"Updating Library Catalog" when no new resources have been added (Version 8.7 RC1)

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 744
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2019 8:28 PM

Here is a new log of mine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0w8p02qqixstwi/logoslogs.eberlein.20190829-072454.zip?dl=0

I started Logos, waited until everything had settled (the message about updating the library had disappeared). I assume all metadata was updated by then. Then I closed Logos. 

Then I restarted Logos again and waited again until the message about the library update disappeared. This second startup took 3min 45 sec.

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2019 3:56 PM

Armin:
Here is a new log of mine:

The main startup with your layout showing took 25s. From there you can begin working, irrespective of metadata updates.

Your have reduced your collections somewhat, but 1418 contributed nearly 5s to your 25s startup time before it was cancelled. A few more attempts were made after startup before it succeeded - and it took nearly 9s.

EDIT: To clarify, updating the Collection cache was cancelled before startup, and only succeeded after startup. The cache is a list of resources that are in your collections, so reducing the number of collections from 1418 to several hundred will reduce the time taken to evaluate your collections and update the cache.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 10:49 PM

Armin,

I too took a look at your latest log. There is a general slowness in your log, but no real errors. That slowness is mostly due to the complex layout Logos is loading on startup. Your layout has 55 panels to open, several of which have to do extra work.

Your collections also take a little bit of time to load. It probably doesn't help that you have the Collections tool open in your starting layout. Collections also update after metadata updates, so yours end up recalculating several times during startup.

Your notes also seem quite slow, especially for Timothy Keller's Romans 1-7 For You. You also have a LOT of notes in your 1984 NIV. Again, it probably doesn't help that those two resources and your notes tool open in your starting layout.

In summary, Logos is trying to run hundreds of small tasks in parallel when it starts. Some of those are triggered by having lots of collections, others by having lots of notes, others by having a complex layout, others by metadata updates. Some of the later tasks interrupt the earlier tasks resulting in them having to be re-run, which makes everything take longer, and increases the likelihood that there will be additional interruptions.

My advice would be to evaluate whether you need such a complex starting layout - and if you do, whether you even need to restart Logos at all. (If you use it often, just minimise it and leave it open.)

What spec is your Mac?

Posts 744
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 11:56 PM

Dave Hooton:

The main startup with your layout showing took 25s. From there you can begin working, irrespective of metadata updates.

Yes, I can start working after about 35 sec.

Dave Hooton:

... so reducing the number of collections from 1418 to several hundred will reduce the time ...

I am really confused by this. I can only see 54 collections in my collections tool. How can I delete all these collections?

Posts 744
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 12:01 AM

Mark Barnes:

Your notes also seem quite slow, especially for Timothy Keller's Romans 1-7 For You

This is interesting. I only just started reading this book and haven't even made many notes in it.

Mark Barnes:

In summary, Logos is trying to run hundreds of small tasks in parallel when it starts. Some of those are triggered by having lots of collections, others by having lots of notes, others by having a complex layout, others by metadata updates. Some of the later tasks interrupt the earlier tasks resulting in them having to be re-run, which makes everything take longer, and increases the likelihood that there will be additional interruptions.

This makes sense, especially since even deleting more than half of the collections in my collections tool did not make a big difference in the startup speed.

Mark Barnes:

.... whether you even need to restart Logos at all. 

That's what I will try to adjust to.

Mark Barnes:

What spec is your Mac?

MacBook Pro 2017 with 16 GB RAM and 2TB SSD

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 12:29 AM

Armin:
I am really confused by this. I can only see 54 collections in my collections tool. How can I delete all these collections?

The log reports 1,418 collections, but this includes a 'collection' for each distinct tag in your library. Reducing the number of distinct tags will reduce the number of 'collections', but it won't make a big difference to speed. Collections built from tags are pretty quick to cache.

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 12:30 AM

Armin:

Mark Barnes:

.... whether you even need to restart Logos at all. 

That's what I will try to adjust to.

Mark Barnes:

What spec is your Mac?

Greetings Amin

One of the reasons that I have not chipped in on this post is because I only restart Logos when there is a program upgrade and hence actually have little idea as to how long it takes to start. I do tend to finish work with the program by closing all windows and leaving it at the home page.

On my MacBook pro that is only when the stable version upgrades. I run the Beta on an iMac. The rest of the time the main Logos Panel sits in its own space and I just flick the space to it when required . Access it almost instantaneous. The longest delay is my poking my finger out for touch id.

Do you have a reason for quitting Logos more often?

Posts 2635
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 10:27 AM

Armin:

Mark Barnes:

Your notes also seem quite slow, especially for Timothy Keller's Romans 1-7 For You

This is interesting. I only just started reading this book and haven't even made many notes in it.

Armin,

Do you have any other notebooks or corresponding notes and highlights turned on? The book by Keller is a commentary, so you might have other notes on Romans that are being loaded.

Posts 744
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 7:07 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Armin:

Mark Barnes:

Armin,

Do you have any other notebooks or corresponding notes and highlights turned on? The book by Keller is a commentary, so you might have other notes on Romans that are being loaded.

Hi Philana,

Yes, I have Notes and Highlights turned on. So I do see other notes on Romans which I don't really need to see. However, if I don't select this option, I don't see my highlights either. 

I don't have "corresponding notes" available as an option.

Armin

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 9:11 PM

“Corresponding notes” would only be found in bibles with RI’s. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS