New Hardware Thoughts

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 21 2019 1:11 PM

It looks like I am finally going to be in a position to upgrade my aging hardware (5+ years) (and pay off my Logos payment plansGeeked). I could just get some SSDs and I still might do that on one of them, but I thought a box with a Ryzen 9 would pretty much put Logos in the fast lane for the duration and I could forget everything else. I have some other hardware-intensive things I do and want to do so this seems like a good path. I realize the 3900X is a bit of overkill for Logos and a custom box is on the splurge side but it would still be in the same neighborhood as a trip to the Apple Store and I don't have an excuse for the new Mac N' cheese grater.

Anyone have any thoughts about preferred custom builders. Or anything I should avoid on a custom box. I really don't want a light show on this thing, It's not an idol.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1205
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2019 1:48 PM

I went the same route a few months ago, I have always been a mac man but crossed over to the dark side :). I built a pretty solid system for not that much $, - 16 gb of RAM, Interl 8400 i5, 512 GB M.2 drive (highly recommend a M.2 drive) I use it almost exclusively for Logos and it does the job.

Posts 1205
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2019 1:54 PM

I should add that my processor although not the most robust (2.8 GHZ, with turbo over 3ghz) , only during indexing does it run at 100%, usually it sits around 5% or less with small bursts as searches are done etc. 

In my opinion you would be better served putting your money in a fast drive and RAM  

Posts 660
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2019 2:54 PM

Adding a 1T SSD to my old system took care of all of my needs. SSD needs extra space to perform well.

Posts 30
David Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2019 4:01 PM

Experience: I've built about 4 computers at my workplace in the last couple of years, and been the 'purchasing manager' on deciding which high-end laptops to get some engineers.

For Logos: 8-16 GB ram, M.2 drive big enough for the OS and your Logos library. The M.2 drive is essential, everything else is optional. The m.2 drives are 4-8x faster than 'regular' SSD's. Also make sure that it's an m.2 NVME drive. For a particular model, I'd strongly recommend the Samsung 970 Evo.

No video card is required. Mid-spec processor. You can build an extremely good Logos computer for about seven hundred dollars. For example: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZLt3KB

It's pretty much impossible to get custom parts that doesn't have a built-in lightshow these days. Cover it all up with a plain box with no windows. :) 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2019 3:02 AM

David Drew:
For Logos: 8-16 GB ram, M.2 drive big enough for the OS and your Logos library. The M.2 drive is essential, everything else is optional.

I agree that an M2 drive should be the priority. But 8Gb RAM is not optional, that's essential. 16Gb is perhaps optional, but I'd recommend it if you're custom building. It's not expensive and its cheaper to get it now rather than later. Processor speed will make a difference, even with Logos. If you're custom-building, and you can afford it after the M2 and the RAM, then a decent K-series processor that can be overclocked will make a difference, especially when indexing. (The faster the SSD, the faster the processor can be in order to keep up with it.)

Posts 1597
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2019 7:44 AM

I am using crap hardware compared with just about anyone.

7th Gen i3 laptop

12 GB (was 6 GB) RAM

1 TB SATA SSD (was HDD)

I first went from 6 GB to 12 GB Ram, and while performance was improved, it was still quite sluggish.

The SSD, even on the SATA interface was a great step up. Of course M2 would be the better option, but even SATA can bring old hardware back to life better than any other upgrade.

Processor? Of course when indexing I am occasionally processor bound. But in general operation Chrome seems to eat more CPU cycles.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2019 9:35 AM

This page is pretty clear about what Logos recommends:

https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007554992-Recommended-Hardware-and-Software

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS