Windows 10 1903 Disk Space Survival Tactics

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2180
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 21 2019 8:27 PM

If you have been paying attention, the latest Windows 10 1903 update promises to gobble up more of your disk space. For those of us with older machines and smaller drives, it's not a happy affair. I did a fair amount of housekeeping to prepare for this because I have a 128GB drive and a big Logos library.

So here's what happened. Just as promised 1903 took my 26GB of free space and turned it into 14GB of space. Angry When I tried to run Disk Cleanup it said it was going to give me a measly GB or so back.Angry

Don't panic. I had been reading that Disk Cleanup is being phased out. I think 1903 is now the update that makes it ready for the farm. I went into System and Storage.and Temporary files that can be removed. It scans for files just like Disk Cleanup Bingo! I now have 29GB free.

Praise the Lord and back to Logos!Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 4525
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2019 6:02 AM

You can buy a 512gb sad for around $100. Amazon has several that are less. I would upgrade as quickly as possible

Posts 2180
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2019 8:51 AM

I am aware of that Fred. This particular machine is probably too close to retirement, I would relegate it to web app use first, but I have gained back more time. I never expected it to last as long as it has. Between the improvements from Win 10 and Logos, it runs a lot better than it did with Win 7 and Logos 4.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1743
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 10:07 AM

mab:
I went into System and Storage.and Temporary files that can be removed. It scans for files just like Disk Cleanup Bingo! I now have 29GB free.

I went in to the same location. After the scan is showed that less than 1 GB could be deleted safely. The pain is that "previous windows installations" is taking up 27.2GB.  Since the upgrade to 1903 is so new I am hesitant to delete these files in case something shows up that needs to revert to 1809 like the last major upgrade.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2151
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 10:34 AM

In Disk Cleanup, select to clean system files too, and then choose to delete the previous Windows version (among all other options). It will free up a LOT more space.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2180
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 10:41 AM

David Thomas:
The pain is that "previous windows installations" is taking up 27.2GB.  Since the upgrade to 1903 is so new I am hesitant to delete these files in case something shows up that needs to revert to 1809 like the last major upgrade.

The only issue I ever had in Windows 10 updates is that early on it failed to allow me to install programs. I haven't a clue as to how they managed to botch something so basic. So I rolled it back. That problem has not occurred since, but that's become my little test. I will do an update on a program. Yesterday an update for LibreOffice appeared so I used that as my verification and it went well on my two other Win machines.

You can delete it later if you are concerned or maybe just back up the Windows.old file elsewhere. I think the Cumulative backups get cleaned off after a couple of weeks automatically. This was a bigger upgrade. 

Posts 2180
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 10:46 AM

Jan Krohn:

In Disk Cleanup, select to clean system files too, and then choose to delete the previous Windows version (among all other options). It will free up a LOT more space.

That used to work for me, but it didn't this time. As I said, Microsoft is phasing the program out in favor of doing it from the System menu. If it still works for you great, 

Posts 2
John Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2019 10:48 AM

The best way is to go ahead and add a secondary hdd and move all the application and data on that HDD and its should be fine, I did the same thing.

Regards,
John Ryan | Tech Support

Posts 391
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2019 11:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Mab. I was able to free up over 15gb!

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS