Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 14 2010 6:13 PM

Hello,

What would you think about having the Merriam Websters 1828 dictionary available on Logos?

Thanks!

Douglas

Posts 343
Jason Saling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:57 PM

There is, but it is sold by someone else (designed for Libronix/Logos) and I'm not allowed to link to such, due to forum guidelines.  I was wondering if it even mattered though, since Logos does not sale the product.  If I'm allowed to direct you to such, then perhaps an employee could let me know.

Jason Saling

Posts 19716
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:11 PM

[deleted by poster]

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:11 PM

Hello,

Here is my email if you are allowed too.

"Jahovahrafa at inbox dot com"

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Douglas

Posts 19716
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:14 PM

Douglas, you might not want to post your email address in plain text like that, as spam bots scouring the web can pick it up. Most people modify theirs in some way such as "emailname at domain dot com."

You can edit your post if you do it within the first few hours of posting. Just click on the More button beside your post and select Edit, then make the changes and click Post.

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:20 PM

It is included in the "The Christian History Library" http://www.logos.com/products/details/3525

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:23 PM

Rosie Perera:

Douglas, you might not want to post your email address in plain text like that, as spam bots scouring the web can pick it up. Most people modify theirs in some way such as "emailname at domain dot com."

You can edit your post if you do it within the first few hours of posting. Just click on the More button beside your post and select Edit, then make the changes and click Post.

Thank You    :)

Sincerely,

Douglas

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:27 PM

Don:

It is included in the "The Christian History Library" http://www.logos.com/products/details/3525

Thank You   :)

Sincerely,

Douglas

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:30 PM

Douglas:
What would you think about having the Merriam Websters 1828 dictionary available on Logos?

I am sure you meant Noah Webster 1828 dictionary.....As Don said, you can get it in the really cool bundle with the other titles from Foundation for American Christian Education (F.A.C.E.) I have used those books in homeschooling and can recommend them with a smile on my f.a.c.e. Big Smile

or, you can also find it sold in Libronix format published by F.A.C.E. at locations off this web site.

Just be careful to confirm it is actually the Libronix format CD. There is another version that is NOT the same.  NOTE: The same goes for the Oxford Concise Dictionary - there is a Libronix format & another that is not.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 36372
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:17 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Foundation for American Christian Eduataion (F.A.C.E.)

I really shouldn't tease you but I hope your spelling isn't indicative of the quality of their educational materials. Big Smile - it just too good an opportunity for me to behave myself, despite having some spelling bloopers of my own.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:40 PM

MJ. Smith:
but I hope your spelling isn't indicative of

Before Noah Webster spelling was pretty muche whotebwer a pursun wantted it too be.

It has a lot more to do with my stubborn refusal to use spell checkers than it does with the fine ladies who wrote the texts.

btw: thanks for immortalizing my boo-boo in the quote. It is funny, huh? 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:44 PM

MJ. Smith:

Matthew C Jones:
Foundation for American Christian Eduataion (F.A.C.E.)

I really shouldn't tease you but I hope your spelling isn't indicative of the quality of their educational materials. Big Smile - it just too good an opportunity for me to behave myself, despite having some spelling bloopers of my own.

Would someone care to explain why this particular dictionary is desired?  It's not old enough (nor British enough) to be useful regarding the language of the King James, and it's too old to be of contemporary relevance.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 36372
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:45 PM

Matthew C Jones:
btw: thanks for immortalizing my boo-boo in the quote. It is funny, huh? 

You're welcome - I could correct the spelling and leave the subsequent readers totally confused. My sister proof reads for an educational software firm. She has a number of funny cases that the spell checker missed including misspellings people added into their dictionary.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9553
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:48 PM

George Somsel:
Would someone care to explain why this particular dictionary is desired? 

Here is the (breathless) copy on the web page referenced above describing why you, George Somsel, should buy this dictionary.

The Webster’s 1828 Dictionary is a unique and essential tool for educating Christians. It has the greatest number of Biblical definitions of any reference. Roots are traced in 26 languages. Usage examples come from classical literature and the Bible. This dictionary becomes not only a tool for defining words biblically, it becomes a way of thinking that forms your worldview. It will equip you for Christian leadership, strengthen your vocabulary, give you an edge in communicating your view and become your foundation for thinking and reasoning Biblically. This tool can be the turning point for you to be more effective in communicating Christian principles used in government, economics, and marketing or for your student to clearly understand how the Bible has influenced every area of life.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:50 PM

George Somsel:

The definitions frequently use scripture references or just plain good old fashioned moral examples. Webster's Bible took the KJV text and "Americanized" it so it is not really a KJV issue at all. Many students of the founding fathers like having a more contemporary source to understand their writings. American syntax has really degraded in the past 180 years. (Just like our spelling skills....Embarrassed )

Posts 19716
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:50 PM

Mark A. Smith:

George Somsel:

Here is the (breathless) copy on the web page referenced above describing why you, George Somsel, should buy this dictionary.

The Webster’s 1828 Dictionary is a unique and essential tool for educating Christians. It has the greatest number of Biblical definitions of any reference. Roots are traced in 26 languages. Usage examples come from classical literature and the Bible. This dictionary becomes not only a tool for defining words biblically, it becomes a way of thinking that forms your worldview. It will equip you for Christian leadership, strengthen your vocabulary, give you an edge in communicating your view and become your foundation for thinking and reasoning Biblically. This tool can be the turning point for you to be more effective in communicating Christian principles used in government, economics, and marketing or for your student to clearly understand how the Bible has influenced every area of life.

Yes, buy that dictionary and you too can write persuasive ad copy like that. Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:55 PM

MJ. Smith:
I could correct the spelling and leave the subsequent readers totally confused

No. This is "live, without a net!"

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:57 PM

Mark A. Smith:

George Somsel:

It was, however, found necessary to correct many of old Noah's biblical etymologies once G. C. Merriam took over the publication.  Having the definitions isn't the most important factor but whether they are correct.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 10:01 PM

Rosie Perera:
Yes, buy that dictionary and you too can write persuasive ad copy like that. Smile

I think I'll stick with my Collins 8th, Merriam-Webster Collegiate and Concise Oxford unless the bring out the OED then I in for that.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 36372
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 10:03 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Sounds to me like I ought to purchase a bridge and some snake oil from them as well.Cool Oops, should I have kept my mouth shut? Zip it! As  a certain comic used to say "The Devil made me do it."

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS