Confused about the Resource Scrollbar

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 5 2010 3:00 PM

Is there documentation on Resource Scrollbar..trying to wrap my brain around it.  Does anyone use it and how?  I am confused about its vertical orientation and what it is trying to represent.  Can someone grab a pack of crayons and try to explain it to me...Confused

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 3:14 PM

I'm not altogether sure what you are referring to. The library slideshow? Locator bar? Something else?

The library slideshow on the Home screen is simply there to show you random books in your library, sort of reminding you what you have... is that what you're referring to? 

Do you mean the regular scrollbar on each resource? It functions as any scrollbar would, though it adds hash marks to show where you last "jumped" in the resource. If you run a search on the resource, it will also show hash marks to mark where search hits occur in the book.

If it's not one of those, what are you referring to?

Posts 19353
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 5:01 PM

Nathan Barnes:

Is there documentation on Resource Scrollbar..trying to wrap my brain around it.  Does anyone use it and how?  I am confused about its vertical orientation and what it is trying to represent.  Can someone grab a pack of crayons and try to explain it to me...Confused

Think of each resource as a long vertical scroll rather than a page-turning book (Logos will be introducing a page turning view in a future update). You scroll through it much as you do through a Word document.

The scrollbar "thumb" indicates how far through the resource you are. You can drag it up and down. If you click in the area above the thumb it scrolls up by about one screen worth, and clicking below scrolls down by that amount.

If you click on the up arrow at the top of the scroll bar or the down arrow at the bottom it scrolls by one line.

The scroll bar sort of "disappears" to get out of the way when you're not hovering your mouse over it, but as soon as you hover over it, it comes back so you can see where you're clicking. The thumb shows up all the time regardless.

There are settings under Tools > Program Settings that control the markers which show up on the scroll bar:

Auto and Favorite bookmarks are gray and blue, respectively:

Auto Bookmarks mark places in the resource where you have visited by specifically navigating there (e.g., by clicking on a Table of Contents entry; simply scrolling down through the resource won't leave a trail of auto bookmarks all over the place).

Favorites Bookmarks mark places in the resource which you have saved in your Favorites.

You can hover over these marks and a popup will show an excerpt of the contents that are there; clicking on that mark will take you quickly back to that place.

Search Bookmarks are orange. They show places in the resource where your currently open search panel has found hits:

Again, you can hover over these to get a quick preview of what's there and click on them to jump immediately to the location.

Search Bookmarks will disappear as soon as you close the Search panel. Favorites Bookmarks stay around as long as you have that place in your Favorites. Auto Bookmarks stick around indefinitely. There might be some event that clears them all but I'm not sure of what that might be (reindexing??). People have requested a way to clear them all or to have them all get automatically cleared when you restart Logos, but so far that is not available.

That's all I can think of to say about the scrollbar. Hope it answers your questions. I was confused as Chris was about what exactly you were asking about, since usually people are not baffled by the vertical orientation of scrollbars.

Posts 1603
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 5:54 PM

A little off-topic here... I just noticed that the Google Chrome browser that I'm using has the same scrollbar markings when doing a Ctrl-F in-page search.

Peter

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:43 PM

Thanks, appreciate your response (crayons and all!).  I was having trouble with the "auto" marks... for some reason I was thinking of them as points in time...like history, the ones at the top being my earlier searches, and I couldn't make sense of it!  Also, I couldn't figure out why my ESV had different marks then the NASB...  Each resource has its own auto marks...duh.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS