Layouts and remembered places.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 239
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 17 2019 11:56 PM

I use a layout for my daily Bible reading. Unfortunately, the layout always starts back at the point in the Bible where I created the layout rather than the last position read. Is there a way to have a layout's open resources always remember the last position without having to update the layout every day? Right now I am using bookmarks as a workaround, but it's not a very elegant solution.

Posts 2167
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2019 4:35 AM

Hi Danwdoo

Before you leave the workspace either click on the layout icon and then click on the first layout shown where it says update active layout You can drag that to the toolbar and create an icon to click on to update. Lastly, when you change layouts Logos creates a snapshot that you can also access through the layout icon.

Here are a few screenshots.

Posts 10426
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2019 8:05 AM

John has given you correct advice, but an even better way is to use a keyboard shortcut. For the Mac OS Cmd-Opt-Cntrl will update the active layout. Just a guess, but the Windows equivalent may be Cntrl-alt-?? Don't believe I remember the Windows keyboard Wink

Posts 239
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2019 8:41 AM

This was what I was hoping to avoid. I wish layouts were more about views and not a snapshot of everything including what page the resources are on (or at least an option). A layout where the resources remember the last place they were when I exit the program would be very valuable.

Posts 24473
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2019 4:09 PM

danwdoo:
A layout where the resources remember the last place they were when I exit the program would be very valuable.

Make sure the layout has a name (in Layouts menu, click Save as named layout)

Go to Tools > Program Settings

Select the highlighted option; which will save the layout when you exit Logos. The  "...any" variant applies only if you share the layout between installations.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 180
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2019 6:37 PM

I have a shortcut on the toolbar to save active layout which I always click on before exiting the layout. Then everytime I load the layout it is right where I left it.

Posts 239
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2019 10:22 PM

Thanks Dave, this does indeed save the layout automatically. While I wish this setting could be independent of making the layout the default start page, it does work well and so this is very helpful. I would definitely suggest for future updates that Faithlife add the option for all layouts to have their opened resources automatically updated with their last place on exit.

Posts 24473
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2019 11:03 PM

danwdoo:
I would definitely suggest for future updates that Faithlife add the option for all layouts to have their opened resources automatically updated with their last place on exit.

You get a Snapshot whenever you change layouts, and it's up to you to save that as a named layout, or use Update Active before you change layouts. The only inconvenience of Snapshots is recognising what layout produced it from the lo-res image, otherwise there is the problem of knowing that you want previously used layouts to be updated on exit.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 239
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2019 2:42 AM

Dave Hooton:
The only inconvenience of Snapshots is recognising what layout produced it from the lo-res image, otherwise there is the problem of knowing that you want previously used layouts to be updated on exit.

Which is why it should be a configurable option. For me, there is no time I want a layout to always remember the same pages every time I use it. A layout for me is about the placement of panes and which resources I want opened. I want it to always pick up where I left off, not always go back to when I created the layout without having to update it. My email client remembers how I adjusted the panes, yet doesn't always open the same email I had open when I set it that way. I do, however, recognize there are likely other users who do want this functionality. A simple toggle option would make both happy, which is all I am asking for.

Posts 24473
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2019 3:29 AM

danwdoo:
Which is why it should be a configurable option.

Yes, and not necessarily on exit e.g. save the layout + name instead of a Snapshot.

On exit, the current layout is saved as Application Closed, which is used when restarting and when recovering from a crash (the previous Application Closed is used in case the current layout is corrupt, or there wasn't enough time to save the layout). Here, I would like the layout name to be displayed along with Application Closed.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 239
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2019 7:43 AM

Sounds very reasonable to me!

Posts 239
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2019 10:03 PM

Ok, things got strange. Turns out there is more inconsistency here than I realized. When I started Logos it opened to my set layout in the location I had last left it in. Great! Then I did some other things in Logos and later wanted to go back to the layout, so I opened it from the layout menu. It opened the layout to the original location of where the layout was created. So it seems there are two different 'saved locations' for layouts. Very strange and very confusing behavior!

Posts 24473
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 20 2019 2:18 PM

danwdoo:
Then I did some other things in Logos and later wanted to go back to the layout, so I opened it from the layout menu. It opened the layout to the original location of where the layout was created.

Did you save the layout before doing "other things"? If you open the layout under Saved Layouts it will open the layout as it was last saved by you. The latest Application Closed reflects when it was last saved by Logos.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2337
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 20 2019 4:18 PM

danwdoo:

For me, there is no time I want a layout to always remember the same pages every time I use it. A layout for me is about the placement of panes and which resources I want opened. (...) I do, however, recognize there are likely other users who do want this functionality. A simple toggle option would make both happy, which is all I am asking for.

Most of my layouts yes, I want what you have stated - to continue from where left off.

But some that are the start of a new study I want opening to the same spot for each time as the verse shown has something to do with my thought process for that type of study.  Yes, a toggle set when the layout was first set up [[but changeable]] 

Posts 27121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 20 2019 6:17 PM

danwdoo:

A layout for me is about the placement of panes and which resources I want opened. 

I‘m responding on my phone and can’t easily search for them but I have written quite a bit over the years about “layouts” and “projects.” In common usage a “layout” is the placement and shape of tiles. FL needs to create “projects” which do exactly what you say... keep all resources “as is” when left. These “projects” could then be opened in appropriate layouts on various devices. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 20 2019 6:19 PM

David Ames:
But some that are the start of a new study I want opening to the same spot for each time as the verse shown has something to do with my thought process for that type of study.  Yes, a toggle set when the layout was first set up [[but changeable]] 

FWIW - I would call that a “template.”

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 239
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 20 2019 10:29 PM

Dave Hooton:

danwdoo:
Then I did some other things in Logos and later wanted to go back to the layout, so I opened it from the layout menu. It opened the layout to the original location of where the layout was created.

Did you save the layout before doing "other things"? If you open the layout under Saved Layouts it will open the layout as it was last saved by you. The latest Application Closed reflects when it was last saved by Logos.

No, I had not saved it. I did not catch that it treated the saves differently so that explains the behavior. I hope for some more flexibility in saving layouts in the future.

Posts 2337
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2019 5:11 AM

JT (alabama24):

FWIW - I would call that a “template.”

I like your train of thought.  

So we need to rename “layout” to “template” [[A layout that does not follow where you currently are]] and have a tool that starts as a “template” but becomes a “project” [[that does follow where you are]].   

Most likely when naming a current template to a project the original template would should remain untouched so it can be used as a template for the next project.   

May need to be able to save a project as a template as a starting point for another project without needing to make all the changes made to the project since it became a project to the original template.   

Posts 239
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2019 11:44 PM

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS