The Risks of Digital Libraries

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 3 2019 8:22 AM

Every once in a while, we have a fun discussion around here on how permanent our (sometimes outrageously expensive) Logos purchases are.

Here's a little gasoline to throw on the fire. Huh?

https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-ebook-apocalypse-drm/

I say that tongue in cheek, as one of those who is NOT converting his library to digital (a smart but expensive decision). I get needled for it so I like to needle those who are converting whenever I can. Cool

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2197
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 9:10 AM

Interesting article. BibleWorks was always big on the dangers of a digital library... they are the ones that closed with the time clock clicking on when the software will no longer work fulfilling their own prophecy. At least they are getting their money back.

Posts 1098
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 9:29 AM

That is there.

I'm surprised MS went into ebooks again (I'd never heard of it). Previously they had .LIT format books, which are now gone, except they aren't.

Speaking of gasoline fires--and floods,thefts, bugs--paper books are not invulnerable either.

Which is better depends very much on the situation and the individual.

Posts 142
James Macleod | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 9:46 AM

Doc B:

Every once in a while, we have a fun discussion around here on how permanent our (sometimes outrageously expensive) Logos purchases are.

Here's a little gasoline to throw on the fire. Huh?

https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-ebook-apocalypse-drm/

I say that tongue in cheek, as one of those who is NOT converting his library to digital (a smart but expensive decision). I get needled for it so I like to needle those who are converting whenever I can. Cool

The benefits outweigh the risks. If you are a missionary/minister travelling to remote locations, as I am, it is beyond amazing to have my complete library sitting on my iPad.

Posts 1937
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 10:14 AM

James Macleod:
The benefits outweigh the risks. If you are a missionary/minister travelling to remote locations, as I am, it is beyond amazing to have my complete library sitting on my iPad.

I re-echo this, except I am using a Lenovo Tablet.  The price has been steep, but I cannot put a price on the Lord's work.  I know my investment may not last beyond my lifetime.  But only heaven will reveal the way in which a tool like Logos Bible Software has been used to spread God's Word, help believers to grow, and others to have eyes opened to the Truth.

Posts 3173
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 10:15 AM

I have a substantial Logos library, including PBB's of hundreds of books I knew they would never get into production, besides this I still have thousands of dead tree versions and growing it every year.

Even if I did not have PBB in Logos- I would still scan and create my on digital library. Adobe has done great things with creating PDF's.

Why dead tree again- I have been highly disappointed in the FL offerings- I have found highly sought after titles at the most amazing prices, one reason my prepub titles have been steadily going down. 

I believe the publisher, being human, meaning greedy beyond hope, will keep causing this demise of digital libraries as they did the print versions.

My opinion, others I know will differently.

Posts 2915
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 11:54 AM

I would love to hear from Bob or others at Logos about how this article applies or doesn’t to our Logos library.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 12:29 PM

Jacob Hantla:

I would love to hear from Bob or others at Logos about how this article applies or doesn’t to our Logos library.

Bob has stated elsewhere that if something were to come up, he would expect that either 1) another company would purchase Logos to keep things running and/or 2) users would be able to crowd source support to keep things afloat. Hopefully neither need to happen! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10522
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 1:34 PM

My solution—Avoid MS as much as possible Stick out tongue

Posts 320
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 1:36 PM

Jacob Hantla:

Bob has responded to similar questions: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/169866/980868.aspx

Posts 2
Robbi Telfer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 1:42 PM

Jacob Hantla:

Written when BibleWorks went out of business: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/169866.aspx

Posts 1246
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 2:25 PM

I'd like to quote George:

George Somsel:

I take comfort in the fact that Logos does not have an exit strategy. Such practices seem to amount to self-fulfilling prophecies.

source: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/12272/95849.aspx#95849 ("Learning from Pradis", Februari 2010)

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 3:00 PM

HJ. van der Wal:

I'd like to quote George:

Then the very next post said:

Robert Mullen:

Maybe a blind trust with source code that would be released to valid users if Logos shut down?

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2019 6:52 PM

Nothing in life is without risk but I'm pretty confident in Faithlife's commitment to be around for a long time.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2019 1:04 AM

A substantial print library can all be gone with a flood or a fire but a digital library would survive these. In other words, nothing is eternal in this world. There are risks whenever property is acquired in this age.

Now, who would like to start selling peace of mind garanteed in case of faithlife bankruptcy insurance? Wink

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2019 6:12 AM

I have a lot of money invested in Logos and have got my money's worth already.  From here on it's all gravy and it looks like a lot of gravy for a long time.  Anything could happen.  I might get in a terrible fiery car crash this afternoon and go blind or lose my typing fingers.  Logos might go up the flume in 20 years or so.  I don't really expect to have my laptop with Logos buried with me in my casket.  I for one won't worry, but just be immensely happy and thankful.  

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2019 11:38 AM

Digital libraries may have some risks, but in the meantime I do not have to worry about negotiating over bookshelf space and when my wife talks about "downsizing" for retirement, I don't have to worry about my digital collections!  Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS