Word Biblical Commentary to be $399.99 this weekend

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 26467
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 2:34 PM

Denise:
No one researches the world's religions for the prior 4,000 years to find the right one (except MJ).

Next you're going to tell me that others' college friends weren't mainly Jewish-Catholic-Buddhists until the administration insisted we proved there was an actual service we could have been attending. Something about excused and unexcused absences . . . as if the JCB crowd would unethically stretch the rules. More seriously, there was a small group in the late 60's/early 70's who did very seriously consider many threads of that 4,000 years. You are now benefiting from their work even in small ways such as the series Classics of Western Spirituality which was initiated to keep the group from all turning to the East.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 2:46 PM

MJ. Smith:
... keep the group from all turning to the East.

Mystics will always have the edge over boring tired old logic! And trees with little ropes are especially cute (Shinto ... or was that Asherah).

Posts 262
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 7:56 PM

Denise:

MJ. Smith:
... keep the group from all turning to the East.

Mystics will always have the edge over boring tired old logic! And trees with little ropes are especially cute (Shinto ... or was that Asherah).

Wow. Hearing all that and reading the last few posts on here fried my brain more than it already is friend.

I'm just going back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger, so to speak, on the WBC set for this price, $381 dynamic pricing, for me. 

Posts 227
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 1:22 AM

“Heresy” is in the eye of the beholder—just sayin’.

Posts 40
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 2:05 AM

Jonathan Bradley:
I'm just going back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger, so to speak, on the WBC set for this price, $381 dynamic pricing, for me.

If you are not familiar with the WBC set, read a section of a volume or several volumes in Google Books. I now use previews as a first step in helping me decide whether or not to make a purchase. 

Shalom,

Joseph

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 1418
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 2:55 AM

Joseph Sollenberger:
For me, the WBC format makes perfect sense and is comfortable to use. The format makes it easy to focus in on the specific area of interest when the article has many pages. Digital format makes this process even faster. 

Cool

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 310
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 6:04 AM

Jerry Bush:

Thanks for the heads-up, Mark. I have had this on my wishlist for some time but never pulled the trigger. I am a pastor without the benefit of a theological education so I am not sure if this set would be of use to me. 

Do you have an opinion on it? I cannot read Greek or Hebrew so would this commentary be beneficial?

You could always pull the trigger, see how you like it and if you don't like it put that slug back in the chamber with a 30 day return.

Dead languages are my mid-life crisis

Posts 262
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 7:56 AM

Jeremiah:

Jerry Bush:

Thanks for the heads-up, Mark. I have had this on my wishlist for some time but never pulled the trigger. I am a pastor without the benefit of a theological education so I am not sure if this set would be of use to me. 

Do you have an opinion on it? I cannot read Greek or Hebrew so would this commentary be beneficial?

You could always pull the trigger, see how you like it and if you don't like it put that slug back in the chamber with a 30 day return.

This is actually an amazing idea. Thank you! I hadn't thought of that! 

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 8:07 AM

This is a great series equal or better in some respects than NICOT/NT in my opinion.  Don’t be put off by the inerrancy statements, it’s still extremely useful for digging deeper into God’s Word.

Besides, at the $399 sale price it’s a steal! 

👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 127
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 8:14 AM

Besides the 30 day refund policy, I would look at it as (on a 12 month payment plan) roughly $1 a day to have this set in your library. When the Yale Works of Jonathan Edwards hit 399 a couple of years ago that is the way I looked at it. Am I willing to pay about $1 a day to have a $1300digital/$3400printed set in my library? Easy answer :)

Posts 155
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2019 1:15 PM

I literally just finished my last payment this month and this has to come along!  I've been watching the sale for the past few days and know today is the last day.  Blessed is the man that endures temptation so I'm trying to endure here but man this is a great offer!! 

Posts 127
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2019 2:27 PM

I can't see the payment plan options since I have it and it is grayed out. What is the longest number of months and monthly rate they let you draw it out to?

Posts 1103
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2019 6:44 PM

I'm sure for most people putting this on a credit card and paying interest would be more economical than a Logos payment plan. Those are usually better only for much larger purchases.

Tony Walker:

I can't see the payment plan options since I have it and it is grayed out. What is the longest number of months and monthly rate they let you draw it out to?

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2019 6:57 PM

Tony Walker:

I signed out and then went to the WBC page and this is what showed up.  Notice the $240.10 down payment, typical of Zondervan products due to royalties.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2019 7:19 PM

DAL:
I signed out and then went to the WBC page and this is what showed up.  Notice the $240.10 down payment, typical of Zondervan products due to royalties.

What is that ... slightly short of 50% loan charge?  

Posts 1103
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2019 7:25 PM

Denise:

DAL:

What is that ... slightly short of 50% loan charge?  

Meanwhile, if you have a credit card with 14% APR and pay $35 a month, you'll pay it off after 13 months with about $32 total in interest--and that's with no down payment.

Logos payment plans are probably sometimes useful, but you really should do the math before pulling the trigger on them.

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2019 7:28 PM

Payment plans for larger purchases are worth it or even some smaller ones that don’t include Zondervan products.

DAL

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS