SUGGESTION: Expansion of Text Comparison tool

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 31 2019 12:38 AM

Through Bible Commentaries and Personal Books, users often have many biblical translations that don't work in text comparison.  It would be very useful to have one column of the comparison that could be filled by "selected text" ... so that translations outside standard bibles (including our own) could be included in the text comparison.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2405
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 5:06 AM

Through Bible Commentaries and Personal Books, users often have many biblical translations that don't work in text comparison.  It would be very useful to have one column of the comparison that could be filled by "selected text" ... so that translations outside standard bibles (including our own) could be included in the text comparison.

Psalm 1:1

ASV 1901/Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the wicked,/Nor/standeth/in the way of sinners,/Norsitteth/in the seat of/scoffers:16% difference

AMP/BLESSED (HAPPY, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable)/is the man/who walks and lives/not in the counsel of the/ungodly [following their advice,/their plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive/and/inactive]/in the/path wheresinners/walk,/nor sits down [to relax/and/rest] where the scornful [and/the/mockers] gather.66% difference

AV 1873/BLESSED/is the man/That/walketh not in the counsel of the/ungodly,/Nor/standeth/in the way of sinners,/Nor/sitteth/in the seat of/the scornful.27% difference

D-R/BLESSED/is the man/who hath/not/walked/in the counsel of the/ungodly,/nor stood/in the way of sinners,/nor sat/in the/chair/of/pestilence:40% difference

RDR/(1) BLESSED (a)/is the man,/that/hath/not/gone/in the counsel of the/impious,/& hath (b)/not/stood/in the way of sinners, and/hath (d)/not/sit/in the/chair/of/pestilence:43% difference

RDR is a PBB Bible    Text comparison seems to work.  What are you looking for that is not shown here?

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 3:08 PM

I cannot include resources such as the Anchor Yale Bible or The Newe Testament Dylygently Corrected and Compared with the Greke by Willyam Tindale. I have literally 100's of such resources.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2405
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 6:57 PM

Re: Anchor Yale Bible
The volumes that I have are typed as Bible Commentary

So I opened THE ANCHOR YALE BIBLE: Revelation - A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary

Found this text on page 392:
2 8 Write to the angel of the community in Smyrna: This is the prophecy of the First and the Last, who was dead and became alive. 9 I discern your tribulation and your poverty, but you are rich and I perceive the blasphemy of those who call themselves Jews and are not but are of the assembly of Satan. 10 Do not fear the things which you are about to suffer. Behold, the accuser is about to throw some of you into prison that you may be tried, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful unto death and I will give you the crown of life. 11 Let the one who has spiritual hearing heed what the Spirit says to the communities. The one who prevails will not be harmed by the second death.

Revelation: introduction, translation, and commentary (Vol. 38, p. 392). New Haven; London: Yale University Press.

But the reference to Revelation 2:10 finds: [when typed into the search box]

10. Do not fear the things. א P 1, 82, 2344 pm latt sy TR read “Fear nothing.”
accuser. Gr. diabolos. Basically the verb diaballō means to separate, accuse, or slander, but the LXX uses the noun diabolos for Satan in the sense of one who separates, accuses, slanders, seduces; cf. Zech 3:1 ff.

Revelation: introduction, translation, and commentary (Vol. 38, p. 393). New Haven; London: Yale University Press.

Found the reference on page 393. The page after the Bible text

Added to my bible collection it gave no hits

Posts 2405
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 6:57 PM

Re: The newe Testament by adding it to a collection

The reference to Revelation 2:10 finds:
B
And unto the aungell of the congregacion of Smyrna wryte. These thinges sayth he that is fyrst/and the last/which was dead/and is alyve. I knowe thy workes and tribulacion & poverte/but thou art ryche: And I knowe the blasphemy of them which call them selves Jewes and are not: but are the cōgregacion of satan. Feare none of tho thinges which thou shalt suffre. Beholde/the devyl shal caste of you into preson/to tempte you/and ye shall have tribulacion ten dayes. Be faythfull unto the death/and I wyll geve the a crowne of lyfe. Let him that hath eares heare what the sprete sayth to the congregaciōs: He that ourecommeth/shall not be hurte of the seconde death.

Tyndale, W. (1536). The 1536 Tyndale Bible New Testament (Re 2:7–11). N.P

Text Comparison found:[When added to my bible collection]

Tyndale 1536 Feare none of tho thinges which thou shalt suffre. Beholde/the devyl shal caste of you into preson/to tempte you/and ye shall have tribulacion ten dayes. Be faythfull unto the death/and I wyll geve the a crowne of lyfe.

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 10:45 PM

Let me try again to clarify the resources that don't work in the Text Comparison ... I was trying to leave the definition as broad as possible but examples are:

• Text Creation libraries which lack the milestone/resource type coding
  • Commentaries which have an embedded translation but are tagged so that the commentary follows in resources linked by Bible reference
  • Personal books that have not been created with the required tagging to behave as a Bible
  • Hymns that are a metrical translation of scripture but not tagged as scripture

Posts 2405
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 2 2019 5:13 AM

MJ. Smith:

Let me try again to clarify the resources that don't work in the Text Comparison ...

I agree with that list.  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS