Is it true?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6116
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 13 2019 4:21 PM

Is it true that you can read thousands of e-books for free everyday using amazon prime? Also, is the music, TV and movies selection better than having Spotify, Netflix and Hulu?

I know it’s a random question, but I know some of you have Amazon Prime, so I would like your opinion on it and if the “Christian” books add to your studies with Logos.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 261
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2019 4:41 PM

DAL:

Is it true that you can read thousands of e-books for free everyday using amazon prime? Also, is the music, TV and movies selection better than having Spotify, Netflix and Hulu?

I know it’s a random question, but I know some of you have Amazon Prime, so I would like your opinion on it and if the “Christian” books add to your studies with Logos.

Thanks!

DAL

Kindle Unlimited is a secondary subscription not included in Prime. It's showing $9.99 a month by itself.

Posts 18577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2019 4:55 PM

I have decided against subscribing to Kindle Unlimited. I browsed through their catalog of "1 million" titles a bit and found nothing much of interest to me. And I'd have to read at least a book a month from their selection to make it worth it. Knowing my reading habits (I'm usually in the middle of 4 or more books at a time on various platforms: a couple of paper ones, a Kindle one, one in Logos, etc.) I wouldn't likely manage that.

Here's some other person's assessment of why Kindle Unlimited isn't worth the money:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kindle-unlimited-worth-money-why/

Posts 984
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2019 5:35 PM

Rosie Perera:

I have decided against subscribing to Kindle Unlimited. I browsed through their catalog of "1 million" titles a bit and found nothing much of interest to me.

I completely agree. Worthless. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 435
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2019 5:58 PM

DAL:
Is it true that you can read thousands of e-books for free everyday using amazon prime?

You can only add so many books to your library at a time. Not sure what the limit is, somewhere between 5 and 10. Of course 95% of the books that are free with Kindle Unlimited will probably not be of interest to you. . .  unless you like dollar-store fiction and such. There, however, a few good books available on Kindle Unlimited. For instance, Hidden in Plain Sight by Lydia McGrew.

DAL:
Also, is the music, TV and movies selection better than having Spotify, Netflix and Hulu?

This will depend on your taste when it comes to movies and TV. Best to look at what's available through the different services.

The music selection will be very similar to the same sort of music selection you get with iTunes or Spotify (to the best of my knowledge). 

IMO, the REAL advantage to having Amazon Prime is free two day and, increasingly, one day shipping. I rarely make use of the other features.

Posts 6116
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2019 2:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I’ll do the 30 day trial and look at their TV and Music selection to see if it’s worth it; if not I’m fine with Spotify, free Hulu and my Netflix subscription since I don’t really order much from amazon anyway.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 144
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2019 7:03 AM

Myke Harbuck:

Rosie Perera:

I have decided against subscribing to Kindle Unlimited. I browsed through their catalog of "1 million" titles a bit and found nothing much of interest to me.

I completely agree. Worthless. 

Thirded.  Before Logos I used to easily buy 20-30 Kindle books a month (now I try to focus on my Logos library and use Kindle as a last resort), but still I found the cost of Unlimited no advantage to me.  There were only a handful of books on there I was interested in reading and I read them all during the free trial.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2019 7:15 AM

I have read about 30 books this year from my Kindle Unlimited. But I canceled it today so that I could put the $9.99 towards a FaithLife Essentials subscription. Better use of my money and time.

Posts 2176
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2019 5:21 PM

I like Kindle as a supplement but Logos is so much more useful overall. And I think I'd rather keep my dollars within my faith community as well.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2817
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2019 7:10 AM

Rosie Perera:

I have decided against subscribing to Kindle Unlimited. I browsed through their catalog of "1 million" titles a bit and found nothing much of interest to me. And I'd have to read at least a book a month from their selection to make it worth it. Knowing my reading habits (I'm usually in the middle of 4 or more books at a time on various platforms: a couple of paper ones, a Kindle one, one in Logos, etc.) I wouldn't likely manage that.

Here's some other person's assessment of why Kindle Unlimited isn't worth the money:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kindle-unlimited-worth-money-why/

Absolutely correct.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2763
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2019 7:28 AM

Rosie Perera:
I have decided against subscribing to Kindle Unlimited

I came up with the exact same assessment independently. Great minds...

Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 168
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2019 10:14 AM

No one addressed your question about Prime, which is different than Kindle Unlimited.  It is true that they offer a ton of free books with Prime, though I'm sure not as many as Unlimited.  I've never looked for the Christian titles that might be available, and haven't ever used the free books anyway, as I just buy the books I'm interested in.  However, my wife has found stuff to read free with Prime.  A lot of people here seem to describe it as "worthless," but if you can find stuff you are interested in for free, it doesn't seem worthless to me.

For what it's worth - you are around this forum a lot more than I am, so you've seen that most people on this forum have a bit of a bias against Amazon, and FOR Logos.  That's not a bad thing at all.  I get the integration concept.  Just sayin, that could impact a bit of the input you are getting. 

We DO use the music and movies a fair amount.  The free movies and TV is pretty much on track with Netflix.  Tons of old TV series for free, and I would think that you can always find free movies to watch, regardless of your taste.  None of the new releases, or the really popular older movies will be free (none of the Star Wars, or Lord Of The Rings, for instance).

The free music seems to be really good as well.  I haven't used it much, so I can't say how convenient the Amazon App is, but I know people who use their Amazon Prime extensively for the free music.

Hope that's helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS