Finishing Well

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 483
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 21 2019 4:46 AM

I am working on a sermon on finishing well.  I have been wondering why some Christians are able to withstand all kinds of adversities and finish their lives faithfully and others either never get in the race, lose their enthusiasm or drop out of the race completely.  I have been studying the Parable of the Sower and some other parables that Jesus taught. Can anyone suggest resources where I can find this kind of information? What are the characteristics of those who finish well? What do they do? What do they refrain from doing? What makes the winners different from the others?

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 5:20 AM

Michael Kinch:

I am working on a sermon on finishing well.  I have been wondering why some Christians are able to withstand all kinds of adversities and finish their lives faithfully and others either never get in the race, lose their enthusiasm or drop out of the race completely.  I have been studying the Parable of the Sower and some other parables that Jesus taught. Can anyone suggest resources where I can find this kind of information? What are the characteristics of those who finish well? What do they do? What do they refrain from doing? What makes the winners different from the others?

RT Kendall is a conservative, Evangelical who used to be minister at Westminster Chapel following in the footsteps of Martyn Lloyd-Jones. It's an area he preaches on a lot. He recently released this book:

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/47257/it-aint-over-till-its-over-persevere-for-answered-prayers-and-miracles-in-your-life

Posts 1938
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 5:33 AM

Perhaps an answer can be found in looking at resources in Logos on the passage of Hebrews 11 and the beginning of chapter 12.  In Chapter 11 you have a list of people who, despite difficulties and adversities, finished well.  Each of the names in chapter 11 present a person who is lifted as an example of faith. But they were all flawed in some aspect.  Yet they overcame and finished well.  And the writer seems to give us the reason for why they overcame and finished well.

I am sure you can use some of your Logos resources to look carefully at chapter 11 and the beginning of chapter 12. 

Posts 6330
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 5:58 AM

Michael Kinch:

If they’re not in the race, then they are not Christians.  They’re more like wishy-washy religious people.

The parable of the sower is a great start. Adrian Rogers has a great sermon on that.  Maybe a sermon on Paul (2 Timothy 4:6-8) would be better as a text for finishing well.

DAL

Posts 247
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 6:37 AM

DAL:

If they’re not in the race, then they are not Christians.  They’re more like wishy-washy religious people.

DAL

Agreed.  If someone isn't in the race one of two things (both completely biblical) have happened.  Either they never really entered the race (Matt 7:21-23) OR they entered and then left the race (Heb 3:12).  But either way, they are not Christians in the here and now.  The only folks we can rightfully call believers are those running the race right now.  Anything else is unbelief.

The parable of the sower is a perfect example of both illustrations (those that never entered the race and those that started but then stopped).  

I've always found this Tozer book valuable when considering your question about finishing well.  https://www.logos.com/product/4996/the-set-of-the-sail

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 6:57 AM

Gary Osborne:

DAL:

DAL

Agreed.  If someone isn't in the race one of two things (both completely biblical) have happened.  Either they never really entered the race (Matt 7:21-23) OR they entered and then left the race (Heb 3:12).  But either way, they are not Christians in the here and now.  The only folks we can rightfully call believers are those running the race right now.  Anything else is unbelief.

The parable of the sower is a perfect example of both illustrations (those that never entered the race and those that started but then stopped).  

I've always found this Tozer book valuable when considering your question about finishing well.  https://www.logos.com/product/4996/the-set-of-the-sail

This is in danger of straying outside forum guidelines as this is a theological point. I would probably be considered a Calvinist, but I'd take a slightly different position to the above position, in that I believe a true believer can fail to finish well. RT Kendall has also written on the warning passages in Hebrews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Are-Stone-Deaf-Spirit-Rediscovering/dp/1857920724

Unfortunately it's not available in Logos or any digital format. 

Posts 247
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 7:28 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Gary Osborne:

This is in danger of straying outside forum guidelines as this is a theological point. I would probably be considered a Calvinist, but I'd take a slightly different position to the above position, in that I believe a true believer can fail to finish well. RT Kendall has also written on the warning passages in Hebrews.

It is close to overstepping, and I'm certainly not trying to do that.  Ultimately a question was asked about resources, and I responded by suggesting a resource that actually IS in Logos.  I could list a bunch of material that's not in Logos but that I think would speak well to the question at hand, but I didn't.  If I'd had no resource to suggest, I'd not have responded at all.  But since I did, I went ahead and spoke briefly to DAL's comment as well.  I'll add no more as to make sure we don't overstep bounds.

Posts 10126
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 8:42 AM

Michael Kinch:
I have been wondering why some Christians are able to withstand all kinds of adversities and finish their lives faithfully and others either never get in the race, lose their enthusiasm or drop out of the race completely. 

If indeed, you'd do well to ask the folks you're instructing in private.  That's the usual road to results (vs a good sermon).  Life is rarely a 1/2 hour answer.

And as regards Mr DAL (who is in his usual fine form), 'in the race', is a guy thing. Guys pumping up guys (unfortunately naked greek guys, but Paul, to be specific).  It's not by accident the pew-sitters don't look very race-y.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 8:54 AM

Michael Kinch:

I would encourage you to consider extending your main topic to look at the cost of discipleship. This would subsume your original question and cast it topically in a form that is rich in available sources. I hope you find this suggestion helpful. I offer it in good faith. One scripture that comes to mind to use would be Lk 14.26-33.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 9:30 AM

Gary Osborne:

Paul Caneparo:

Gary Osborne:

It is close to overstepping, and I'm certainly not trying to do that.  Ultimately a question was asked about resources, and I responded by suggesting a resource that actually IS in Logos.  I could list a bunch of material that's not in Logos but that I think would speak well to the question at hand, but I didn't.  If I'd had no resource to suggest, I'd not have responded at all.  But since I did, I went ahead and spoke briefly to DAL's comment as well.  I'll add no more as to make sure we don't overstep bounds.

Gary

I wasn't being critical. I'm merely mindful we'll all have a slightly different take. We'll learn one day which is correct! Hopefully we'll have run the race well and been proclaimed as "Good and faithful servants".

Posts 247
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 9:36 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Gary

I wasn't being critical. I'm merely mindful we'll all have a slightly different take. We'll learn one day which is correct! Hopefully we'll have fun the race well and been proclaimed as "Good and faithful servants".

Agreed, Paul.  I'm with you brother!  :)

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 9:53 AM

Being mindful of Gary's comment about Logos resources, other than the RT Kendall book in Faithlife eBooks that referred to, 2 other books that I'm currently reading focus on why we should run the race well.

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/14415/facing-your-final-job-review-the-judgment-seat-of-christ-salvation-and-eternal-rewards

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/50013/your-eternal-reward-triumph-and-tears-at-the-judgment-seat-of-christ

Posts 755
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 10:10 AM

About 15 years ago, I attended a conference called "Finishers". (They seem to have migrated away from that GREAT name.)  The theme of the conference was to encourage people in middle age to drop out of their current careers and redirect their energy towards missions. 

I was there to set up a booth looking for workers at our local working men's shelter.

One of the catch phrases of the conference has always stuck with me. Forgive me, because it has no Biblical basis.  But the phrase was:

"Every game is won in the second half!"

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 10:20 AM

David A Egolf:

About 15 years ago, I attended a conference called "Finishers". (They seem to have migrated away from that GREAT name.)  The theme of the conference was to encourage people in middle age to drop out of their current careers and redirect their energy towards missions. 

I was there to set up a booth looking for workers at our local working men's shelter.

One of the catch phrases of the conference has always stuck with me. Forgive me, because it has no Biblical basis.  But the phrase was:

"Every game is won in the second half!"

That's sort of where RT Kendall's book is coming from too in terms of finishing well. It's named after YOGI BERRA's phase of "It ain't over, till it's over".

Posts 1938
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 10:38 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Being mindful of Gary's comment about Logos resources, other than the RT Kendall book in Faithlife eBooks that referred to, 2 other books that I'm currently reading focus on why we should run the race well.

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/14415/facing-your-final-job-review-the-judgment-seat-of-christ-salvation-and-eternal-rewards

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/50013/your-eternal-reward-triumph-and-tears-at-the-judgment-seat-of-christ

Great book suggestions!  Thanks!

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 11:15 PM

Michael Kinch:

Michael. 

You can tell I appreciate the teaching and preaching of RT Kendall. In fact my 3 favourite preachers are all connected to Westminster Chapel. The least well known being Michael Eaton who moved to Africa and until recently ministered in Kenya. 

Looking through my books, I think this one may be of the most help.

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/products/35532/god-gives-second-chances-how-to-get-up-dust-off-and-be-used-again-by-god-when-you-fall

In the Faithlife eBooks preview, you'll see this introduction to chapter 2 and the whole book is related to your question. 

THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER TIME FLIES; THE OLDER I get, the more I cry out to God, “Let me end well.” I have been amazed at the number of church leaders who did not end well either because of a moral failure or a spiritual deficiency. 

Posts 483
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 23 2019 8:52 AM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments. This is a very important and needed study in the church and in my own life. With so many respected leaders falling recently it is a call to us to finish strong, to finish our race well. Fortunately we have excellent resources in Logos and help from the Logos community to help us run our race with endurance. Thanks again my friends. 

Posts 1938
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 23 2019 6:06 PM

Michael, I appreciate your posting this thread.  I agree with you and Paul offered a lot of good resources that are now in my wish list.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS