Advice re: New Laptop Purchase

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5
Chip Franklin | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 9 2010 2:22 PM

Hello everyone! I hope I'm not too far off topic, but I would appreciate some advice regarding a new Windows 7 laptop purchase. I'm torn in relation to the processor...i3 vs. i5 vs. i7? Will it make much difference running Logos 4? I'm currently running a core duo processor that's going on 3 years old.

I'm all for paying for the i7 machine if it makes a big difference in running Logos 4, but looking for some insight one way or the other. Memory and video processor will be the same on all versions, so it boils down to the processor I think. Thanks very much!

Chip

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 2:30 PM

From what I've heard the faster the processor the better as far as running Logos is concerned, but what is more important is the more memory the better. If you can get 8GB, I'd go for it. But at the very least 4GB. If it's a financial tradeoff for you, I think more memory would pay off better than going up from i5 to i7.

BTW, you might want to change your Forum Display name to something other than your email address so that spam bots scouring the web don't pick it up. Here's how: http://wiki.logos.com/Changing_Forum_Display_Name

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 2:44 PM

An i7 will probably speed up your indexing rather nicely -- though I can't say how much in relation to a i3 or i5 -- my change was from an AMD X2 to an i7.

Posts 1335
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 2:51 PM

I've found this site very helpful to determine the relative horsepower / performance of the various CPU's out there.

I recently upgraded from a Centrino-based laptop to a Core Duo laptop and find that Logos runs fine, but during full indexing, it still heavily taxes the CPU (running at 100% for almost a day, with the fan turned on at max the whole time).  I would think / hope an i3-i5-i7 CPU would fare much better.  Anyone who owns one would like to comment?

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 3:01 PM

PeterLi:

I've found this site very helpful to determine the relative horsepower / performance of the various CPU's out there.

What site? Was there a link you intended to include?

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 5:03 PM

I only have Vista32 which is limited to under 4 GB ram (actually 3 I think).

If you want to be able to use 8 GB RAM, I think you need to be sure you get Windows 7 64-bit, not 32-bit. (Someone else can please confirm this aspect.)

My laptop is not so new now, but it has a 2.5 GHz dual-core CPU and 4 GB ram installed. Also, the video card has its own memory, and does not takes it from the main system as far as I know.

Some "lesser" laptops have limited ram, and the onboard video card takes ram from the main system, leaving little for the core OS. On such a system, and will a lower-spec graphics card, Logos4 appears to perform less than ideal.

Normally with PCs and most kinds of "Tech Toys" the very top end gives best function and features, but the price/performance is poor. I.E You pay a high preimium for the top end. Better value can be obtained if you can step back one or two from the top, assuming its enough for your needs. Its one of those trade-offs in life!

Posts 19
Tom Traubitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 5:12 PM

I'd recommend a laptop with an SSD (Solid State Disk.)  I'm using one with a nice little i5, 4GB of RAM.   I did have Logos on a Core2 with 8GB of RAM and while the RAM helped a little, the SSD (in this case a 2 x 64GB raid in a Sony Z11) really made a huge difference in performance of Logos 4.    

My workstation has an i7 with 12GB of RAM, but the Sony with the SSD feels "snappier" in every day use with Logos.

YMMV,

-Tom

Posts 1335
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 5:59 PM

Rosie Perera:

PeterLi:

What site? Was there a link you intended to include?

Sorry - I forgot to include the link: http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Posts 1335
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 6:07 PM

JimT:

I only have Vista32 which is limited to under 4 GB ram (actually 3 I think).

If you want to be able to use 8 GB RAM, I think you need to be sure you get Windows 7 64-bit, not 32-bit. (Someone else can please confirm this aspect.)

Yes, to take advantage of > 3GB of RAM, you need to have a 64-bit operating system.

In my case, I have 4GB of RAM.  With Logos 4 (and several other programs) running, I have not seen my system use more than 1.5GB of RAM.  I just ran a basic search for "Christ" in my entire library.  It returned > 332K hits in 3+ seconds.  The RAM usage did not exceed 1.5GB, and the CPU shot up to 96% for maybe 1 second.

In other words, I don't believe Logos 4 really needs more than 2 or 3 GB of RAM.  Even during full re-indexing, the CPU shot up to 100% for hours, but the RAM usage stayed at about 2GB.

YMMV

Peter

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 6:18 PM

PeterLi:

In other words, I don't believe Logos 4 really needs more than 2 or 3 GB of RAM.  Even during full re-indexing, the CPU shot up to 100% for hours, but the RAM usage stayed at about 2GB.

The RAM usage goes up when you do multi-threaded things, such as having a couple of Guides populating at the same time with multiple sections in each, a Search going on in another tab, and the PowerLookup Tool up at the same time while you're navigating around in a Bible window, and also indexing in the background.

Posts 1627
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 5:07 AM

FWIW, Intel is claiming that it can give a 4x performance boost on processors next year, due to integrating the CPU, GPU, memory controllor and northbridge:

http://arstechnica.com/business/guides/2010/06/how-intel-and-amd-will-make-2011-the-year-of-the-laptop.ars

That's not much help for this year's chips, but could be a real boost if you can hang out until next year.

Posts 24712
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 5:12 AM

PeterLi:
In other words, I don't believe Logos 4 really needs more than 2 or 3 GB of RAM.

Windows can use extra memory for recent file accesses to speed up searches

Bradley Grainger:
If your currently running programs aren't using all your physical memory, Windows will keep recently accessed files in that memory in case the programs you're running access them again. (This is another reason why it's good to have plenty of memory installed; even if your applications can't directly use it all, Windows can use it to speed up all applications and the OS itself.)

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 71
Paul Buckhiester | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 10:27 AM

Chip,

One recommendation unrelated to Logos 4 is that you consider waiting for a Laptop that has USB 3.0, A few are out and more are coming fast.

Paul

Posts 5
Chip Franklin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 5:18 PM

I just wanted to say a big THANKS to everyone for taking the time to provide your insights and help. It is very much appreciated. Many things to think about before I purchase :-)

You ladies and gentlemen are the BEST!

Chip

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS