"This Resource is Not Currently Available On This Device" - Logos Bible Software 8.6 8.6.0.0052 on macOS system

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 25724
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 13 2020 3:46 PM

TYA:

"Use Internet": YES

"Automatically Start Downloads": NO

"Click to Download Available Downloads (263MB)" ***I DON'T WANT THESE UPDATES--ONLY THE 2 MODULES I JUST PURCHASED***

"Download New Resources": YES (but I also tried NO, and that still didn't let me manually download the modules)

The settings above are correct. However, you will have to allow the download of 263 MB before you can get any further. It will include the two resources you purchased and probably some resource updates. It may also include a software update (which is roughly 190 MB). There isn't an option to restrict downloads to new resources.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 18379
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 13 2020 9:30 PM

Dave Hooton:

TYA:

"Use Internet": YES

"Automatically Start Downloads": NO

"Click to Download Available Downloads (263MB)" ***I DON'T WANT THESE UPDATES--ONLY THE 2 MODULES I JUST PURCHASED***

"Download New Resources": YES (but I also tried NO, and that still didn't let me manually download the modules)

The settings above are correct. However, you will have to allow the download of 263 MB before you can get any further. It will include the two resources you purchased and probably some resource updates. It may also include a software update (which is roughly 190 MB). There isn't an option to restrict downloads to new resources.

Automatic software updating can be disabled by using command:

Set Update Channel to Manual

Since the "Manual" channel does not exist, software will not automatically update. When want to update, can manually download & install current stable application release from install pages => https://www.logos.com/install OR https://verbum.com/install OR change update channel back to automatic:

Set Update Channel to Default

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
TYA | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2020 8:32 AM

I want to thank you *all* for your kind and helpful replies, although I must admit that (certainly because of my own newness, and ignorance with Logos), I didn't understand them all.  So far, (and correct me if I missed something in your replies), there *isn't* a way to download *only* the 2 books I just purchased, *without* getting everything else Logos wants me to download.  Is this correct???

Someone replied up above, "This is the 10th anniversary of this, Logos-pain".  What exactly does that mean?  What are you talking about?  Is this your way of saying that I can't just download the 2 books I purchased--again, *without* the other downloads?

While I am new to Logos, I am a BibleWorks, Accordance, and e-Sword user.  In *all* of these other programs, I can easily download the resources I purchase.  I am not forced to download *anything* that I don't want.  Thus, you can understand my expectation that Logos would allow me to simply download the 2 resources I just purchased.

Hopefully, you can understand my bewilderment and frustration when I clicked the "Download" button, and nothing happened.  Again, I wasn't even given a message or notification or error explaining anything.  It was a total dead-end.

So, would someone kindly confirm for me.  I am using Logos 8 (fully downloaded and installed) on a Windows 7 PC: can I, or can't I download *only* the resources I pay for in Logos, without downloading other things that Logos says are "ready to be downloaded"?

Thank you.

Posts 28357
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2020 8:46 AM

TYA:
there *isn't* a way to download *only* the 2 books I just purchased, *without* getting everything else Logos wants me to download.  Is this correct???

Correct. 

TYA:
Someone replied up above, "This is the 10th anniversary of this, Logos-pain".  What exactly does that mean?  What are you talking about?

In a very old version of the software, users could get the resources only without updating the software. Usually by CR-ROM. Surprise

I agree with your desire. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5
TYA | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2020 9:02 AM

Thanks all, and Dave, and JT, your answers were nicely to the point.  That answers it for me.  Thanks again.  Pardon my frustration.  As I noted, I use 4 other Bible software's, and so I found this situation with Logos less than ideal.

Thanks!

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2020 9:27 AM

JT (alabama24):
In a very old [and best] version of the software, users could get the resources only without updating the software. Usually by CR-ROM

Libby, Libby, Libby on the Label, Label, Label! (minor edit above)

Our 6-feet world allows frisby-golf. Libby's helping out!  Also skeet-shooting too.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1933
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2020 11:36 AM

JT (alabama24):

TYA:
there *isn't* a way to download *only* the 2 books I just purchased, *without* getting everything else Logos wants me to download.  Is this correct???

Correct. 

Could you elaborate on this? Given that downloading any individual purchased resource is now optional, why must he download all of the other items? I understand that if they are updates to existing downloaded resources, they would need to be downloaded - that would be implicit for any downloaded resources before the new functionality was released.

But if they were all new resources, could he not mark them all as "do not download" (or whatever the verbiage is) and they get removed from what Logos thinks it needs to download?

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 29087
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2020 1:04 PM

Donnie Hale:
Given that downloading any individual purchased resource is now optional, why must he download all of the other items?

By "other items" think "other than new resources" i.e. dataset updates and, depending on settings, software updates. You are correct that the download of new resources can be controlled by the user.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25724
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2020 9:08 PM

Donnie Hale:
But if they were all new resources, could he not mark them all as "do not download" (or whatever the verbiage is) and they get removed from what Logos thinks it needs to download?

If you specify NO to the Download New Resources setting you could achieve this, and you can delay any other download with the Automatically Start Downloads setting = NO. It isn't exactly what TYA was requesting, because you have to allow the download at some time!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5
TYA | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 15 2020 7:39 PM

Dave Hooten is correct.  The bottom line for me is that I don't like being forced to download or update things that *I* don't want.  I use 4 other Bible software's (fairly proficiently, I will add), and none of them force updates on me.  I'm not judging Logos, but just giving my feedback that I don't appreciate being forced to download hundreds of updates that I simply don't want.  Period.

And again, I will also leave this feedback that--if you aren't going to let me hit the "Download" button in order to download those 2 resources I just purchased--you need to at least provide a message explaining why.  Thanks to your lack of communication, a solid hour of my night was wasted; and believe me, I had plenty to do.

Posts 25724
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 3:56 PM

TYA:
And again, I will also leave this feedback that--if you aren't going to let me hit the "Download" button in order to download those 2 resources I just purchased--you need to at least provide a message explaining why.

Given the circumstances you described (which I just reproduced), the Download button should not have appeared i.e. it is a bug (which I will report).  If you have resolved the situation by allowing the large download, then you could adopt the following strategy:-

• set Download New Resources = NO
  • set Automatically Start Downloads = NO

After you have ordered new resources, you can check if they are available by looking at Devices > Not on This Device in Library:

I have 1 new book available to download, despite 203 MB also being available. Click the button to display the resource, then right-click to download it. This worked for me, and I can download the others when I'm ready.

NOTE: this assumes that you have all other resources on This Device (the 2240 in my screenshot). Otherwise, sort the resources by the Last Updated column to easily identify your new resources.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25724
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 10:40 AM

Dave Hooton:
Given the circumstances you described (which I just reproduced), the Download button should not have appeared i.e. it is a bug (which I will report)

See https://community.logos.com/forums/t/190064.aspx

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS