8.7 SR-2 (8.7.0.0042) is now available

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2577
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 21 2019 12:49 PM

The Logos Bible Software desktop application version 8.7 SR-2 is now available to all users.

To immediately update to the current stable version, enter the Update Now command. Otherwise, the app will automatically update the next time it's scheduled to check for updates.

Release Notes

Download Link

Important:

• Some anti-virus software are falsely flagging and quarantining Logos 8.7 as malicious.
    • Bitdefender seems to be the most common; we have contacted the company and they will review it for inclusion in their next Signature Update.
    • If you would like to install 8.7 while you wait for your anti-virus service to unblock it, you may uninstall your anti-virus software and use Windows Defender in the meantime instead; it's free and included in Windows 10.
Posts 1389
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2019 9:25 AM

Thank you for the context menu changes!  I've only taken a peek at them so far, but I really appreciate the direction taken with the changes.  Smile

Posts 1
Andrew Shearer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 6:08 AM

What happened to the options in the information window?  

When I used to right mouse click on a word in a passage, I would get an information window that allowed me to do a morphological search, or find the meaning of the root word in DBL or Strongs, etc.  That option seems to be missing now? 

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 6:34 AM

Andrew Shearer:
When I used to right mouse click on a word in a passage, I would get an information window that allowed me to do a morphological search, or find the meaning of the root word in DBL or Strongs, etc. 

Welcome Andrew,

Do you select the word before you right-click, because you will see the new Selection window with limited options. If you directly right-click on a word, you will get the Context menu with those options.

You can turn off the Selection window by going to Tools > Program Settings, find Show Selection Menu and click on NO.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 133
Piet Huttenga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 10:08 PM

Hi,

After the update 8.7 it looks as if my logos has become a lot slower even after I have switched this off. Do others agree or is just accidentally?

Piet Huttenga

Posts 133
Piet Huttenga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 10:32 PM

It looks as if Logos 8 has become a lot slower? And do these menus not bring a lot of overkill?

I select the just the word formalism in a commentary on Ecclesiastes 4:17: 

My apologies for the Dutch version, but almost nothing of the information seems to be relevant.

My concern is that I will not be able to use my Logos in a simple way. As far as I know I have switched the changes off. Is it possible to undo update 8.7?

Blessings,

Piet

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 10:33 PM

Piet Huttenga:
After the update 8.7 it looks as if my logos has become a lot slower even after I have switched this off.

The Selection Menu being off won't help overall speed. Anything specific that is slower, because I don't see this?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 133
Piet Huttenga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 10:45 PM

Well I will have to test it out more. One thing what takes longer is to get to the meaning of Hebrew and Greek words, but this is maybe what I think now. It was possible to go more directly to the preferred dictionaries.

Now I have to take the following steps:

And select Studie van Bijbelwoorden

And then choose one of the dictionaries:

And then I come to the lemma of echad.

I would appreciate if Logos would go for simplification.

But may be everything has to do with my ignorance.

Blessings,

Piet

Posts 133
Piet Huttenga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 10:47 PM

Well my apologies, I react to quick, I see that there is also  a more direct way to go to these dictionaries. Well I am sorry, I will take the time to wake up a bit more.

Blessings,

Piet

Posts 133
Piet Huttenga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 10:52 PM

Thank you for your reaction. A point to be made is in my opinion still "simplification". The menus look too detailed to me. There may be a relationship between אֶחָד and Friendship, but would it not be better if a person is interested in this relationship would be left to find out in some intermediate steps?

Thank you for your attention!

Blessings,

Piet

Posts 133
Piet Huttenga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 11:29 PM

It is beginning to work much faster now, so I am happy now!

Blessings,

Piet

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 12:39 AM

EDIT: I didn't have time to see your last response!

Piet Huttenga:
A point to be made is in my opinion still "simplification". The menus look too detailed to me

Information in the Context menu increased significantly with Logos 6 and the new datasets that classify bible text e.g. Events, Preaching themes, Literary typing, Speech Acts. It is slower because of this, and Faithlife are considering ways to improve it.

Piet Huttenga:
There may be a relationship between אֶחָד and Friendship, but would it not be better if a person is interested in this relationship would be left to find out in some intermediate steps?

The new Selection Menu has Study (Bible Word Study) and Lookup (dictionary) commands but they are inconsistent/inadequate for original language study in a English Reverse Interlinear e.g. select any word in the phrase "with one accord" Zeph 3:9. And selection in a Hebrew bible can be awkward, whereas a right-click is precise. The Context menu provides the needed choices for a lemma!

If you copied the lemma from another source(?), you can directly access the Bible Word Study from the Guides menu if it is not in your layout. Or you can access a lexicon from your Library

Once you've got a Bible Word Study for אֶחָד you have access to Translations and lexicons. The first doesn't show "friendship" (and you can try different Reverse Interlinears), so you need a Theological Lexicon to explore the word's origin e.g. TWOT.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1389
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 7:41 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

Thank you for the context menu changes!  I've only taken a peek at them so far, but I really appreciate the direction taken with the changes.  Smile

Still haven't had much opportunity to explore all the changes, but one thing I really appreciate is the more streamlined way of looking up English words in resources.

Thank you Faithlife!

Posts 2
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 9:59 AM

Dear Philana,

Thank you for the release notice. I am very thankful for Logos!

With that said, I would strongly recommend AGAINST uninstalling a premium anti-virus fo a single software application to use. That is not good advice, even temporarily. Who leaves their house doors wide open for anybody to ransack the house even if you have a video camera at the doors (Windows Defender is better at watching than blocking)? Rather, you may consider other options, such as creating an exception rule for Logos or temporarily disabling antivirus during upgrade or use of Logos and then re-enabling when ready. Yes, Windows Defender is free, but it not to be relied on. There are even free antiviruses with realtime protection, but again, you get what you pay for (or don't).

If anyone needs a great antivirus or antiransomware protection or remote computer support, feel free to contact me.

Blessings!

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 10:38 AM

Jeremy:
Windows Defender is better at watching than blocking

Windows Defender was just rated one of the best antivirus software for Windows by an independent group: https://www.techspot.com/news/81396-windows-defender-ranked-joint-best-antivirus-program.html

A former Mozilla engineer recommends uninstalling any antivirus software except Microsoft's: https://robert.ocallahan.org/2017/01/disable-your-antivirus-software-except.html

Posts 2
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 2:40 PM

As an IT professional and consistenly removing infections from users with Windows Defender (as recently as 2 days ago), free A/V's, and/or no A/V installed, I defer to experience over an article. It was rather interesting reading however. Thank you for the mention. Blessings sir :)

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 12:33 PM

Or, as I like to snarkily put it...

Antivirus software *IS* the virus.

-Donnie

Posts 5
Paul Rubiola | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 1:34 PM

In general I really like the changes to the context menu.  Perhaps I am just not seeing it amidst the plethora of new functionality but I can't seem to find the "open in a new tab" feature that I have come to rely on.  Please let me know if this feature has been dropped.

Thank you

Paul Rubiola

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 3:33 PM

It was dropped.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 78
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 8:13 PM

Logos 8.7 SR2: great move by Logos. 

Now, again, when are we going to get "Bookmarks"?

Does this needs a congressional meeting in Washington??

Either way, thank you for the upgrades...

Al Sosa 

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS