Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 636
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 15 2019 4:16 AM

Thoughts on this resource?

https://www.logos.com/product/157080/wjk-hebrew-bible-background-collection 

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 11:50 AM

I'm familiar with Cohen and have ordered this because I want have a title by him in Logos. I think I may have even requested that FL acquire some of his works some time back. He has a level-headed approach to the facts in evidence. The other book is on a topic I'm increasingly exasperated with, the "parallels" of the Tanakh w/ ANE documents. My frustration is due mainly because these sorts of books tend to view the Bible as derivative. The idea of such studies is to "put the Bible in its ANE context"...but this begs all sorts of questions. The assumption is that Hebrew religion is a result of history rather than revelation. My interest in this book is that it appears to provide some summarization of the processes scholars use to arrive at their conclusions.

Posts 10106
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 1:37 PM

David Paul:
The idea of such studies is to "put the Bible in its ANE context"...but this begs all sorts of questions. The assumption is that Hebrew religion is a result of history rather than revelation. My interest in this book is that it appears to provide some summarization of the processes scholars use to arrive at their conclusions.

In theory, any writing composed for a group of humans that unavoidably move across multiple cultures, would by necessity use the same concepts and imagery to communicate. In this case, as you note, the author appears to want to go further. When Mark Smith recommends it, you know where that little puppy is headed.

Posts 6308
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 2:37 PM

Michael S.:

Are you majoring in Hebrew or something? It seems you’ve been enquiring a lot about Hebrew resources lately.  I wish I had the time to learn at least the basics, so I’m glad at least I can check out the various versions in English and Spanish for a different way of translating sentences.

👍😁👌

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 4:22 PM

Denise:
In theory...

Good thing we aren't dealing with an outlier...

Wait, what? Indifferent

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS