. MM is always a highpoint of my year andI have always bought at least two or more items during MM. But this year I am participating,but I will not be able to buy simply because the prices are way, way out of my budget's league

Posts 1775
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 9:38 AM

Graham Criddle:

we can see what resources are included in each option.

To the best of my knowledge this is the first year it has happened.

I hope this continues in the future.

YesYes

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1775
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 9:48 AM

Paul Caneparo:
When I look at the bundles this year, I can't see any compelling reasons to buy a bundle.  For interest I looked at the Romans set as I guess it may win, so I thought I'd see what I might get.  The bundle only includes 2 volumes from www.bestcommentaries.com top 10 (both of which I own) and there aren't any commentaries included in the bundle from my wishlist.

Great observation! I can only imagine 2 scenarios where this year's bundles make sense. 1) A Professor who teaches a particular book of the Bible and will teach multiple sections of the class in the next few years. or 2) A Doctoral student whose dissertation focuses on a portion of Scripture covered by one of the Bundles.

I'm curious if this approach to the brackets may be revisited in future years with topically themed bundles. e.g. a bundle on Dispensational Premillennialism vs. a bundle on Historic Premillennialism; or vicarious vs. exemplary atonement; or various types of polity in Ecclesiology, etc.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 853
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 10:30 AM

Sarel Slabbert:

Danny Parker:

Unfortunately I have to agree. MM is always a highpoint of my year andI have always bought at least two or more items during MM. But this year I am participating,but I will not be able to buy simply because the prices are way, way out of my budget's league

I stopped voting after round one to highlight my lack of interest. I've always enjoyed MM and have always bought something. It may be a blessing this year the options don't appeal as there's a commentary set in the March sale I want to complete.

Posts 245
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 10:41 AM

I'm incredibly disappointed, and somewhat disillusioned, at Faithlife for their decision to structure the MM the way they did this year.  As many others have said, this was always the highlight of the year for me, where I'd often spend a good bit of coin.  Not this year.  I halfheartedly voted a little bit this past week, but have stopped voting and won't be purchasing anything from the MM for the first time in forever.

Posts 9967
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 10:50 AM

Please everyone. The Logos high rollers get a discount suite at the Bellingham Holiday Inn (and complementary Ovaltine).

Posts 1407
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 11:06 AM

I stopped voting not even completing round one for two reasons:

1. Bible books vs Bible books. I appreciate the new approach that this year it is something different, but I find myself that I can't vote one Bible book over the other. Theological Books like Romans are more appealing, while other books less famous like Numbers, Habakkuk, Nahum,  can give insights that I never thought about, some golden nuggets which no one talks much. All Books are important to me, and lately since I spent much more time on famous/more known/more taught Books, I tried to spend more time on ignored once.

2. Since the least famous Books will be voted out right away, those will fall to the most expensive brackets which I can't afford anyway to start with because of the bundles, but those are the actually I need the most in my library. Books like Romans, I have 273 commentaries, and books like Nahum, 92.

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1775
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 11:36 AM

Sarel Slabbert:
For years, my largest expenditure in Logos for the year was during MM, but this year I have already lost interest.

Last year my MM purchase was twice my previous largest Faithlife purchase in the last 15 years. This year it will be zero. Personally, I prefer the breadth of Authors or Commentary sets over the depth of Bible Book collections when making large purchases. I don't begrudge any who are enjoying this MM. I only offer my personal perspective for those Faithlife employees who debrief the event in preparation for future years.

Posts 1377
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 2:08 PM

I've also always been on-board during MM.  But this year, after my first look at the offerings, my anticipation balloon rapidly deflated and hit the floor.   I thought "Hmmm ...I guess nothing for me this year".  I didn't even check out the voting during the first couple of rounds.  But then during round 3, I took at peek to see what was happening.  Still no real excitement or interest, but I decided to cast my votes in that round in the off-chance something was to happen later in the process to peak my interest.

I do agree though that it's nice to see up front what's included in the bundles.

Posts 27273
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 2:17 PM

I agree with the general sentiment but do want to point out that many in the forums have been asking for something different. Well, we got different! Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6158
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 2:23 PM

Bring back the real March Madness and not this “Matching” none sense!

Do what you did last year. Commentary sets brackets or even better Base Package brackets 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 3766
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 3:04 PM

Sarel Slabbert:

Danny Parker:

Sure, my initial impression is: far too big a chunk on any set to be that viable and realistic for me to purchase.  But I will wait till the final set or two are selected and see what the cost is. I DO like some of the "studies" type monographs (such as found in Acts collection) that I might normally overlook.  But I'm only mildly interested because it IS a huge outlay from the start with few of the works I REALLY want.

Coupled with high-end priced mobile Ed, not really a great way to get en masse support.

That all said, I kinda felt like the 19.99 Anchor Yale commentary sale was my MM this year.  Fantastic prices on several great authors/works.  I loaded up what I could.

Oh, and one more thing: Verbum, you gotta work on your website functionality.  It's like crazy trying to figure out what of those Church Father's collections I own and what it costs.  I have to work far to hard to figure out if I wanna get anything.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 589
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 4:16 PM

The sentiments expressed here are generally mine as well.

I appreciate that Logos tried something new, but the prices are too high.

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 5:25 PM

Ted Weis:
I appreciate that Logos tried something new, but the prices are too high.

I agree. I don't think any of the bundles I've looked at so far would be worth the cost to me. My cheapest bundle so far is just over $110 and the most expensive is north of $300. I am sure they are much more for those who are not blessed with as many resources as I already have.

Add to this cost the fact that many of the books in each bundle are not ones I'd choose and it looks like this MM isn't likely to get many, if any, of my dollars. 

In the future, should FL do this sort of thing again, I'd recommend they choose 5-6 really good books on each Bible book, and then give the discount on however many of them we chose to buy (not requiring we buy them all).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS