OT: Does anyone know of a dictionary app where you can do advanced searching?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 16 2019 4:03 PM

I own a CD-ROM of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. One of it's best features was that you could search by wildcards, and parts of speech. So in sermon prep, I could search for 'verbs beginning with en…', for example.

Unfortunately it's a 16-bit application, and getting it working on modern Windows requires a VM which is a pain. Does anyone know of a modern app or web service that can do something similar?

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2019 5:33 PM

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for: https://www.visca.com/regexdict/ but it may help.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2019 8:29 PM

I owned that exact same tool some years back.  Haven't seen it in a while.

FL sells a "Concise Oxford English Dictionary." Will it do what you need?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2019 11:33 PM

Mark Smith:

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for: https://www.visca.com/regexdict/ but it may help.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than anything else I've found. Thanks.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2019 11:35 PM

Doc B:

I owned that exact same tool some years back.  Haven't seen it in a while.

FL sells a "Concise Oxford English Dictionary." Will it do what you need?

No. I have that. I also have Oxford's SOED iPhone app, but that doesn't have advanced search either.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 2:52 AM

This is not a dictionary app, but Anagram Artist can do that, and it comes with a pretty complete English wordlist (not technically a dictionary, because it doesn't have definitions). You just have to feed it a source text which is more than enough copies of the alphabet to have sufficient letters to spell any word you might want to find. (I keep a text file on hand which is 5 copies of the alphabet.) Then you can filter the words list on the right by wildcards and parts of speech using the controls in the middle. This took a few seconds:

You can download Anagram Artist for free from here, and it runs on 64-bit Windows.

Of course you can also use it for what it was made for, to do anagrams. For example, Logos Bible Software = Bob wrote a life-gloss.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 3:13 AM

Rosie Perera:
Of course you can also use it for what it was made for, to do anagrams. For example, Logos Bible Software = Bob wrote a life-gloss.

Couldn't help myself. Here are a few more:

Logos Bible Software = Obsolete or big flaws?

= To grow a slob's belief

= Stories of Babel glow

= Bores Bill Gates. Woof!

= If able to browse logs...

= Files grow, so be bloat.

= Goes a trifle slow, Bob!

= Is best for goal below

= Wallet grief. Boo, sobs.

Posts 881
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 4:48 AM

I personally would use NLTK (NLTK.org) which is a Python library. It is very powerful and this sort of thing is a piece of cake there.

By the way, isn't this sort of question not quite aligned with the forum guideline?

Posts 881
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 4:52 AM

Rosie Perera:

Rosie Perera:
Of course you can also use it for what it was made for, to do anagrams. For example, Logos Bible Software = Bob wrote a life-gloss.

Couldn't help myself. Here are a few more:

Logos Bible Software = Obsolete or big flaws?

= To grow a slob's belief

= Stories of Babel glow

= Bores Bill Gates. Woof!

= If able to browse logs...

= Files grow, so be bloat.

= Goes a trifle slow, Bob!

= Is best for goal below

= Wallet grief. Boo, sobs.

You're funny! If I have time I'd try doing this in NLTK. Why would there be a software for that? (Not a real question but amazed.)

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 7:47 AM

Try WordWeb

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 9:12 AM

JRS:

Perfect. Thank you.

And thanks to everyone else for your suggestions too. The question wasn't directly related to Logos, I know, but I needed this when I was finishing this morning's sermon, and software like this is a great companion for Logos, especially for preachers.

Posts 881
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 2:25 PM

Take it as a suggestion for Logos to provide such abilIty. Either as a dataset kind of resource to enhance current Eng dict or a Lexham dict.

Also releasing in multiple language, and bilingual versions, etc.

Posts 433
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 3:39 PM

JRS:

Try WordWeb

Thank you for the introduction to WordWeb , JRS!  

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 4:21 PM

Mark Barnes:
Perfect. Thank you.

Brad:
Thank you for the introduction to WordWeb , JRS!

Glad that you like it.  I found WordWeb several years ago when I was in a similar situation as what Mark described - my old dictionary app was getting rather long in the tooth and had become unreliable.  It took a lot of searching back then before I found WW and I haven't regretted switching to it at all.  It's an incredibly useful/powerful program (and the price is right, too).  I especially like how it looks up a word in virtually any Windows program with just a simple ctrl/right-click.  Someone in Brighton has really put their heart into it and keeps it well-maintained.

If you want to know a bit of the background of WW, see here - which, btw, suggests that it is available in other languages.

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 4:32 PM

Kolen Cheung:

Take it as a suggestion for Logos to provide such abilIty. Either as a dataset kind of resource to enhance current Eng dict or a Lexham dict.

Also releasing in multiple language, and bilingual versions, etc.

I would like FL/Logos to offer an Elizabethan Dictionary/Dataset for all Tyndale/Geneva, KJV, Milton, and Shakespeare fans.

Posts 26285
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 5:47 PM

JRS:
I would like FL/Logos to offer an Elizabethan Dictionary/Dataset for all Tyndale/Geneva, KJV, Milton, and Shakespeare fans.

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 8:39 PM

Mark Barnes:

I own a CD-ROM of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. One of it's best features was that you could search by wildcards, and parts of speech. So in sermon prep, I could search for 'verbs beginning with en…', for example.

Unfortunately it's a 16-bit application, and getting it working on modern Windows requires a VM which is a pain. Does anyone know of a modern app or web service that can do something similar?

You're on PC Windows.

But for anyone else, ios has the Shorter Oxford app, with the functionality Mark notes ... part of speech and wildcard. Very handy.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2019 12:34 AM

Denise,

I have the SOED on iOS, but can’t see how to search/filter by part of speech. Can you elaborate?

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2019 7:07 AM

Mark Barnes:

Denise,

I have the SOED on iOS, but can’t see how to search/filter by part of speech. Can you elaborate?

Well, I hope I understood you correctly. In the example below, I searched for any words usably as adverbs beginning in 'ba'

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2019 8:21 AM

Denise:
Well, I hope I understood you correctly. In the example below, I searched for any words usably as adverbs beginning in 'ba'

Unfortunately the SOED on iOS only adds the part of speech to the suggestion where a word can be used in more than one way. So most adverbs are missing from your list.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS