Please stop pushing NT Wright

Page 2 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 60 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6591
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 6:23 PM

MJ. Smith:

Aaargh ... this flap has given me a sense of obligation to read more of Wright to see what the fuss is all about.  My list was already very long so I'm not particularly pleased. 

Hahaha The OP’s post backfired on him 😂😂😂😂 Now everybody wants to read Wright 😜😜😜😜

Posts 142
James Macleod | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 8:11 PM

CharlyG:

N T Wright has gone off the rails and is no longer orthodox. Stop making him seem like the be all and end all of authors. His views on Paul and penal substitution are absolute heresy. Wretched has a couple of videos with MacArthur and Johnson pointing out just a few errors.

He may have been orthodox in his earlier writings, but unworthy of anyone';s attention now.

I don't want my bible software/ebook publisher deciding for me what is and what isn't heretical. Also, as others have noted, even heretical works are useful for research. 

Posts 9
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 8:13 PM

Rick Carmickle:

I happen to like much of what NT Wright has written, although I am still exploring certain nuances of his theology.

However, I think the original post is simply pointing out that Wright gets a lot of publicity on Logos.  And I think it is unnecessary to pummel him as a rule breaker and report him to the authorities. Let the post live or die on its own. It’s not about debating Wright’s theology, it’s about Logos’s publicity of Wright.  Having said that, I am looking forward to his coming book this November. 

Hmm.  This one sentence supports your point:  "Stop making him seem like the be all and end all of authors."  The other five sentences, um, not really.  ;-)

Posts 10599
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 4:53 AM

DAL:
Hahaha The OP’s post backfired on him 😂😂😂😂 Now everybody wants to read Wright 😜😜😜😜

Not everyone Stick out tongue

Posts 6591
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 5:33 AM

Jack Caviness:

DAL:

You already read him, so seconds don’t count 😂

Posts 2372
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 5:37 AM

Jack Caviness:

Nope. I read one book by him, and that was sufficient to be convinced that, to put it mildly, there are some hermeneutical problems.

However, I want "Dracula" to come back! Zip it!

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 10321
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 6:51 AM

Jan Krohn:
there are some hermeneutical problems.

Yes, but the gentleman is so driven to achieve page count, that you really have to strive hard to find it. You'll fall asleep first.

Posts 2372
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 7:03 AM

Denise:
Yes, but the gentleman is so driven to achieve page count, that you really have to strive hard to find it. You'll fall asleep first.

So true! 🤣

Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 6591
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 7:49 AM

Jan Krohn:

Denise:

So true! 🤣

Wright’s got some interesting points, but he really needs to cut back on the story telling before he makes a simple point.  It’s like he graduated from Toastmasters and adopted their speech technique of tell a story and make a point, tell another story and make another point and then tell yet another story and make another point! That becomes a big time snoozer after a while. So if you suffer from insomnia read any book written by Wright  his stories will put you to sleep “Wright” away 😂😴

Posts 9010
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 8:37 AM

James Macleod:
I don't want my bible software/ebook publisher deciding for me what is and what isn't heretical. Also, as others have noted, even heretical works are useful for research. 

This summarizes my thoughts as well.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9010
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 8:39 AM

Jan Krohn:
However, I want "Dracula" to come back! 

Somehow Dracula seems to often make it into these sort of conversations. Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6591
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 8:47 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Jan Krohn:
However, I want "Dracula" to come back! 

Somehow Dracula seems to often make it into these sort of conversations. Smile

Dracula was brought back so I purchased it before they thought about removing it again 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 2372
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 9:01 AM

DAL:
Dracula was brought back so I purchased it before they thought about removing it again 👍😁👌

Yes, as a low quality ebook. I have it too. I'd much prefer a full Logos edition though, or rather a Noet edition.

Posts 3150
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 10:46 AM

As a post-script to my earlier tome:

My explanation for why Wright appears so much in Logos marketing material is quite simple: his stuff sells. 

If everybody stopped buying Wright's work, the marketing of it would die down in time.

Posts 360
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 10:54 AM

Hey CharlyG, if you want to blow off steam it is ok because DAL misquoted. It is NOT FORUM RULES but it is stated by logos as FORUM GUIDELINES.  How about everybody leave CharlyG alone instead of judging him. (Two wrongs make a right!!!).

Posts 1190
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 12:03 PM

MJ. Smith:

Aaargh ... this flap has given me a sense of obligation to read more of Wright to see what the fuss is all about.  My list was already very long so I'm not particularly pleased. 

OK...everyone must admit...this is hilarious!

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 5162
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 2:13 PM

This thread is doing a good job of promoting NT Wright. Maybe it’s time for FL to promote DA Carson while this thread continues to do the job for NT Wright.

Personally I like having resources that present different views in my Library. Thankful the OP can choose to have only resources in their library they agree with - everybody wins.

Posts 19
Tong Shin Kai Clarence | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 8:01 PM

I think Logos being bible software needs to promote different books with different viewpoints.  This is just how a company operates. Frankly, I like the different kind of books because I find that it widens the perspective and helps me to see how people think. I might not agree with all of what they say but at least I give it a chance to hear what they say.

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2019 3:28 AM

CharlyG:

N T Wright has gone off the rails and is no longer orthodox. Stop making him seem like the be all and end all of authors. His views on Paul and penal substitution are absolute heresy. Wretched has a couple of videos with MacArthur and Johnson pointing out just a few errors.

He may have been orthodox in his earlier writings, but unworthy of anyone';s attention now.

This is timely!  I just saw N.T. Wright Monday night at Samford Unversity in Birmingham, AL, and I'm going back again tonight!

I agree with the responses in this thread.  I don't want Faithlife deciding for me what is heretical or not.  For instance, I would take Wright over MacArthur any day, but I don't expect them to stop selling MacArthur, and how many times have people asked for Bart Ehrman?  You can still learn a  lot from reading authors with whom you disagree.  If nothing else, it would prepare you to better defend why you believe the way you do.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2372
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2019 3:44 AM

Joseph Turner:
and how many times have people asked for Bart Ehrman?

Correct. We need Ehrman, but also Dawkins, Hitchens etc. in order to understand the errors in their reasoning.

Maybe Noet would be the right platform for such dedicated atheist writers?

Page 2 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS