Suggestion: Keyboard switcher recognize system keyboard

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1019
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 4 2019 1:12 PM

I like having a keyboard switcher in Logos to allow Greek and Hebrew entry.

I already have the Logos Greek keyboard installed as a Windows system keyboard. When I switch to Greek with the system keyboard, Logos does not recognize that I have changed the default keyboard/language to Greek. It would be nice if Logos just recognized this and changed the internal Logos keyboard to Greek.

Another suggestion would be to display the current system language in the keyboard selector instead of simply "default". It would be more meaningful to display "English" or whatever the language the user has in the system.

Posts 1828
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2019 9:00 AM

Our position for years was that people who want to type directly in Greek or Hebrew should use their OS's built-in capabilities. We created untransliteration (g:, h:) for everyone else.

But we kept hearing that there was a group in the middle who wasn't technical enough to use OS languages and keyboards or didn't even know about them but felt like using untransliteration wasn't for them since they knew Greek and Hebrew.

So we finally decided to add support for typing directly in Greek and Hebrew in the app itself to meet the needs of this middle group.

Harry Hahne:
It would be nice if Logos just recognized this and changed the internal Logos keyboard to Greek.

While I can see why it would be nice to have the two systems in sync, that's probably hard and introduces unnecessary complexity into the system. If you're already using the built-in OS functionality, you'll probably want to turn off the new keyboard selector. There's a new setting coming soon.

Is there something this new system would do for you that you don't already get by using the built-in OS language controls?

Harry Hahne:
Another suggestion would be to display the current system language in the keyboard selector instead of simply "default". It would be more meaningful to display "English" or whatever the language the user has in the system.

It's not technically a language. It's a script. So it would say Latin, which might be confusing to some users. Default works for whatever the user's default language and script is, whether English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, etc.

Posts 1019
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2019 12:15 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Harry Hahne:

It's not technically a language. It's a script. So it would say Latin, which might be confusing to some users. Default works for whatever the user's default language and script is, whether English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, etc.

I get this. Many academics install the Windows "International" keyboard, because it makes entering diacritical marks on Western European languages easier.

Although Windows has now changed their description of the various input methods to "languages". I think because it changes the keyboard and some other stuff in the system.

For my Windows 10 computer, the Input Method symbol on the taskbar is EN and hovering over it shows English. I can switch to ΕΛ, which is short for  ελληνικά (the Greek word for "Greek").

I am fine with the new system as long as it is available anywhere a user would type in Logos, including notes and entering articles lexicons. Consistency is good!

A keyboard shortcut might be nice too. In Windows, you can switch keyboards with Shift+Space, which is fast and easy while typing.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS