Carson's Matthew Commentary

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 599
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:06 PM

I'm trying to focus on the best Matthew commentaries. Carson's Matthew in the EBC series is listed as both #1 and #10 on the bestcommentaries site:

http://bestcommentaries.com/category/matthew/

#1 refers to a 2-vol work. #10 seems to refer to the one in vol. 8 of the EBC series. Both are 1984. Does anyone know if both of these refer to the same work? I have EBC and am wondering if I need to also buy the 2-vol work.

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:23 PM

They are the same commentary.  The two volume set is a paperback standalone version released later.

I suspect the EBC vol. 8 hardback volume gets a lower score because it's packaged with the Mark and Luke commentaries, and it gets the ratings from all three averaged together.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 599
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:31 PM

Thanks, Todd, for saving me some money. Smile

Posts 2883
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:35 PM

Could it be that the # 10 one is the version without the footnotes etc. from the abridged Expositors Bible Commentary?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:43 PM

Michael Childs:

Could it be that the # 10 one is the version without the footnotes etc. from the abridged Expositors Bible Commentary?

If you go to the link you'll see that it's the Matthew, Mark, & Luke volume from EBC, and you can click on it to see the actual cover.  The Abridged EBC is only 2 volumes (OT & NT).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2989
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:49 PM

The Expositors Bible Commentary series is such a bargain and is high quality. I recommend you just get the whole thing if you can afford it, not much more than just the Matthew set. One of my most-used sets, only recently available in Logos: http://www.logos.com/products/details/5457

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 599
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 9:00 PM

Thanks, Jacob. I have the 5 NT volumes + vol 1 in print already. Are the OT volumes as good as the NT ones?

Posts 2989
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 9:09 PM

Pam Larson:

Thanks, Jacob. I have the 5 NT volumes + vol 1 in print already. Are the OT volumes as good as the NT ones?

Not entirely...but there are some gems in there. Sailhamer on Genesis!!, Kaiser on Exodus, Harris has been helpful and insightful (but short) on Leviticus, VanGemeren on Psalms is great in my experience (Worth the whole price), Feinberg on Jeremiah is also excellent (Again, almost worth it for this!). Beyond that I don't really have any experience, although I'm sure there's some other great ones. I'd run the list through bestcommentaries and Rosscup's survey and see what you think. But in my opinion EBC is the best value for a commentary series out there.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 9:44 AM

Pam,

I know your question was directed toward Jacob, but I thought it might be helpful to provide a different perspective.  I continually appreaciate Jacob's insight, but in this case I think he weighted the NT over the OT in the EBC wrongly (no offense Jacob).  Obviously this is a subjective assessment, but I have found the OT in the EBC to be more consistent.  Some of the NT contributions are really not that impressive to the point that I often do not consult them on a regular basis.  Others are good, but not better than other commentaries on the same book.  However, the OT treatments are usually worth consulting.  Opposite of Jacob, I would say the NT "has some gems in there," and the OT is consistently good.  Even if I am wrong, the EBC would likely be a good addition to most people's Logos libraries because most suffer from a dearth of OT commentaries.  As I have stated elsewhere, this is because, among other reasons, OT commetaries sell fewer volumes than their NT counterparts.  People just teach and preach more through the NT than they do through the OT.  This means that people will buy more NT commentaries, which results in Logos producing more NT commentaries than OT commentaries.  From the perspective of Logos, I understand this.  But if we are going to preach and teach the whole counsel of God, we should turn to the OT as well.  Thankfully, the EBC is such a value, and gives you the entire OT and NT (as well as some helpful articles).  I think Jacob and I both agree that you cannot go wrong with the EBC.

Posts 2989
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 11:32 AM

Si, thanks for your answer. I'm glad to know that the rest of the OT series is great as well. Since I've had the OT commentaries (I used to only have select NT ones in print before I bought the Pradis version a couple years ago. Glad to have it in Logos now) a very short time, the ones I referenced are the only ones that I've spent considerable time with, so the only ones I could speak to. I had some disappointment in depth and quality of commenting in some minor prophets, and I think that was why I made the slightly disparaging comment in regards to the OT. I cannot speak definitively to the quality of the OT coverage, so I should not have. Thanks for forcing me to clarify.

Your confirmation of the quality of the series is all that much more reason why Pam (or anybody else) thinking of picking up just one or two volumes would likely benefit from getting the whole thing (especially at only $129). 

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 599
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 2:22 PM

Thanks for all your input, guys. While Todd saved me from wasting $30, Jacob and Si have just cost me $130. Big Smile

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 4:16 PM

Pam Larson:

Thanks for all your input, guys. While Todd saved me from wasting $30, Jacob and Si have just cost me $130. Big Smile

Really? I thought you said you already had the EBC:

Pam Larson:
I have EBC and am wondering if I need to also buy the 2-vol work.

Posts 599
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 4:20 PM

Yes, I had the NT ones in print. Now I have all 12 in Logos.Smile

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 4:34 PM

Pam Larson:

Yes, I had the NT ones in print. Now I have all 12 in Logos.Smile

AH. I see.

Yeah, the OT volumes and the Carson volume are the main reason I have EBC.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS