Bug 8.7 beta 1: Significant workflow disruption in new context menu

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 21 2019 1:44 AM

In the old context menu, I could copy Bible verses in my preferred CBV format direct from the menu because the menu used to use the last-used CBV format.

I can no longer do that because the menu only gives me three options, none of which I want. This might not sound like a big deal, but it feels like a significant disruption to my workflow.

Please ensure the Copy Bible Reference command uses the last-used CBV formats.

Posts 1998
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2019 5:41 AM

I don’t have my computer right now, so I can’t verify… But if I recall correctly the “styled“ option has not yet been added to the context menu. According to previous discussions, however, I believe the context menu options will match the text selection menu options. In this latest iteration, the text selection menu includes a “styled“ option which does what you are talking about. I imagine that that will also get added to the context menu. 

Edit:

Back at my computer now and I do see the "styled" option and it correctly uses the last used CBV style...

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2019 1:33 PM

As you can see, it was not obvious to me that "Styled" meant the style I had last selected with the CBV tool. Why can't it just use the name of the style?

Posts 1998
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2019 11:13 PM

One reason I wouldn't want to see the actual style name being used is because of the length of most of my style names. The four buttons already need to be reduced in size unless the commands panel gets widened.

Compare:

With:

My preference would be a hover tooltip (on each of these buttons, btw) that explains the behavior. In the case of "Styled" a dynamic title in the tooltip could be the name of the last used CBV style.

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2019 12:32 AM

Release Notes describes the new Styled function. I think it's a great title - short and clear.

That being said, for my part I had trouble understanding the "Lines" one.

Apart from tooltips, another UI option could be to put a little question mark on the right hand side that opens up the Help file or give a popup explanation of each type of "Copy" functionality. 

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2019 1:55 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
One reason I wouldn't want to see the actual style name being used is because of the length of most of my style names.

The 'More' text is superfluous, I think » on its own would do the job. Even if it has to be truncated at 8 or 10 characters, it would still help. We could always shorten our custom CBV style names to accommodate.

Reuben Helmuth:
The four buttons already need to be reduced in size unless the commands panel gets widened.

This isn't an issue for me. I don't know if that's because of my scaling or because I'm on Windows.

Reuben Helmuth:
My preference would be a hover tooltip (on each of these buttons, btw) that explains the behavior. In the case of "Styled" a dynamic title in the tooltip could be the name of the last used CBV style.

That would help.

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2019 7:22 AM

This sounds like the same issue I reported here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/182693/1056983.aspx#1056983

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2019 8:11 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

This sounds like the same issue I reported here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/182693/1056983.aspx#1056983

It's working for me now, Kevin. I don't know whether that means it wasn't working earlier, or I just didn't realise what the button did.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS