How do you handle switch from studying to reading?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 641
Jim | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 15 2019 10:36 AM

I normally have a study window open with many panes: a pane for original language bibles, a pane for language helps, a pane with tabs for several English texts, a pane for commentaries, a pane for highlight tools, and a pane for notes ( I use a 24" monitor).

While I'm studying a passage I may do a topic search and open a book that I just want to focus on reading. If I tell that tab to open in another window and minimize the busy main Logos window that almost works. But I'd really like to be able to have my highlight pane and clippings pane open alongside it without having to find the resource all over again.

Has anyone else run into a need to do this? How do you handle it? Is there a way to tell Logos to open another layout and make the resource you're looking at the main one in the new view?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 1997
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 11:17 AM

Jim:
Is there a way to tell Logos to open another layout and make the resource you're looking at the main one in the new view?

There's no "button" as such. My approach is to open the reading resource in a floating window, then use the add tab button to open the Notes tool (need to drag Notes in order to put it side by side with the book). Does that make sense and does it satisfy your need?

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 12:22 PM

Jim:
How do you handle it?

I leave my desk, pick up my iPad and go into another room. There are too many distractions on the PC.

Posts 1633
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 5:55 PM

I open the book in a new window, and move it onto a 2nd monitor.

Plenty space. Great for scrolling. And I can still see the Info window, Bible text etc on the other window.

FWIW, my 2nd monitor is rotated to portrait mode.

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2019 6:02 PM

Mark Barnes:
I leave my desk, pick up my iPad and go into another room.

+1

The right tool for the right job. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 641
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2019 12:32 PM

Unfortunately I can't afford an iPad.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 2401
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2019 12:37 PM

JT (alabama24):

Mark Barnes:
I leave my desk, pick up my iPad and go into another room.

+1
The right tool for the right job.

+1 more

Jim:

Unfortunately I can't afford an iPad.

Or any other tablet. Amazon and others have a fair sale today [7/16]

Posts 641
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2019 12:47 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
My approach is to open the reading resource in a floating window, then use the add tab button to open the Notes tool

I just tried that, and it may be more workable than I thought. The reason I discounted this approach was that Logos only allows one Highlights pane  and I just found out only one copy of a particular clippings file to be open at all. (It will allow multiple notes panes.) So if I open a Highlights pane and the clippings file I was working with next to the resource in my new window, they are deleted/moved out of the main window. Anyway I just realized I can get back to the old main window layout by saving that layout and selecting it later (thought this switch isn't very fast on my computer).

Some people suggested using an iPad, but I don't have one and can't afford a tablet right now.

Have a great day,
jmac

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS