"Hearing the Message" VS "Zondervan Exegetical"

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 7 2019 6:31 AM

Does anyone know if these two Zondervan commentary series offered in LOGOS are actually the same thing?

Daniel Block has videos discussing the purpose of both titles in YouTube.  Based on those videos, I got the impression that both commentary sets were approached in the same way, but that the Zondervan Exegetical set is more technical.

Here are the YouTube URLs.

Hearing the Message:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0roQNc7sfk 

Zondervan Exegetical:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5f15Ds0eXw&t=186s 

But in Logos, both series appear to be the same thing.  For example, in both sets, Jonah is 192 pages and Obadiah is 128 pages.  Logos also shows both sets with publication dates of 2015 at the top of the series page, but then at the individual volume level, shows the publication dates as 2014.

I'm wondering if perhaps Zondervan originally planned to produce the commentaries under the "Hearing the Message" series title, but then changed the series title to "Zondervan Exegetical". 

Posts 6410
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 7:00 AM

Some got rebranded and reformatted.  As soon as I purchased ZECOT Obadiah and Jonah it started showing that I owned the other versions. The only one that hasn’t been rebranded and reformatted yet is the one on Daniel by Christopher JH Wright https://www.logos.com/product/151668/hearing-the-message-of-daniel-sustaining-faith-in-todays-world

DAL

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 7:39 AM

DAL:

Some got rebranded and reformatted.  As soon as I purchased ZECOT Obadiah and Jonah it started showing that I owned the other versions. The only one that hasn’t been rebranded and reformatted yet is the one on Daniel by Christopher JH Wright https://www.logos.com/product/151668/hearing-the-message-of-daniel-sustaining-faith-in-todays-world

DAL

Thanks, Dal!  I have 11 of the ZECNT commentaries (believe that's all the NT volumes), but none of the three OT volumes I'm aware of (Ruth, Jonah, and Obadiah).  I'm considering them, but they seem a little thin and possibly over-priced even with the current sale.  Do you have them?  If so, and if you've had a chance to look at them, I'd be interested in your thoughts on them.  Right now, my cost for the three OT volumes would be $35 and change.

Posts 941
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 7:58 AM

DAL:

DAL

DAL 

The Christopher Wright book isn't in the same series. It's a series of sermons rather than an exegetical commentary like the ZECNT/OT books.

Posts 6410
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 8:15 AM

Sorry Rick, but I haven’t had a chance to go over them.  I’m planning on doing some  Bible lessons in Spanish based on these short OT books.  I will be using those as a base. I’ll try to post when I get to it (It’ll be til early next year, though.  $35 doesn’t seem so bad — you can always return them if you don’t like them.

DAL

Posts 941
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 8:21 AM

Remember that Ruth, Jonah and Obadiah themselves are short books. I don't think you'll find many (if any) commentaries are as long and detailed on Obadiah for instance.

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 8:44 AM

DAL:

Sorry Rick, but I haven’t had a chance to go over them.  I’m planning on doing some  Bible lessons in Spanish based on these short OT books.  I will be using those as a base. I’ll try to post when I get to it (It’ll be til early next year, though.  $35 doesn’t seem so bad — you can always return them if you don’t like them.

DAL

Thanks, Dal!  I hope you find them helpful in your preparation.  True, I can return them, thanks to Faithlife's generous return policy.  I've purchased (and kept) many, many things that I wouldn't have purchased without the return policy, but I have returned a couple of things this year and really hate doing that, so would like to avoid any more returns if possible.  I try my best to only purchase things I think there's a good chance I will keep.  Part of that approach involves vetting resources via forum feedback before purchasing and it has helped a lot.

Posts 6410
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 8:47 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Remember that Ruth, Jonah and Obadiah themselves are short books. I don't think you'll find many (if any) commentaries are as long and detailed on Obadiah for instance.

Yet, look at this Philemon’s Commentary checking in at 549 pages.  😜

https://www.logos.com/product/7450/eerdmans-critical-commentary-the-letter-to-philemon

More than double the size of the ZECOT on Jonah!

DAL

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 8:51 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Hi, Paul!  Very true that these are short books.  That's one of the reasons I was feeling they were a bit over-priced.  The "per page" price is quite a bit higher than it's been for most of my purchases.  I'll probably review a few past purchases just to make sure my memory of most "per page" prices in the past have indeed been as low as I remember.  

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 9:05 AM

I just checked several past commentary purchases.  The price per page for these three ZECOT volumes (Ruth, Jonah, Obadiah) is well over three times what I paid for any of the other purchases, including two previous purchases for ZECNT volumes.  I think I'll pass for now on the ZECOT volumes.

Posts 10038
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 9:40 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
I have 11 of the ZECNT commentaries (believe that's all the NT volumes)

Can't be. I have 13 of those, covering 17 of the NT books - missing are 2Cor, Phil, the Pastorals, Peter, Jude, Hebrews & Rev

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 2:41 PM

NB.Mick:

Rick Ausdahl:
I have 11 of the ZECNT commentaries (believe that's all the NT volumes)

Can't be. I have 13 of those, covering 17 of the NT books - missing are 2Cor, Phil, the Pastorals, Peter, Jude, Hebrews & Rev

Yup... there are 13.  I just checked for unowned NT volumes and had two come up:  Romans and First Corinthians.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS