In store credit for reporting typos?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 42
Christopher Kou | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 9 2019 8:19 PM

Just had an interesting idea.  I wonder if Logos would be open to offering a small in store credit for each typo reported, if the correction is made.  Obviously this would go only to the first to report the typo, but it might be an incentive for people to read carefully, and would improve the quality of the resources.

What say ye, Logos?  $1 per typo?  Smile

Posts 1083
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 7:30 AM

Christopher Kou:

Boy, I'd be rich. lol. Big Smile

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 2282
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 7:41 AM

Myke Harbuck:

Maybe the incentive of receiving free resource updates in which these typos have been fixed is not yet sufficient...

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 42
Christopher Kou | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 2:25 PM

I receive free resource updates whether or not I report typos.  Don't you?

Posts 42
Christopher Kou | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 2:26 PM

Myke Harbuck:

Christopher Kou:

I mean, they could tweak the amount to whatever seems reasonable.  Maybe $5 for every 20 legitimate typos reported, or whatever. 

Posts 2282
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 2:42 PM

Christopher Kou:

I receive free resource updates whether or not I report typos.  Don't you?

Sure. The community reports typos, and the community gets rewarded with updates in which these typos have been fixed.

Of course the sluggards who never report any typos reap the same benefit as everyone else. But I personally think that offering them a monetary incentive sends the wrong message. You should do the reporting of typos for the community, not for the money.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 599
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 3:12 PM

Perhaps doing a good thing free for the larger community can be its own reward?

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 4:34 PM

In my experience, it has taken them YEARS to fix typos. I've reported hundreds of them and many of them still haven't been addressed.

I think the incentive should be the other way around. Employees need to get bonuses for fixing typos, say $1 for every typo fixed. Our incentive would be getting these resources we report typos in to be higher quality, and to feel like our reports actually make a difference.

Posts 1098
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 5:10 PM

I think the idea of $1 per typo is rather much. I could see a tiny credit (think pennies) more so for reporting resource links that need to be made. Typos I usually report just because they jar my reading a bit, and it takes just a moment to right click and do it.

However, the idea that getting typos fixed is any sort of bonus or favor that Logos is doing for the community, rather than the job that they were paid to do by their customers, is definitely too much.

Jan Krohn:
The community reports typos, and the community gets rewarded with updates in which these typos have been fixed.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 5:52 PM

In my view typos are a trivial matter, rarely if ever rendering a passage unreadable. Moreover, I would guess that the origin of them is often with the publisher therefore that they are addressed at all is a service FL provides. Don't get me wrong getting them fixed is an expectation, however, since by the time they are addressed I have moved on they are for me not a priority. Suggesting that finding them be attached to reward is a stretch. Typos in resources that are subject to repetitive use like lexicons, dictionaries and grammars, etc. should have priority. Gross errors as occurred with Tov's resource and the Lexham Analytical Lexicon of the Hebrew Bible should get immediate attention as they did.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 42
Christopher Kou | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 8:39 PM

Sean:

I think the idea of $1 per typo is rather much. I could see a tiny credit (think pennies) more so for reporting resource links that need to be made. Typos I usually report just because they jar my reading a bit, and it takes just a moment to right click and do it.

However, the idea that getting typos fixed is any sort of bonus or favor that Logos is doing for the community, rather than the job that they were paid to do by their customers, is definitely too much.

Jan Krohn:
The community reports typos, and the community gets rewarded with updates in which these typos have been fixed.

Yeah, $1 per typo is a little much, I suppose.  I wasn't suggesting that amount in particular, just as an example.

And to be clear, this isn't at all something I think users deserve, just thought it would be a fun bonus, and is probably something I would do if I was in their shoes.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS