Dealing with terrorism - looking for resource recommendations

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 215
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:24 AM

I don't reside there currently but my hometown of Christchurch is in the news today due to a mass shooting. 

I'm looking for very practical resources (Logos prefered) to help process it myself plus interact with different people who want to talk through it many of whom are not christian.

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Posts 505
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:51 AM

This may not be quite what you are looking for but it might be worth a look.  

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/56264/answering-jihad-a-better-way-forward

Posts 215
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:58 AM

I have that one on my wishlist for other reasons. But in this case given that the attacks were focused on Muslims as opposed to a Muslim attacking others it doesn't really provide context except in a very general sense.

To be clearer. I've read plenty over time about the geopolitics of terrorism as well as some frameworks such as clashing civilizations, etc. They tend to be big picture and theoretical, trends and such. This is currently VERY personal.

So, one resource I have has this suggestion:

When a lady named Paula entered the counseling room, she literally was shaking with both rage and fear because of a traumatic event in her life. The counselor resisted the urge to ask Paula to talk about what was making her so agitated but focused instead on the agitation. In a peaceful setting, Paula was encouraged to breathe deeply, to talk about how her body was reacting, and to cry without embarrassment. At one point Paula was asked if she felt the counselor was too close, and when she answered yes, the counselor moved her chair back and saw Paula relax even more. In all of this the counselor was modeling calmness and showing understanding. Paula’s body was calming down, and the stress hormones stopped pumping so ferociously through her body. Nobody could see this, but as Paula relaxed, her hippocampus got back to work, and Paula’s brain was better able to process the trauma.

Gary R. Collins, Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide, 3rd ed. (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2006), 771–773.

If I'm developing a bit of checklist of do this before that - this seems like a good first step. But after that any discussion could go so many different ways.

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS