Does anyone here do the National Bible Bee?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 14
TKalo | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 16 2019 6:13 AM

Hello,  

I purchased Logos to help with the National Bible Bee.  I'm working diligently to conquer this software.  Can anyone help me with some specifics to the NBB that I need?  For example, trying to figure out what is the best way to present a passage, with main ideas and references to my kids so they can memorize it. Notes? Clipboard? can they be linked to each other? and So on.   

Thanks in advance

Tamara 

Posts 1907
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 6:37 AM

I am involved in the NBB and my children are as well.  They use Logos to help them prepare. I am away at the moment but will pass on this thread to them so they can respond.

Posts 14
TKalo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 8:44 AM

Thank you so much for responding.  I appreciate it very much.  If you'd like to pass on my email address, it is <redacted>.  I'd love to know how they use Logos, what functions and settings and such.  

Thanks again, 

Tamara 

Posts 14
TKalo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 8:45 AM

Aha! Now I know who  you are.  Your son did a Habakkuk off season study last year.  We participated in it and took the test he made.  

Posts 17787
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 12:25 PM

Tamara Shtyrkalo:
If you'd like to pass on my email address, ...

If like more spam email, then posting email address on a public forum works (otherwise editing reply can be done to remove email address).

Logos 8 workflows and sermon documents (with handouts) may be useful.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1907
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 9:29 AM

Tamara Shtyrkalo:

Aha! Now I know who  you are.  Your son did a Habakkuk off season study last year.  We participated in it and took the test he made.  

That is correct.  I will get back to you on this thread, but it may have to wait a few days

Posts 14
TKalo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 9:54 AM

Okay, how do I delete it?  When I click on "more" neither "edit" nor "delete" is an option.

Posts 1907
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 11:49 AM

That usually means it is past the time to be able to delete.  Someone else on the forum may be able to offer a suggestion.

Posts 7
Elliot Swaim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 1:57 PM

Hi.  I'm one of Mark's sons.  I used Logos for the Bible Bee last year.  One thing that I found helpful was creating a personal book of the Discovery Journal PDF (I'm pretty sure I had to first convert it into a .docx file).  Another thing I often used was the Bible Word Study, although I have found it harder with Hebrew words.  I also used Visual Filters for when the Discovery Journal suggests highlighting all the times the word "God" appears, for example.  Finally, I often used a Commentary and a book of Cross References (The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge or TSK).

For memorizing, you should explore Passage List DocumentsClippings are useful for gathering together different passages (and parts of commentaries) on a particular subject.  I haven't tried it much, but I think you can do different Workflows  where you can study a person, event, place, etc. by following their different steps.  For example, if I'm studying Timothy, I can open the Biblical Person Study workflow and type in "Timothy"  It then has six sections: "Research a Person", "Locate Related Bible Verses", etc. that pull from my resources to give information about the subject and then let you write your own observations (which then get saved as a Note.  Workflows could be fun and helpful for your kids.

There are a bunch of cool features on Logos that you can explore.  For me, I found that I got the most work done when I just stuck to a Bible, a Commentary, the Discovery Journal, and the TSK.  But it's probably be different for each person.  And I might find the various tools on Logos more helpful if I can get more used to them.  So I definitely recommend exploring the various Docs, Guides, and Tools on Logos.

Hope that helps.

Posts 14
TKalo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2019 5:10 AM

I am so very thankful for the time you have taken to go through this.  I did not I can upload a personal book, but will surely attempt it when they are given to us.  I also did not know about the visual filters, but will now spend some time learning it.  

Can you explain a bit more on how clippings are useful.  I know how make a clipping.  Once I have several, can i make a sort of "notebook" out of them? Does Logos group them by topic?  I suppose I don't understand the  benefit of a clipping versus that of making a note out of it.  

Thanks again!

Tamara 

Posts 259
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2019 7:47 AM

Passage Lists (in Docs) have a memorizing tool:

Passage lists can generate lists from websites or files. So, you don't have to create them manually. (I don't know if NBB gives you a document of verses).

The web App (ios or Android) has a Reference Scanner that you can take pictures of references and look them up in Logos. (Hopefully, we will get the ability to exhort these into passage lists or notes https://community.logos.com/forums/t/156244.aspx)

I'd also get familiar with the powerful built in Notes/Highlights system Logos has created: https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017978372-Notes-Tool

Posts 7
Elliot Swaim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2019 3:07 PM

To create a new clippings document, click on "Docs", then "New", then "Clippings".  This will open up a panel where your clippings will go.  Then, highlight some text in the Bible, a Commentary, or any other document.  After highlighting the text, click "Add Clipping" in the clippings document.  A clipping will then be added to the document.  You can add a tag to it and write some notes (as far as I can tell, the notes you write will not end up in the main notes document).

Another tool that will likely be really helpful this year will be the Psalms explorer since we're studying Psalms.  I haven't used it too much yet, but it looks awesome.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS