Did Logos Get Dumped from the Search Engines?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 11 2019 7:22 PM

Tonight I made several DuckDuck and Google searches. Zippo Logos.com, even though Logos had the resources. Ironically, even Bibleworks had results (along with Accordance, ChristianDiscount, and hundreds more).

'Historically' Logos.com has been a major 1st page player.

Not important; I just use the search engines due to the new Logos.com search is so hard to access.

Posts 503
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2019 8:19 PM

Denise:

Tonight I made several DuckDuck and Google searches. Zippo Logos.com, even though Logos had the resources. Ironically, even Bibleworks had results (along with Accordance, ChristianDiscount, and hundreds more).

'Historically' Logos.com has been a major 1st page player.

Not important; I just use the search engines due to the new Logos.com search is so hard to access.

Not 100% sure if I perhaps misread your intention, but I get the following results in Google just for the term "logos"

For the term "logos.com" I get the following results

I only did Google searches

Posts 5013
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2019 8:30 PM

Denise is searching for specific books and not getting Logos in the search results as a site from which the book can be purchased.

Posts 503
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2019 8:53 PM

Ah, thanks. I had the feeling I was misreading her post. Stick out tongue

Posts 2310
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2019 1:23 AM

I suspect it has to do with the revamp of the Logos website. The new product pages don't seem to be particularly search engine friendly or search engine optimized.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2019 9:00 AM

Denise:

Denise, would you mind providing a few examples so we can investigate? Our search ranking for products should have improved with the new site, so I'm surprised to hear you're seeing fewer Logos results.

Denise:
the new Logos.com search is so hard to access.

If you have time to share, it would be helpful to hear more about this; what you have a hard time finding, and how it could be made better. There have been significant search improvements in the last few months (and more coming!), so your specific feedback on what is and isn't working is valuable to us. Thank you!

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2019 10:49 AM

Hi Celeste

I really don't care; I just thought it odd.

Here's an easy one on DuckDuck. I paged until I gave up. Amazon showed, etc. Even Bart Ehrman's blog had something. Regarding searches, on a mini, the search window is tiny, so you have to type in the dark and no edits. Ergo DuckDuck.

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2019 11:21 AM

Denise:
Here's an easy one on DuckDuck. I paged until I gave up. Amazon showed, etc. Even Bart Ehrman's blog had something. Regarding searches, on a mini, the search window is tiny, so you have to type in the dark and no edits. Ergo DuckDuck.

Thanks, Denise. That's helpful information. We are doing some work now to improve our author data and author searchability Smile
We'll take a look at the issues of using search on a smaller touchscreen, thanks for the feedback. 

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2019 11:38 AM

While we want you to be able to use our own site search to find what you're looking for, I thought I'd pass along this search engine tip - you can specify what site you want a search engine to search by using "site:www.example.com" in the search bar. 

"site:www.logos.com jodi magness"

Posts 1095
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2019 12:01 PM

Celeste Fiorillo:

While we want you to be able to use our own site search to find what you're looking for, I thought I'd pass along this search engine tip - you can specify what site you want a search engine to search by using "site:www.example.com" in the search bar. 

"site:www.logos.com jodi magness"

She can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the broader point Denise is making is that the Logos.com domain isn't optimized correctly to display in general, everyday searches by everyday folks, thus potentially resulting in significant new customer /sales losses for Faithlife. The average consumer wont know to use site:logos.com, as they may not have ever heard of Logos.com. The idea would be, through the search optimization, to introduce them to the site through high-level search hits.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2019 12:35 PM

Myke Harbuck:
She can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the broader point Denise is making is that the Logos.com domain isn't optimized correctly to display in general, everyday searches by everyday folks, thus potentially resulting in significant new customer /sales losses for Faithlife. The average consumer wont know to use site:logos.com, as they may not have ever heard of Logos.com. The idea would be, through the search optimization, to introduce them to the site through high-level search hits.

Oh, absolutely! I didn't mean for that to come across as a cop-out, but thanks for clarifying! We have a number of author related search optimization projects in the works, and search optimization in general is a top priority for us. We have made significant recent improvements and are still working on it. Hearing specific examples like Denise's are always helpful as well. Thank you for your input!

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2019 2:00 PM

Celeste Fiorillo:

Denise:

Thanks, Denise. That's helpful information. We are doing some work now to improve our author data and author searchability Smile
We'll take a look at the issues of using search on a smaller touchscreen, thanks for the feedback. 

Ok, Celeste, you're being difficult. I'm smiling. Not just authors.

I went to Logos.com and picked a title that has broad appeal. And could come up under multiple variations. Then I went to DuckDuck. Even Barnes and Noble beat Logos' 2nd page. Along with the Big-A (twice), ChristianDiscount, etc. I've never even heard of ChurchSource!

Again, not to offend, but something happened. The easy answer is the new site, but I doubt it.  Seems like something else. It's also kind of odd DuckDuck matches Google so closely.

Anyway, thank you for the site: hint (my less-lazy choice)!

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2019 2:53 PM

Denise:
Ok, Celeste, you're being difficult. I'm smiling. Not just authors.

Not intentionally Stick out tongue Thanks for bearing with me. Tongue Tied

Denise:
Again, not to offend, but something happened. The easy answer is the new site, but I doubt it.  Seems like something else. It's also kind of odd DuckDuck matches Google so closely.

Thanks for another example. I'll try a few out myself too. Does seem odd - we'll look into it some more. 

EDIT: I just spot checked ~20 titles and was able to find them all in the top 10 search results of Google. Weird. I'll try to find a pattern why some aren't ranking well.

Posts 1426
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 6:01 AM

Is it intentional? when I search Master Journal Bundle 4.1 (2,260+ vols.) it comes out only on verbum.com site and doesn't show logos.com?

See this link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Master+Journal+Bundle+4.1+(2%2C260%2B+vols.)&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS860US860&oq=Master+Journal+Bundle+4.1+(2%2C260%2B+vols.)&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3.263j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 6:28 AM

Wild Eagle:
when I search Master Journal Bundle 4.1 (2,260+ vols.) it comes out
at Logos.com as first hit. Likewise when I follow your search link. Verbum is not even in the results (possibly Google doing their pruning of duplicate results).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3217
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 6:47 AM

NB.Mick:

Wild Eagle:
when I search Master Journal Bundle 4.1 (2,260+ vols.) it comes out
at Logos.com as first hit. Likewise when I follow your search link. Verbum is not even in the results (possibly Google doing their pruning of duplicate results).

Interesting. When I use that search link, Verbum.com is #1 result, and Logos.com is hidden as the duplicate result.

Posts 1426
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 7:17 AM

PetahChristian:

Interesting. When I use that search link, Verbum.com is #1 result, and Logos.com is hidden as the duplicate result.

If I remove "+", Master Journal Bundle 4.1 (2,260 vols.), then I see logos.com, but not verbum.com. It does look like Google is pruning their duplicates and picks either logos or verbum. The problem is that the search engine decides which one to display

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 3048
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 7:30 AM

Wild Eagle:
It does look like Google is pruning their duplicates and picks either logos or verbum. The problem is that the search engine decides which one to display

I don't remember for sure whether this behaviour happened before Logos.com switched to the new site, but I'm not convinced it did.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS