Literary Analysis

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 40
Bmickey | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 14 2019 8:43 PM

I am attempting a literary analysis of a narrative in Genesis for a paper I need to write. I have plenty of resources, but what tools and features of Logos 8 would be of benefit for me to check out? This will be my first attempt at something along these lines. I could really use a literature tutor too! 😀

Posts 292
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 9:49 PM

Bmickey:

I am attempting a literary analysis of a narrative in Genesis for a paper I need to write. I have plenty of resources, but what tools and features of Logos 8 would be of benefit for me to check out? This will be my first attempt at something along these lines. I could really use a literature tutor too! 😀

One option is the Passage Guide- enter your narrative text in the search box and scroll down to the "Literary Typing" section. You also may want to checkout the Factbook. Enter Genesis in the search box and then look at the "Form"  section below.

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 7:31 AM

Depends what you mean by literary since the term has been used in variegated ways. There is the form-critical approach in FOTL commentaries or the narratology of Bar-Efrat and Adele Berlin. The literary types in PG are more like the first than the second.

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 7:58 AM

In addition to the Literary Typing section of the Passage Guide (you may need to click on the "Add" triangle at the top of your passage guide).

Consider turning on the "Propositional Outline" Visual Filter on the section you are studying. Pay close attention to "Action, location, arrival, and speech" elements of the text--this will give an indication of the way the literary plot is unfolding.

Also, Using the "Condordance" tool, you can select Longacre's Genre to consider the literary implications.

When I did a "Literary analysis" paper in grad school the professor was asking us to identify the characters, scene changes, quoted speech (who is speaking and how are they labeled), so that we could visualize the action on the page.

If you do not know Hebrew, the "Discourse Features" Visual Filter can be helpful to identify phrases that are dislocated, fronted or over-specific for emphasis.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 40
Bmickey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 11:52 AM

Thanks! David is right on as far as what is being asked of me. The Hebrew suggestion will help a lot!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS