8.4 (8.4.0.0035) is Now Available

Page 2 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 2326
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 4:14 PM

Mark:

Thanks for the update.  My only comment would be that the default in settings should be to download all resources set to yes, not no.  The reason?  We have always expected resources to automatically download.  Today for the first time, a new resource did not download and I did not know why until I read the release notes.  Not many will read the release notes.  And so the problem begins when one is expecting a large update or purchases a large number of resources at one time.  How does one remember what is purchased in a library of thousands of resources?  I suppose everyone has their system.  I am simply saying that I could not understand why the resource I purchased today would not download. So having the setting set to automatically download with the option of changing the setting to no....I would think that would resolve some frustrations some may have.

Mark,

Did you run 8.3 during the beta cycle at all? What OS are you using? Can you screenshot the settings for updates in the Program Settings?

Thanks,

Philana

Posts 2005
LogosEmployee

Philana R. Crouch:
Did you run 8.3 during the beta cycle at all?

Or 8.2.

Posts 2909
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 5:42 PM

In the past, in Beta, it was defaulting to YES even when the older automatic download option was NO. That was 'fixed'. Perhaps the fix led to this problem.

Posts 1898
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 6:57 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Philana R. Crouch:
Did you run 8.3 during the beta cycle at all?

Or 8.2.

I am not on the Beta cycle. I am always current with the updates.  So if we are now on 8.4, that means I must have been on 8.3 before the update.  But again, I have never been a beta tester.

Posts 1898
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 7:08 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Did you run 8.3 during the beta cycle at all? What OS are you using? Can you screenshot the settings for updates in the Program Settings?

Thanks,

Philana

I did not run any beta cycles.  I am using windows 10.  I will send a screenshot in a moment.  But please note:  i changed the program setting to reflect a YES for automatic download new updates.  Originally it was set to NO

Posts 1898
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 7:09 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Can you screenshot the settings for updates in the Program Settings?

Thanks,

Philana

Posts 1898
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 7:11 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Thanks,

Philana

Posts 1898
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 7:11 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Thanks,

Philana

I have twice attempted to post a screenshot and keep getting an error

Posts 1398
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 9:37 PM

Thank you Faithlife for making home page atractive again and adding so many features. This is the best release since Logos 8

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1904
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 10:03 PM

I heard 8.4 was going to do something with the recent journals that were released, but I didn’t see that in the notes. Did I miss something?

Nathan Parker

Posts 61
Thomas Pape | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 10:38 PM

When I click on verse of the day usually open more windows - one with the verse as a picture to save this picture in different resolutions - since the update to 8.4 NO picture appears? Error message in logfile folder is
[0418/013807.649:INFO:CONSOLE(18591)] "TypeError: Cannot read property 'facetControl' of undefined", source: assembly://faithlife.visualcopyhost/dist/main.js (18591)
[0418/013807.650:INFO:CONSOLE(15483)] "Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'facetControl' of undefined", source: assembly://faithlife.visualcopyhost/dist/main.js (15483)

Posts 96
J. Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 1:47 AM

I LIKE Logos 8 Geeked

Posts 13066
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 2:37 AM

Nathan Parker:

I heard 8.4 was going to do something with the recent journals that were released, but I didn’t see that in the notes. Did I miss something?

Many (most?) versions of Logos add additional support (usually of new datatypes) to allow them to work with certain newly released resources. For some reason this is never mentioned in the release notes.

Posts 1331
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 8:42 AM

Mark:

Thanks for the update.  My only comment would be that the default in settings should be to download all resources set to yes, not no.  The reason?  We have always expected resources to automatically download.  Today for the first time, a new resource did not download and I did not know why until I read the release notes.  Not many will read the release notes.  And so the problem begins when one is expecting a large update or purchases a large number of resources at one time.  How does one remember what is purchased in a library of thousands of resources?  I suppose everyone has their system.  I am simply saying that I could not understand why the resource I purchased today would not download. So having the setting set to automatically download with the option of changing the setting to no....I would think that would resolve some frustrations some may have.

For users who upgraded their installation from 8.3 to 8.4, the setting for that installation is supposed to default to automatically download all new resources.

For new installations, you are given the option the first time you run the application, and the default is to download all new resources unless you choose the minimal installation option.

Are you saying that this is not the behavior you are experiencing?

I upgraded from 8.3 to 8.4 and the preference setting "Automatically Download New Resources" was set to "No".  I changed it to "Yes".

Posts 1720
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 8:50 AM

For users who upgraded their installation from 8.3 to 8.4, the setting for that installation is supposed to default to automatically download all new resources.

I have read several comments in this thread that the expected behavior is not happening.

I want to report that Andrew's description is exactly what happened for my installation. Today I purchased some resources (The NICOT/NICNT SALE IS GREAT!!) and they downloaded and indexed as previous.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2326
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 9:14 AM

Mark:

Philana R. Crouch:

Thanks,

Philana

I did not run any beta cycles.  I am using windows 10.  I will send a screenshot in a moment.  But please note:  i changed the program setting to reflect a YES for automatic download new updates.  Originally it was set to NO

Mark,

I was not able to reproduce this on either Windows or MacOS. I've writen up a bug report to ask the team to investigate.

Posts 2005
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 10:18 AM

Mark:
My only comment would be that the default in settings should be to download all resources set to yes, not no.

I'm sorry for the confusion on this. For the moment, this is working as intended. If you had "Automatically Download Updates" turned off, then "Automatically Download New Resources" would default to off. This is because currently the automatic downloading of new resources will ignore your setting for "Automatically Download Updates", which could result in new resources potentially downloading at a time when you are not prepared for a download.

We expect to fix up the auto-download behavior in an upcoming beta release, and at that time we'll change the default value (although this won't affect any users who have already run with 8.4).

Posts 1898
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 11:54 AM

Mark:
My only comment would be that the default in settings should be to download all resources set to yes, not no.

I'm sorry for the confusion on this. For the moment, this is working as intended. If you had "Automatically Download Updates" turned off, then "Automatically Download New Resources" would default to off. This is because currently the automatic downloading of new resources will ignore your setting for "Automatically Download Updates", which could result in new resources potentially downloading at a time when you are not prepared for a download.

We expect to fix up the auto-download behavior in an upcoming beta release, and at that time we'll change the default value (although this won't affect any users who have already run with 8.4).

Thanks for the explanation. I do have  automatically download updates set to off.  It works best for me to be notified of the update and then to manually download it. But when it comes to new resources that I purchase, this I want set to automatically download new resources.  Thanks again for your explanation.

Posts 1898
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 11:55 AM

Philana R. Crouch:

Mark,

I was not able to reproduce this on either Windows or MacOS. I've writen up a bug report to ask the team to investigate.

Thanks. It looks like Andrew explained it well.  And it looks like Rick had the same issue I had.

Posts 25
David Gregg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 1:27 PM
  • Added the “Excerpts” option to the Explore section to the Home Page.
  • Added the “From Your Library” option to the Explore section to the Home Page.

Thanks for bringing these back!  

Page 2 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS