OT- Audio to print software

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3337
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 14 2010 2:46 AM

Is there software that can take audio and convert it to text?

Has anyone here tried it? what do you recommend?

Posts 19689
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 2:51 AM

Dragon Dictate is a well known one. My Dad has used it at his office for dictating his notes. It's not 100% accurate, but it's pretty good for most normal text. In English that is. I don't know if they work with other language.

Why do you ask? I'm not sure what the benefit would be for this with OT Audio. Presumably all OT Audio comes from text already. So converting it back to text seems an error-prone way to make the full circuit. Unless perhaps you're trying to come up with an automated way to test yourself with memorizing Scripture.

Posts 3337
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 3:08 AM

"ot" = off topic :)

I have messages by others I listen to and at times want to critique them and would prefer to have their message in text so there is no issue of direct quoting them. But it is very time consuming to listen to them, stop the message, type what they said, and repeat process.

So its basically a tool to convert sermons to text for various reasons.

Posts 19689
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 3:48 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

"ot" = off topic :)

Duh! I should have known that. Stick out tongue

Whyndell Grizzard:

I have messages by others I listen to and at times want to critique them and would prefer to have their message in text so there is no issue of direct quoting them. But it is very time consuming to listen to them, stop the message, type what they said, and repeat process.

So its basically a tool to convert sermons to text for various reasons.

That would be really useful! I've transcribed talks before for my own use, and it's a painstaking process. There are still people employed as transcriptionists (I have a friend who is one), so I'm guessing the software isn't accurate enough and general enough to replace them all yet. Though their numbers are dwindling, they remain still in fields where a highly specialized vocabulary and extreme accuracy are needed (medical, legal).

You could do a Google search for voice transcription software and there are some other options out there besides Dragon, but it definitely is the acknowledged leader in the field, and it's much more affordable now than it used to be back in the days where it included a separate hardware card you had to install in your PC to get it to run. It's designed to work with user input from a microphone, though. You'd have to investigate to see if it will accept input from a pre-recorded stream or CD. I suppose you could play your sermon tapes through your speakers and pick up that sound in your microphone, but it would lose something in audio quality along the transition. Also, I know you have to train it to be able to recognize your voice, so I'm not sure how well it would do with various different voices of speakers from your recorded messages. You wouldn't have the opportunity to train Dragon to recognize each speaker's particular accents and inflections.

EDIT: BTW, after generations of evolution, the product is now called Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:23 AM

You might check Adobe.

I have used a speech to text feature in their video production suite. Its available in the Premiere Pro/Soundbooth CS4. The audio has to be good quality and there are times that you'll have to make minor corrections especially if the ambient/background sounds are strong. You can also do segments of the audio instead of the entire file. So if there are difficult areas you can break the file up to manage accuracy better on the problem sections.

The Downside it's not cheap.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:32 AM

Idea: Phone anyone and play them the tape, them send them an email about anything, but including a request for NSA to send you a copy of the transcript of the phone call you just made.

Ops - silly me Smile

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 4:21 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:
it is very time consuming to listen to them, stop the message, type what they said, and repeat process.

I agree with you here!!  This is one reason why I have always considered taking shorthand but never found the classes or the real desire to just do it.  Got so many other things I could do. 

Posts 3337
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 4:25 PM

Yep- looked into this- my wife would shoot me- so to avoid her having to spend her retirement years in prison- I'll pass for now. She really is a very nice lady:)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS