Logos on Shared Computers

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 27814
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 2:04 PM

Floyd Johnson:
I am assuming that one of the reason for the app is so that I can drop into the local public library and do a bit research using my account when I don't have access to my own computer.

For clarification, you mean "web app" (rather than "desktop app" or "mobile app"). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3666
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 2:06 PM

JT (alabama24):
For clarification, you mean "web app" (rather than "desktop app" or "mobile app"). 

Correct

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 344
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 2:07 PM

Install the Software on each PC to a USB using the Custom Install feature. Each Users Logos will be maintained on the USB and is suppose to run on any machine where logos is installed.

The downside is slower performance but then you have portability and ownership in place. The user can always later then install Logos elsewhere on their own PC and copying from the USB to make the files local for the PC. 

Be aware for different versions as this will crash the solution in stealth mode.

What I learned from your question: 

1. The Software Engineers at FaithLife are Genius
  2. Never take "NO, not possible"  as the complete answer
  3. Discover for yourself
  4. Learn from others opinions and
  5. go on trying
  6. Progress is what matters not Perfection

Posts 5173
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 2:31 PM

Floyd Johnson:

I am assuming that  

And that is the problem with the advice being given to the OP. Everyone answering him is assuming they know the intent of FL and more concerning is they are assuming they have the expertise to answer a legal question. Hence since you all are assuming to be an expert in the legalities of the EUL but none of you have provide evidence of FL’s intent on this specific matter or as to the legal advice you are giving, you are all putting yourselves in the position of offering negligent advice on a contract between FL and the OP. The only sensible advice which MVP’s should be leading the way in demonstrating is directing the OP to speak with FL about what is ok in their situation so they can then have official written advice on what FL will or will not allow in this case.

Posts 13373
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 2:48 PM

PJ:

Austin Ruhl:
Is there a way to install the software and library once, and each student has access to it, under their own Windows account, after they have signed into their Logos account?

PJ:
The solution would be to delete the new users folder and replace it with a symbolic link redirecting it to the mainuser.abc folder.

After thinking through this problem a little bit more I realise that the %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Logos\Data\THEUSERSFOLDER\ResourceManager\Resources folder should be the folder to redirect because the other folders contain database files specific to the user. This folder seem to contain the resources downloaded. If the UserFolder is used as in the previous suggestion Logos will reindex each time an user start Logos and would almost certainly destroy data.

I actually physically executed this just now on my personal computer to test this for you. The one account (main) is about 38G and the minor user around 6G. Currently the minor users's Logos is downloading 117MB of updates. I assume that this is upgrading to the latest version as I ran this user a long time ago.

If you succeed and maybe confirm this with FaithLife I would like to take note on the outcome.

Remember to BackUp Logos if you experiment like this on your physical installation and be prepared to face the worst outcome.

Your original suggestion was a very, very, very bad idea. It is asking for trouble.

It is theoretically possible to use symbolic links to link two identical Logos installations on the same PC. I've done it – for a time. (But by being far more careful about which folders I symlinked.) But you have to be incredibly careful to make it continue to work. For example, if you use fast-user switching, the whole thing will break and could corrupt your databases – and you'll get no support from Logos if you break it by this method.

But attempting to use symbolic links to link two different Logos installations, even if you're only linking the resource folder is still asking for trouble. What if your 'minor user' installation decides it doesn't need the 32Gb files it can see in the resources folder, and deletes them? Are you confident that won't happen?

More importantly, different versions of Logos support different versions of resources. What if your 'main user' updates to Logos 9 (or even 8.9), but your 'minor user' doesn't? You've now got resources that will very likely crash the 'minor users' application. If the 'main user' updates a resource, how do you know whether the 'minor user' will notice that the resource has been updated and trigger the necessary reindex? I haven't tested that scenario, but I'd be surprised if that was the case.

And even if you did all this, it doesn't help with indexing. 30%-50% or so of your installation space will still be duplicated.

So, please, don't do this. As soon as you stop to think it through you'll see it really isn't worth it.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 5:19 PM

How would performance be using virtual machines? Create one for each user, stored on a fast network drive(???), then load it from any client? I'm not familiar enough with VM drive image performance issues across a network to know if that's feasible.

Posts 25111
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 6:04 PM

Randy W. Sims:

How would performance be using virtual machines? Create one for each user, stored on a fast network drive(???), then load it from any client? I'm not familiar enough with VM drive image performance issues across a network to know if that's feasible.

That sounds like a way to satisfy the legal requirement!

But the OP has a problem with drive space, and each VM requires a license for an operating system.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25111
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 6:08 PM

DIsciple II:
The only sensible advice which MVP’s should be leading the way in demonstrating is directing the OP to speak with FL about what is ok in their situation so they can then have official written advice on what FL will or will not allow in this case.

I agree. Hopefully the OP has realised that by now.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 344
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 9:03 PM

Mark Barnes:
Your original suggestion was a very, very, very bad idea. It is asking for trouble.

Thanks Mark, I accept this and agree.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS