Windows 10 in 2020...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 147
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 29 2019 4:28 AM

For those of us with Windows 7 on our machines, the requirement for Windows 10 starting January of 2020 brings something of a dilemma.  We are going to have to either purchase that OS and install it on each of our current computers, or simply buy another one with Windows 10 already on it.

My question is: will there be an option for downloading resources and updates to a binary file of some sort, then transferring it from a Windows 10 computer to a Windows 7 one via our local network, and installing the new updates/resources that way...so the Windows 7 computers don't have to connect to the Internet?

I have no clue, of course, as to how difficult that would be.  If I'm spinning my wheels here, I do apologize.

Blessings.

Paul L. White

Satisfied Logos User since 1.6

Posts 197
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 8:17 AM

Hi Paul,

You can follow the instructions at https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers to save having to download and index everything again.

Posts 147
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 9:43 AM

Thank you, Kevin.

Right now I only have my main PC and a laptop.  So I simply go through the normal update procedure with both instances of the software.

From reading the instructions, and focusing on Method 1, the only concern I would have is when we order, let's say, one book.  Then we'd have to back up and copy the entire library each time, or so it appears.

Also, what if Logos just came out with an update from 8.4 to 8.5, let's say?  Would the same steps still be in play?

Thank  you so much.

Paul

PS  I'm presuming that, between now and January, Logos will be aware of the dilemma, and create a routine (script) that people can use to transfer their updates to a Windows 7 machine.  Blessings.

Posts 1774
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 10:16 AM

Paul L. White:
I'm presuming that, between now and January, Logos will be aware of the dilemma, and create a routine (script) that people can use

Just as Faithlife stopped supporting Windows Vista and older versions of MacOS, More likely they will abandon Win7 due to similar security concerns with older operating systems.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 24568
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 10:45 AM

Paul L. White:
PS  I'm presuming that, between now and January, Logos will be aware of the dilemma, and create a routine (script) that people can use to transfer their updates to a Windows 7 machine. 

Unlikely, because Faithlife will also end their support of Win 7 installations i.e. no software updates (if Logos uses a version of .NET released after Jan 14, it won't work on Windows 7), so you will be stuck with a legacy version that does work. Resource updates would be available as normal, but those that require newer versions of Logos will not work.

Paul L. White:
Also, what if Logos just came out with an update from 8.4 to 8.5, let's say?  Would the same steps still be in play?

That will happen within 6 weeks, but you should still be able to update normally. Why are you considering to remove the Internet?

Read the section Unsupported in https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007391412 for further implications of remaining with Win 7.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 147
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 12:31 PM

Dave Hooten:  I am talking about what I will do in 2020 on my machines that still have Windows 7.  Since I'm on fixed income, I'm thinking my solution at that time will be to buy a refurbished computer with Windows 10 already on it.  That way I can keep using my older equipment.

But even if I bought a version of Windows 10 Pro, and put it on my current main PC, I will still have Windows 7 on my laptop.

The steps listed above in this post were for updating resources on another computer.  But I wasn't clear as to whether they applied to when your software is updated to a newer version.  I'm thinking strictly of January 2020.  Like someone said, though, the newer updates of the software itself at that time probably won't work on Windows 7...so I will have to be content to strictly move my library resources to the laptop once mid January comes upon us, and even some of those might not work.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, and thank you for your time.

Paul

Posts 197
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 12:53 PM

Paul,

Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking.

Basically when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7 in 2020, you will still have internet access, and if you have Logos installed, it will still work, and will still download new resources as you purchase them.

You will also be able to update the software until such a time that Logos starts using a dotnet feature that Microsoft does not release for Windows 7.

Even at that point, your Logos will likely still function as expected, and will still download new resources as needed, until such a time as there is a security issue such as the certificate problem last year that meant old version of Logos, whilst still functioning, would no longer be able to download new resources. This was a bit of a rare case, doubtful will see similar happening soon again, but its not a zero chance.

I would not think Faithlife will invest limited resources into providing an alternative way of installing resources on an offline computer.

You could also upgrade the laptop to Windows 10, I think system requirements are almost identical.

Posts 2189
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 1:08 PM

Paul L. White:
For those of us with Windows 7 on our machines, the requirement for Windows 10 starting January of 2020 brings something of a dilemma.  We are going to have to either purchase that OS and install it on each of our current computers, or simply buy another one with Windows 10 already on it.

By the way, Microsoft is silently still supporting free upgrades from Win 7 to Win 10. Just install Windows 10 on top of Win 7, or do a fresh install and enter a Win 7 product key, and Windows 10 will be fully activated. There's no need to purchase anything from Microsoft to accomplish an upgrade.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1678
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 12:16 PM

Jan Krohn:
By the way, Microsoft is silently still supporting free upgrades from Win 7 to Win 10.

I didn't know that, which makes this a very valuable reply. Thanks, Jan! I just did this and everything worked fine, activation (silent; it just does it) and all.

For additional details, I found this page:  https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/ 

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS