Free Grace Theology

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 51 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 9964
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2019 3:30 PM

Dennis Davis:

Strange, I am not seeing that book in the store?

It's in the faithlife ebook-store, not on logos.com: https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/167868 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 155
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2019 3:52 PM

Thanks for the link, Graham. 

Posts 155
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2019 3:53 PM

Found it.  Graham posted in on page 1 of this post.  Thanks. 

Posts 166
Susan W. Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2019 6:59 PM

I'm not familiar with "Free Grace."  Is this once saved, always saved doctrine?

Thanks.
Susan Murphy

Posts 901
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2019 7:24 PM

Susan W. Murphy:

Thanks.
Susan Murphy

I would say "a variant of". But you can believe in "once saved, always saved" without being necessarily in the "free grace" camp.

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 7:58 AM

Susan W. Murphy:

Others may be able to refine my understanding, but I think of "Free Grace" (Hodges) and "Lordship Salvation" (MacArthur) as ends of a continuum. It depends upon one's understanding of repentance. At one end a person is justified purely as a free gift of God by simple faith (what some may call "easy believeism"). At the other end of the continuum is a person who is justified by God's grace in response to personal faith and repentance. At the "Free Grace" end is the idea that an infant plays no role in his/her birth. At the Lordship end is the idea that "If Jesus isn't Lord of all, then He isn't Lord at all." Both would agree that Biblical Repentance is a gracious gift that comes from God, but the disagreement comes in how repentance manifests itself.

I hope this is helpful and mean no disrespect to my brothers and sisters who disagree with my summary of the issue.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 158
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 9:59 AM

Miss Susan,

The simplest way I know to describe "Free Grace" is the saying: "faith alone in Christ alone."

In other words, "not of works lest any man [person] should boast."

As opposed to, as mentioned above, "if He's not Lord of all, He's not Lord at all."  In other words, God saved us, and all we have to do is believe it, and it is ours.  Receive it.  Grace is Free.

Some of the people in this Forum belong to a Free Grace group on Facebook.  If you're interested, please let us know, and we'll give you the exact name of the group so you can apply for membership.

The only caveat is that it is presumed you believe in a "no works" Salvation.

Paul L White

Logos User since version 1.6

Posts 975
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 11:54 AM

Austin Decker:

JohnB:

Sorry if this is slightly of topic, but can any one suggest the best 2 or 3 books that clearly describe what Free Grace is and isn't (not from a critical viewpoint unless a Free Grace proponent can recommend it!).

1. Final Destiny 4th editon by Dr. Jospeh Dillow (This is the best in my opinion)

2. A Free Grace Primer by Zane Hodges (former prof at DTS)

3. Free Grace Soteriology by Dr Dave Anderson (President of ATS accredited Grace School of Theology)

4. So Great Salvation by Dr. Charles Ryrie (Simple, clear, and short - not the best though)

Great thanks. Gone for number 1 . 

Posts 166
Susan W. Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 5:39 PM

Paul Caneparo:

Susan W. Murphy:

Thanks.
Susan Murphy

I would say "a variant of". But you can believe in "once saved, always saved" without being necessarily in the "free grace" camp.

Thanks for the reply.  This terminology is new to me even though I've been a Christian years.
Susan Murphy

Posts 166
Susan W. Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 5:41 PM

David,

This is very helpful.
Thanks.
Susan Murphy

Posts 166
Susan W. Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 5:50 PM

Dear Mr. White,

Thanks for the info.  This is very helpful.  
Susan Murphy

Posts 901
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 6:09 PM

Susan W. Murphy:

Paul Caneparo:

Susan W. Murphy:

Thanks.
Susan Murphy

Thanks for the reply.  This terminology is new to me even though I've been a Christian years.
Susan Murphy

RT Kendall's book "Once Saved, Always Saved" is a great presentation of the variant I preach. Grace is indeed free, but there is still a cost associated with unfaithfulness. Unfortunately Faithlife don't currently list this book, but I'd recommend it very much.

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS